What's new

I Just Ordered A Blackland Osprey Razor! ( My First Blackland Razor! )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Somebody on the forum, wanted to know what the razor pieces looked like, on the inside. Some folks, still don't even know, that this razor is a 3-piece design! I know, I'm shocked! 🤯 So this is just a quick photo update only, showing the pieces taken apart, and dried, on my shave towel.

IMG_6028.JPG

If the high resolution should ever get posted, hopefully the X, will turn into a picture later. If not, you have the direct upload above to look at.

proxy.php

After I took the photo, I applied a drop of Wahl clipper oil onto the top cap threads, as well as a drop of oil on the handle threads. This seemed to help smoothen out the threading a bit.

repost:

THIRD USE OF THE OSPREY WITH A MILD BLADE
Today I used the MY-Blades Platinum blade, which are now available. The blade is a mild blade. I started at setting 4 on the Osprey and found that the shave wasn't getting the stubble. I increased to level 5 and the razor and the blade were great. The combo was very comfortable and smooth and yet very efficient. The Osprey worked flawlessly and I made a point of changing the setting wheel with wet foamy hands. I had no issue in doing so, so that is no longer an issue for me. The head is low enough in profile that I can easily get to the hard to reach areas. The weight and balance make the razor very easy to maneuver.
I did use a different blade and soap today to see if the shave experience would waiver. It did not. Another very good shave using the Osprey and a very good MY-Blades blade.
So far, after 3 shaves, the Osprey is doing very well. I will now stop using it for a few days and come back to it and see how I feel then.

Late to the thread! (as usual, Lol!!)
First of all Chris, I read you didn't feel good a few days ago. Hope you've recovered from that!
I'm happy for you that you got the Osprey. It looks awesome and I'm glad you're loving it.
I remember when you first bought the Rex and look at you now!!
Enjoy it my friend!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Late to the thread! (as usual, Lol!!)

Truer words have never been spoken. 😝

First of all Chris, I read you didn't feel good a few days ago. Hope you've recovered from that!

Yeah, that was rough 2-weeks ago! It all started with my vision going out, and I Googled it, and it said I was having a migraine without the headache. Later the same day, I developed the headache, and I took some powerful over the counter medicine, an Advil product with Acitomitiphine mixed in. A couple days later, and I returned to normal.

I'm happy for you that you got the Osprey. It looks awesome and I'm glad you're loving it.

Thank you! My Blackland Osprey is probably the best razor I have ever bought, it certainly is designed like it anyways. No, its not titanium, this is true, but it is really high end stainless steel though, CNC machined with love, so I honestly consider that just as good. Yup, I am loving it indeed! 😍

I remember when you first bought the Rex and look at you now!!

WOW, that sure takes me back! March of 2022, is when I purchased my Rex Ambassador. It was bought to replace my Feather AS-D2 razor. And while the Rex, certainly provided me the higher levels of efficiency I was looking for, holy cow what a rough shaver it is. If you ever want to know what it feels like, to be shaved by a T-Rex, just have a shave with a Rex Ambassador, and you will find out lol.

big t rex GIF

Enjoy it my friend!

Literally, everytime I shave my friend! 😊

Truer words have never been spoken. 😝

Yeah, that was rough 2-weeks ago! It all started with my vision going out, and I Googled it, and it said I was having a migraine without the headache. Later the same day, I developed the headache, and I took some powerful over the counter medicine, an Advil product with Acitomitiphine mixed in. A couple days later, and I returned to normal.

Thank you! My Blackland Osprey is probably the best razor I have ever bought, it certainly is designed like it anyways. No, its not titanium, this is true, but it is really high end stainless steel though, CNC machined with love, so I honestly consider that just as good. Yup, I am loving it indeed! 😍

WOW, that sure takes me back! March of 2022, is when I purchased my Rex Ambassador. It was bought to replace my Feather AS-D2 razor. And while the Rex, certainly provided me the higher levels of efficiency I was looking for, holy cow what a rough shaver it is. If you ever want to know what it feels like, to be shaved by a T-Rex, just have a shave with a Rex Ambassador, and you will find out lol.

big t rex GIF

Literally, everytime I shave my friend! 😊
I wonder why your Ambassador was like that!
I have the Envoy which is essentially the Ambassador on setting #3 and it's probably one of the best DE's that I own. Weird!

FOURTH SHAVE WITH THE OSPREY
Today was my fourth shave using a Wizamet (1). 3 pass shave with 2 days growth. I have to tell you that, at first, I wasn't sure there was a blade in the razor. I used a steeper angle and had the setting at 5 all the way but for the ATG under the nose, then 2. My reaction: MARVELOUS.
I had no trouble with the weight or balance. I shave with my glasses so the numbers weren't an issue. Funny aside. When I was getting ready to shave, I tried turning the setting wheel and it wouldn't budge. I got worried and didn't want to over torque it. Then, yes even with my glasses, I realized I was using the Blackland Logo as the setting pointer. I turned the razor around and saw that it was at 9. Oh Boy, getting old aint for sissys.
Great razor, will keep using it for another week or so and make a decision. But as of now, it is a keeper.
Great shaves to all.

Welcome to Part 2 of SWCT's Review of the Blackland Osprey Adjustable razor. In this post, I am going to cover my shaving experience!

View attachment 1734348

( 1 ) 7-Day Whisker Shave ( Monday Evening Shave )
( 2 ) Hot Water Prep, Hot Water Shave, Western Freedom Water Cold Rinse!
( 3 ) Face Washed With Stirling Bath Soap, PAA Pre-Shave Ice 2.0 Cube Used!
( 4 ) Wizamet Super Iridium Blade 2nd Use!
( 5 ) Saponificio Varesino Shave Soap Used!

( 6 ) Saponificio Varesino Opuntia Aftershave Used!
( 7 ) Stirling 125G Alum Block Used!
( 8 ) Zenith Blue Chubby 28mm Manchurian Badger Brush Used!

I know I should have started a new razor off with a brand new blade. But I had a Wizamet blade with only 2-shaves on it, from when I last used it in my Timeless Bronze razor, and I didn't want to waste it! Someone on the forum suggested that I should use a special soap, I didn't really know what they meant by that, but I assumed maybe they meant a top tier soap? So I decided that I would use my SV soap. For those who are still trying to crack the code on how to use SV soap. A quick lesson for you. Place 2-teaspoons of warm/hot water on the top of the soap puk, while you are also soaking your chosen brush, in your mug, and wait 5-minutes.

Prep your face with a wash and a pre-shave application as needed. Then shake out your brush 5-times, then using the H2O soapy mixed liquid on the top of the puk, start loading the brush heavily for 30-seconds. If done correctly, you should have enough lather for a 3-pass shave, and perhaps more for buffing. Then deliver some lovely H2O with a spray bottle to your face, and start facial lathering. Repeat H2O spray onto the lather, until you've worked up a nice creamy yogurt consistency, now your ready! Once my face was prepped, I began to shave.

proxy.php

I began my WTG passes on setting level 6. I was truly amazed at how smooth the razor was shaving, smoother then my Timeless TI95, smoother then my Timeless Bronze .038, smoother then my Rex Ambassador, smoother then my Merkur Futur, and smoother then my Gillette Fatboy I think. Not only that, but this razor was providing me the feeling, that it was also so much safer to use on my skin. While level 6 was certainly getting the job done, I felt that I should have raised the level higher, to gain even more efficiency, due to the amount of growth I was taking off.

I managed to hack everything off in the first WTG passes, and it already made me BBS smooth in a couple spots on my cheeks, and almost DFS at other places. I can't remember the last time that happened! 😲 I didn't feel any blade feel at all, when using level 6 BTW. Just a smooth efficient shave! This razor feels so good to hold and wield, the weight is just balanced so well, I am having a ball of fun here.

I began my XTG passes on setting level 4. With a lower aggression, I am still not feeling any blade feel, but especially not now. Going west to east, and east to west, it sure didn't reduce much more whiskers in the cheeks, considering that the highly efficient WTG passes took care of that! But I was reducing more whiskers in my troubled side burn areas, but they go wacky directions like my neck, so I had to attack them, in different directions. I was able to do my moostash area, super smoothly, lower lip and chin areas went smoothly as well. And I did the usual DTG on my neck.

About 2-inches to the left, and to the right of my adams apple, the whiskers on my neck seem to grow diagonally, and they put up a fight of resistance, I probably should have raised my aggression setting to at least a level 5, but I didn't. Due to my decision to not raise aggression, it was a bit slow going on those parts, but I still got them! With the XTG/DTG passes completed, I felt my face, and I am now at 50% BBS, and 50% DFS! I could have stopped right here, but I have OCD, and my skin must be all glass smooth!

View attachment 1734361View attachment 1734362

I began my ATG passes, since level 4 proved to be so mild for me, I knew that reducing the aggression further, would just result in utter frustration, so I kept it on setting 4. I began the ATG passes on my neck, and there was only audible feedback for 1/4 of my neck, because the DTG pass removed all the whiskers already. When I got to the jaw line, of course there was more feedback, because my jaw line is one of my problem spots, and seems to take forever to get them to a BBS, but I prevail doggone! ATG on my chin and lower lip went perhaps the smoothest out of any razor I've tried, I didn't even know that was possible!

I then did ATG on my cheeks. Now is the point when I noticed, there was still more whiskers to reduce there, but it took the ATG passes to discover them hiding under the skin rug so to speak. Well, thats when I said, "Ohhhhhhh, you thought you could hide from me, with a razor powered by a warp core?" "Ohhhhhhh, I'm quite afraid this razor will be fully operational, when the Wizamet blade arrives." Shashing, off go the whiskers, down the drain. I was able to deliver that BBS to my moostash area, as well as get the remaining under the nose whiskers in the ATG pass, to deliver supreme perfection too.

proxy.php
proxy.php

And, because my neck is, and always shall be, my bane of existence, I had to provide it some divine wisdom. And that wisdom was aggressive negotiations with a razor, to provide the buff of the century, using setting level 4. It was at this moment, when I started wondering, if I should start adjusting my razor, based on the different quarters of my face and neck. I should have raised the aggression to level 5, or perhaps even back up to level 6. But once I finished my buffing on level 4, I was left with some slight irritation from pushing it on my neck, but I did it, a perfect BBS on my neck as well, yessir!

I rubbed that alum block on my face and neck, and I only got a couple sting points on the left and right side of my neck, where I did the buffing. I already expected that, the wise alum block told me nothing I didn't already know. After a nice cold water rinse, then I slapped on that delicious SV aftershave, oh that felt so good to apply, yum! I felt my face and neck after it had dried, 100% BBS shave!

proxy.php

After I was all done, I went to bed a few hours alter, and my face felt much better on the pillow, with not whisker insurgence itching me. 10-hours later, I felt my face, still 100% BBS! 12-hours to 16-hours later, I was now at a DFS. 18-hours later, a combination of CCS and DFS. The 24-hour mark will be fast approaching, so based on my findings, I can make a prediction, that at the 24-hour mark, I am barely going to have anything remotely considered to be 1-day whiskers, when infact, I am likely to be 100% CCS left.

It is in my most humble opinion, that this is the best adjustable razor I ever have bought, not only that, but also the best razor I have ever bought. I think I have indeed found the one folks. Now I have a titanium holy grail with my Timeless TI95 razor, but I also now have a holy grail, with my Blackland Osprey Adjustable razor. Do I really need more razors? Naa, I don't think so lol. To say that I am pleased with the Osprey, would be an understatement. I am truly blown away by this razor, and I am so in love with it, I will never give it up for anything!

This is an durable tank of an razor, without the tank level weight. It is super well built, made to lovely tight CNC tolerances. But if there are any nitpicks ( Nitpicks do not drop stars for me FYI ) I'd like to see the handle thread onto the top cap thread more smoothly. I'd like to see the adjustment knob rotate smoothly like a 5,000 dollar piece of audio stereo equipment. For 350 buckaroos, there shouldn't be any grittyness in the feeling of these two. And I agree with other's, the numbers on the adjustment knob are tough to see. Having said that however, I could still see them, I just had to look harder.

This razor is my new friend, 5-STARS, ( yells out top of lungs outside house window ) I LOVE MY BLACKLAND OSPREY RAZOR WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! :thumbup:

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars

PS: I literally wrote the most detailed review I've ever done on B&B, this is why it took me two-posts to get it done. I need a break. And you people know who you are, stop rushing me, you can't rush art. LMAO! :lol:
Congrats friend!!!!!! Sounds like you found one heck of a new razor there! Can’t wait to hear more about it as the shaves go by.😊👍🏻🥇

5TH SHAVE WITH THE OSPREY AND THE MYSTERY BLADE

Today was my fifth shave with the Osprey. I started on level 7 for the WTG pass, then 5 for the XTG pass and the ATG pass. I went down to level 2 for the upper lip. I gambled on the 7 setting but with the blade and the Osprey, the pass was smooth. Yes, at this level you do feel the blade but it is not off-putting. I had 2 days growth, albeit not heavy nor coarse, but it is there. I was really amazed that at level 2, with almost no blade feel, the razor and blade were extremely efficient. The Blade was fantastic. I used it right after having used the Wizamet the other day and this blade was just as comfortable and sharper. As I mentioned before, I can't divulge the blade identity till it becomes available to all. This should be in a couple of weeks, I hope. It is definitely worth trying.
The Osprey has given me nothing but great shaves. At this point, I would have to say that unless something drastic happens in the next few shaves, this razor stays and is the top of the rotation. Of Course, my rotation is 4 razors long. Nonetheless it is tops.
Also, new to the routine was the Commando soap and A/S. This is very close to the scent of LeLabo Santal 33. It is a bit milder and the scent doesn't last more than 3-4 hours, but the soap was great and the scent was spot on. Very enjoyable.

PRE: PAA CUBE
SOAP: COMMANDO, WET SHAVING STORE
BRUSH: SIMPSON TRAFALGAR T3
BOWL: PEREIRA
RAZOR: BLACKLAND OSPREY
BLADE: MYSTERY ???????
A/S: COMMANDO
BALM: NIVEA SENSITIVE

SCORE: 10/10 BBS

I wonder why your Ambassador was like that!
I have the Envoy which is essentially the Ambassador on setting #3 and it's probably one of the best DE's that I own. Weird!
I have had great shaves with my Rex Ambassador, even considering the blade feel and so called drag effect, still very comfortable, and efficient. I watched Matt's Youtube review of the Osprey, and he had to finish his shave with a Gillette Fatboy! He discusses, supposedly in an unbiased review, the pros and cons of this new razor. After watching his review, he's more of an expert than I, I would hold off just a bit in case more engineering changes are going to occur with the Osprey. Similar to the Rex Ambassador's previous growing pains. My Rex is 2023 and hopefully it is at the end of the engineering change routine. Enjoy reading the comments though, on the performance of the Osprey. Of course YMMV always comes into play. The Osprey certainly looks great, and does exude high quality. For the time being, I'll stick with the Rex.

I have had great shaves with my Rex Ambassador, even considering the blade feel and so called drag effect, still very comfortable, and efficient. I watched Matt's Youtube review of the Osprey, and he had to finish his shave with a Gillette Fatboy! He discusses, supposedly in an unbiased review, the pros and cons of this new razor. After watching his review, he's more of an expert than I, I would hold off just a bit in case more engineering changes are going to occur with the Osprey. Similar to the Rex Ambassador's previous growing pains. My Rex is 2023 and hopefully it is at the end of the engineering change routine. Enjoy reading the comments though, on the performance of the Osprey. Of course YMMV always comes into play. The Osprey certainly looks great, and does exude high quality. For the time being, I'll stick with the Rex.
I am uncomfortable with the whole idea of the owner of Razor Emporium reviewing the Osprey, a razor that is in direct competition with his own Rex Ambassador and Rex Konsul adjustables, and is in the same price range. Maybe he is being completely unbiased, but it’s just not appropriate or professional, in my view.

I haven’t watched the video. Does he at least disclose clearly that he owns Rex Shaving Co. and Blackland is his competitor?

After watching his review, he's more of an expert than I, I would hold off just a bit in case more engineering changes are going to occur with the Osprey.
1st off the guy has never been, nor will be an expert!! He's not even a novice!! The Osprey is so far beyond anything he has ever put his name on its not funny!! He's a shill and hates the fact that even the Rockwell T2 is a superior razor to anything he's put out!!
Similar to the Rex Ambassador's previous growing pains.
The Rex is still in the growing pains stage, where have you been?
I am uncomfortable with the whole idea of the owner of Razor Emporium reviewing the Osprey, a razor that is in direct competition with his own Rex Ambassador and Rex Konsul adjustables, and is in the same price range. Maybe he is being completely unbiased, but it’s just not appropriate or professional, in my view.
What other vendor other than the other idiot in Phoenix would ever do a review on a competitors product, talk about unprofessional!!

I haven’t watched the video. Does he at least disclose clearly that he owns Rex Shaving Co. and Blackland is his competitor?
Yes he certainly does, if I recall the content correctly. To his credit, I admire his take on the razor and I believe he knows the owner personally but not 100% sure about that. He had positive and not so positive takes on the razor. Even my Rex isn't everything I thought it would be, although it does perform pretty well, even on the lower settings. I try to look at all sorts of info on razors, and since I just purchased the Rex, my funds are not available, even if I wanted to purchase this new razor. I know the Blackland razor brand is highly regarded, I only wish I could try one out myself, on a loan maybe, and come to my own conclusions. I have a medium beard, so I'm imagining my shave trial could very well be 180 degrees different from others. I think the Blackland Osprey is a really cool looking razor, however, new is always subject to possible engineering tweaks down the road based on current user comments. The Muhle R41 comes to mind, my 2011 shaves much differently than my 2013! One being an engineering tweak from the other.

1st off the guy has never been, nor will be an expert!! He's not even a novice!! The Osprey is so far beyond anything he has ever put his name on its not funny!! He's a shill and hates the fact that even the Rockwell T2 is a superior razor to anything he's put out!!

The Rex is still in the growing pains stage, where have you been?

What other vendor other than the other idiot in Phoenix would ever do a review on a competitors product, talk about unprofessional!!
The Rex may still be having growing pains, but I'm getting better shaves with it now, than with many of the other well known vintage Gillette and Schick models.

I honestly don't know about the Rex owner but what I can say is that my Envoy is excellent. Build quality & design is A-1 and shave quality is outstanding. I do remember seeing one of his comparison videos a couple years and it seemed bias so I just skipped it and moved on.

Last edited:
I have all 3 available Rex's and most of Blackland's razors, minus the Blackbird lite plus many others. I have been getting amazing shaves from the Osprey. The blade clamping on the Osprey is only matched by my Tatara Muramasa, both are clamped full length of the cutting edge, top AND bottom. All 3 Rex's just push the blade down from the top and are supported on the bottom way behind the edge of the blade. I can feel zero blade chatter on the Osprey/Muramasa but can feel some on the 3 Rex's depending on the blade I use. That said I get nice shaves from the Rex's as well and will definitely keep using them, but they are not as smooth as shaves from the Osprey or Muramasa. I will probably also buy Rex's upcoming slant, the Sentry? just to see if i enjoy it as much as I do the other Rex's.

The outcome of Pisarcik's review was a given and deliberate. I remember laughing to myself when within a couple hours of getting Blackland's email announcing the Osprey, I also got an email from Rex touting their razors.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision buying the Osprey or any of the Rex's (or the Tataras). All are fantastic razors and will serve you and your kids well nearly forever.

Terrible hand held photos using comp screen as backlight but you get the idea of how they clamp

Rex Ambassador
Amb Blake Clamping.png

Tatara Muramasa
Mura Blade Clamping.png

Blackland Osprey
Osprey Blade Clamping.png

The whole "review" from Pisarcik is disingenuous. He takes two swipes with the razor on setting 1 and three short swipes on setting 2 and declares that they don't shave. He does this without attempting to change the shaving angle. I have a hard time accepting any opinion, good or bad, based on such a short testing period. I have my own (minor) quibbles with the Osprey, but it shaves on every setting.

Here's the video for reference.

Top Bottom