What's new

I need a vacuum that really sucks! .... in a good way, of course.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hey Doc,

Do you have pets? If so the Dyson Animal can't be beat. Plus it is purple a real ladies color.:laugh:We have 3 cats and it picks up everything. We have had it for 3 years with no problem. When we 1st bought it I did the last sweeping with our Kenmore canister. I then got out the Dyson and filled up the canister in 1 room. That is how much the Kenmoor missed and the Dyson picked up.

I do not know if SWMBO ever gets the 20% off coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond, they sell them and it knocks a big chunk out of an almost $400.00 price tag.

I told my SWMBO she was freaking crazy spending that for a vac. She was right it is an awesome piece of equipment. Using the attatchments are easy. The handle comes off and spins around and hooks to the hose and you are good to go.

Good luck Ian!

Yes, get a Royal Commercial All Metal Upright. Be sure to get the attachment kit.

They should last for at least 30 years. Maintenance involves changing the bag and belt and getting it serviced every few years.

The one my parents bought in 1979 is still going strong.

Thanks,
Mike

I bought a Royal Commercial Vacuum. http://www.royalvacuums.com/Commercial/AllMetalUprights/M1028Z.aspx
I got tired of hoovers and eurekas breaking so decided to get something that will last. If it's good enough for maids 8hrs a day for years should last me a lifetime. Cleans very well too.

Last edited:
My only problem with many of these suggestions is the volume. Those Kirbys sound like a freight train. We also found the Dyson Animal didn't clean nearly as well as the Miele and Sebo.

We have a Eureka "The Boss" Smartvac. The thing is wonderful and powerful. The only drawback is that it's hard to maneuver in smaller rooms. If you have a vast, clear area of carpet to work on, it's a dream.

It's like cutting grass, if you have a lot of trees to go around in your yard, it makes for tough going!

I sold Filter Queens for a brief stint during my bachelors degree and they are by far the best vaccums I have used. We would do comparisons with Kirbys and they blew away the Kirbys every time. Actually, they always beat what ever we were comparing them with. This is the vacuum my wife and I have in our home. It is not an upright, it's a canister but they can be had for around $500 on the bay new.

We've got a Dyson, gets the job done. I don't know much about this stuff, but I like how it has no bags, maybe they are all like this now.

- Aaron

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I just bought a Dyson DC23 Animal, the canister with the extra attachments. All I have to say is, this is the vacuum for someone who doesn't like to clean. I live in a 3 bedroom house with a finished attic, so my house is pretty vertical so for me the canister was the way to go so I didn't have to lug an upright up and down steps all the time. But I found out the real advantage of having a canister is the fact that you can run it everywhere. The first week I had it I literally cleaned the house top to bottom using the hard floor attachments on the ceilings, and walls, brush attachment on the fans, turbine head on the carpet, mini turbine head on all the furniture, and hard floor attachment on all the hardwood.

I never had a good vacuum before, only cheap Walmart vacs, and I couldn't believe the difference the Dyson sucked up so much stuff that the other vacs left behind, including dog hair left from a dog my roommate had, and he moved out 2 years ago!

Got the old model Dyson Animal about 4 years ago, pretty heavy but a good bit of kit. After about 20 seconds when it has booted itself up you really feel it gripping onto the carpet with its suction.

Do you guys have the Dyson Handryer over there?

proxy.php

I've got a Kirby Sentria and it is awesome. Substantial piece of machinery not some plastic tinker toy that will last a year.:thumbup:

Dyson vacuums seem to be getting the most mention here. Has anybody read his biography? When he first invented the bag-less cyclonic vacuum, he offered to sell the technology to companies like Hoover, but they had no interest because vacuum bag sales were so lucrative. His current worth is about 1 billion dollars, so I guess he had the last laugh -- and still continues to.

Apparently, he was knighted as I now see it is Sir James Dyson.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dyson vacuums seem to be getting the most mention here. Has anybody read his biography? When he first invented the bag-less cyclonic vacuum, he offered to sell the technology to companies like Hoover, but they had no interest because vacuum bag sales were so lucrative. His current worth is about 1 billion dollars, so I guess he had the last laugh -- and still continues to.

Apparently, he was knighted as I now see it is Sir James Dyson.
But...can you vacuum under a bed with a Dyson & tight spots? No because the 'ball' is too big & gets in the way :bored:

Christophe :badger:

The Mrs. & I love our 3yr old (we've tried many others..you name it..we've tried it), Hoover Platinum Lightweight Bagged Upright Vacuum with Handheld Canister, has great suction power and we've had no problems with this unit :thumbup:

proxy.php

http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=UH30010COM&ds=false

Christopher :badger:

that's a blast from the past - the vacuum store I worked for sold that canister - it was called 'portapower vac' back then. Very powerful and built to last. Small bag filled up quick, but replacements were cheap or you could go with a cloth 'shake-out' bag. I would recommend it if it's still available as a stand alone unit.

DYSON - I actually did the drill of vacuming with out Hoover and then going over it with the dyson-it was amazing, esp. picking out the pug dog hairs. We also have an Oreck and like the weight for stairs etc. Neither have ever had any problems.

The wife and I looked at a Dyson ball and just couldn't pull the trigger on it. It was awkward to operate and after having a few vacuums with self winding cords, we couldn't live without one. Maybe if it wasn't so expensive.

Went to Target and picked up a Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind on sale for about $110. It's my favorite vacuum I've ever used and it sure picks up stuff better than any vacuum I've used, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to the others mentioned here. I had just vacuumed with our old vacuum the day before (A normal Hoover WindTunnel) and I filled up the new WindTunnel Pet in one room.

Top Bottom