What's new

I really just thought MDC was hype

I tried the Original years ago and wasn't that impressed by it. But I may have to order a sample from Maggard's and give it another chance.

Dear gents,
I found that PannaCrema Nuavia seems to be a bit cheaper.
Could Nuavia be a good alternative of MdC?
Thank you.

+1! MdC illustrates the difference between ‘cost’ and ‘value.’

It is expensive, but provides great shaves. And it lasts and lasts!

Cost/shave is the best metric IMO. :a29: :a29:

You also get more soap than most competing artisan or mass-market brands.

Cost per shave is probably less than a lot of other soaps.

I have never tried MDC so far.
Could 3P shaving soaps blocks be on par with MDC?
Some gents in this forum indicated that 3P and MDC almost have the same ingredients.
Thanks for your inputs.
Dear gents,
I found that PannaCrema Nuavia seems to be a bit cheaper.
Could Nuavia be a good alternative of MdC?
Thank you.

I’ve owned all 3. None are similar to each other in any way.

are you trying to find a cheap mdc alternative?

Dear @guitarslinger,
Yes.
At first, I want to find a cheaper alternative of MdC.
However, after reading some gents' post here, MdC seems to be unique.

it is fairly unique. I had the rose, but sold it after one use. The scent wasn’t how Rose smells to me.

it shaved well though. I would consider trying another flavor for the right price.

if you want something cheaper, also French, hard, exotic, long lasting, and great shaving, check out pre de Provence.

i'm an MDC fanboy and have all the scents.

i really like how clean and easy it washes away when i'm finished.

It is so slick that of all my soaps that I have my razor slips out of my grasp while shaving if I'm not careful.
After I rinse after a pass the slickness is still there on my face, then my hands. I could probably do a pass after rinsing with no irritation.

+1 With a good post shave performing soap you don’t need any balms and lotions. One less thing to worry about.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

I like slick'n'thin lather for shaving followed by a slick'n'thick post-shave lather. Most soaps do a great job for me but MdC is the best for skin-feel post-shave (with MWF coming in a close second [though I'm not keen on its scent]).

B2+FatipOCS_2020-03-23.jpg

I have average skin which isn't easily upset, but one soap of note — Wickham 1912 — gives me great shaves but is hopeless for post-shave. It makes my face feel really uncomfortable and tight if I do a post-shave lather with it.

it is fairly unique. I had the rose, but sold it after one use. The scent wasn’t how Rose smells to me.

it shaved well though. I would consider trying another flavor for the right price.

if you want something cheaper, also French, hard, exotic, long lasting, and great shaving, check out pre de Provence.

You might try some samples of MdC to see which you like best. The samples last longer than your average artisan soap sample in my experience. My favorite is Agrumes.

You might try some samples of MdC to see which you like best. The samples last longer than your average artisan soap sample in my experience. My favorite is Agrumes.

It's really nice that there're samples of MdC available these days. Back when I got my MdC, you either got a full jar directly from France or you waited for a used jar to show up on the BST...and those BST jars went quick. Having a way of trying it without dropping $50+ on a soap sight-unseen is huge IMO. (Especially since it would've helped me avoid getting a jar of the original, finding out it burned my face, and having to then hunt down a jar of unscented.)

It's also really cool they've started doing scents in the meantime...back then, you had original and unscented. I'm probably going to order samples of the other scents sometime soon.

What is MDC?

It's Martin de Candre, a vegan shaving soap from France that has a reputation of being both very good and very expensive. A single 200g jar will last you forever and a half, but on a site like Maggard's or WCS a jar is about $70-80 depending on the scent, so it's a major upfront investment. (It's more like 50 Euros directly from MdC, but shipping from France is crazy expensive, so that'll also easily be $70-80 after shipping.)

Reactions: Ska
Top Bottom