What's new

I just compared my Braun foil shaver to my Philips rotary one

The Braun is a 190s-1 and the Philips is an S1332.

My thoughts are...

The Braun did feel a bit nicer and it was easier to get into awkward places like under my nose! I'm not sure yet if the trimmer on either would be equally good for that.

Overall though... I think the Philips has it. I got a closer shave more easily and with less irritation.

So... yeah! I guess that's that.

I just wondered what you guys thought and what your experiences have been like with foil vs rotary.

As for comparisons to wet shaving... the rotary seems equal to a cartridge razor in terms of irritation level and was faster, but not as close a shave of course.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

My thoughts are...

The Braun did feel a bit nicer and it was easier to get into awkward places like under my nose! I'm not sure yet if the trimmer on either would be equally good for that.

Overall though... I think the Philips has it. I got a closer shave more easily and with less irritation.

I just wondered what you guys thought and what your experiences have been like with foil vs rotary.

As for comparisons to wet shaving... the rotary seems equal to a cartridge razor in terms of irritation level and was faster, but not as close a shave of course.
This helps me a LOT my friend!

I have a pretty great son, and his anniversary is coming up, and his day starts very early and he prefers to use an electric.... He has a beard like my dad, kinda sparse except the chin and moustache area.... So I'll be following this thread!

Any of you Gents with ideas, please tag me!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, friend @Hoppimike !

Okay, I apologize; you know I ain't sorry!

Thanks for an EXCELLENT idea for a thread!

@FarmerTan No problem, lol

To be honest though even with the Philips... it's fairly good, but I do have a suspicion that despite the increase in speed, a cartridge razor yields better results.

I feel like it gives a closer shave with possibly less irritation.

As for safety razors... I'm still not sure if they can match the mildness of a cartridge. But I'll keep trying different ones to see if I can find one that can!

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan No problem, lol

To be honest though even with the Philips... it's fairly good, but I do have a suspicion that despite the increase in speed, a cartridge razor yields better results.

I feel like it gives a closer shave with possibly less irritation.

As for safety razors... I'm still not sure if they can match the mildness of a cartridge. But I'll keep trying different ones to see if I can find one that can!
If I weren't cheap I never would have found this Badger and Blade place! Lol! I think the Gillette Sensor was PERFECTION. But they couldn't leave well enough alone, and had to put 5 blades on a cartridge!

Reactions: ctr
If I weren't cheap I never would have found this Badger and Blade place! Lol! I think the Gillette Sensor was PERFECTION. But they couldn't leave well enough alone, and had to put 5 blades on a cartridge!

Hm, I looked it up and they still have a Sensor 3?

I find a lot of 3 blade cartridge razors are pretty good.

I tried using the Philips again today and whilst I still maintain that it's better than the Braun... I still just ended up with quite a bit of irritation before I had an acceptable shave.

So I saved it with a Wilkinson Sword 3 blade cartridge razor! lol

I find 3 blade carts by and large very good, although of course some are better than others.

5 blade carts I've only tried a little. I think some might be OK but some are quite over-engineered and got really gunked up with shaving foam very easily!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My favorite electric is a Panasonic Arc-5. Not sure if that is the current model or not. They have a hypersonic cleaning mode that works very well. No cleaner and solution to mess with (as if I'd do that anyway :) ) But I do like that you can use a bit of regular hand soap and get it super clean. Beats the brush of old days.

I have not used it in well over a year though. I like to lather up too much. Oh, and I know that many electrics work wet or dry. I don't care for wet use at all. Some Williams 'Lectric shave is how I roll.

My thoughts are...

Foil vs rotary is an argument/discussion probably older than DE vs cartridge. And the conclusion is - it depends. For much the same reasons. I use both, and find that they are - different. Foil: generally more comfortable, faster, less effective for longer beards, closer shave. Rotary: the quietest of all electrics, more time for a thorough shave, better for longer growth/more time between shaves, not as comfortable and not as close as a foil. Generally.

FarmerTan

Well, I did some research last night.... I think I'm leaning towards the ARC3? I think it's called? My son is just like looking at my Dad, I swear. Clones, I think. Same EXACT beard pattern of my Dad, and he really prefers electric. And from what I read, a lot of the folks that have used both the 3 blade and the 5 blade, and have sparse beards, really like the ARC-3, or whatever it's called.

Thank you @Scaramouche and @Mempho for the input my friends!

I've used many. Remington foil, Panasonic foil, three different Braun foil, two Norelco rotary. My experience:

Foil shavers give a closer, comfortable shave when used every day (or two). Never got a BBS shave, but certainly socially acceptable and irritation-free.

Rotary shavers suited me better when I shaved less frequently.

When I retired, I would shave twice a week at most, sometimes once per week. At the time, I had a Braun foil shaver and it struggled. Pulling and tugging, and it seemed to take a loooong time to shave. Because I had to go over my beard many times, I got a lot of irritation.

I bought a mid-priced Norelco rotary to see if it would shave more efficiently, and it effortless tore through my 5-7 day growth. No pulling or tugging and it actually gave me a comparable shave to the the Braun without the irritation. Strange however, that the Norelco didn't seem to shave as close on a 1-2 day beard as it did on a week's growth.

Anyway, that's my experience, which when added to two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

FarmerTan

I've used many. Remington foil, Panasonic foil, three different Braun foil, two Norelco rotary. My experience:

Foil shavers give a closer, comfortable shave when used every day (or two). Never got a BBS shave, but certainly socially acceptable and irritation-free.

Rotary shavers suited me better when I shaved less frequently.

When I retired, I would shave twice a week at most, sometimes once per week. At the time, I had a Braun foil shaver and it struggled. Pulling and tugging, and it seemed to take a loooong time to shave. Because I had to go over my beard many times, I got a lot of irritation.

I bought a mid-priced Norelco rotary to see if it would shave more efficiently, and it effortless tore through my 5-7 day growth. No pulling or tugging and it actually gave me a comparable shave to the the Braun without the irritation. Strange however, that the Norelco didn't seem to shave as close on a 1-2 day beard as it did on a week's growth.

Anyway, that's my experience, which when added to two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
And we both remember when all that info and two bucks could buy you and a friend a cup of Joe and three donuts!

My thoughts are...

For me the Braun 190s-1 wins, I love mine just used it tonight. The norelco is more comfortable but not as close, jmo

Top Bottom