What's new

I hate the coffee at work

I work for a company that provides free coffee. The problem is that it is likely the worst coffee ever. I've brought my own coffee in with a carafe, brewed my own...but the water is awful too!

I was thinking of setting this up:

Electric Kettle
Bottled Drinking Water (gallon container)
Good coffee
French Press

Anyone see any potential drawbacks to doing this? It would also help if I wanted to have some tea, which I do during the winter months....

yes, depending on your place in the food chain.. why not make at home and get a yourself a good thermos.

Mine is a unique situation. I have a rather large area (office?) in the back of a warehouse. It's two larger rooms. I'm the only one who works in that room. My boss is okay with things like this, so I don't see any problems from the 'higher-ups'.

yes, depending on your place in the food chain.. why not make at home and get a yourself a good thermos.
+1

Imposing too much of your equipment into the kitchen area (or whatever you have at work) kind of makes a loud statement that you are too good to drink the garbage coffee that everyone else is happy to have.

Maybe if you could get a few others on board, you can change the whole coffee system at work, but creating a satellite coffee station for your private needs probably sends the wrong message.

Edit: Just saw your post about having a lot of your own space - that makes it more viable, but I still think the thermos idea might be best

Mine is a unique situation. I have a rather large area (office?) in the back of a warehouse. It's two larger rooms. I'm the only one who works in that room. My boss is okay with things like this, so I don't see any problems from the 'higher-ups'.

If that is the case it sounds like a french press or a Chemex is the way to go.

I occasionally take my AeroPress in, but I use the offices hot water. We have had issues with power failures at individual desks from some people bringing their own coffee makers and personal heaters in. My company has now banned them.

I'd only be concerned that someone would mess with my stuff.
In the office I work in, I'd come back to my desk to find a broken coffee pot and no water.
Of course no one would owe up to it, so I wouldn't even ask.

Anyone see any potential drawbacks to doing this?
You're best equipped to answer that question as you're familiar with your workplace, your company's policies, the people that you work with and what you're willing to deal with for what you prefer in the cup.

Some find dealing with a French press by itself a drawback due to cleanup, the time & attention it takes, etc.

Try it and see how it goes.

As long as they don't see it as a snub of their generousity of providing free coffee, it shouldn't be a problem. I would take a pot of my own stuff in a Nissan thermos. It will keep coffee hot all day. Less hassle and mess at work, and a bit more subtle for the office politics. My Nissan will hold 12 cups (a full pot) so I wouldn't run out, and might have some extra to share if needed.

I'm a teacher and have my own pod away from the rest of the staff and their idea of good coffee is Folger's with tap water. Tastes like sewer water if you ask me but I don't complain. Last Friday I washed the coffee maker and did a few rounds of vinegar to clear it out of all the old muck. This week, I used drinking water and medium blend Starbucks coffee. Good enough for me but luxury to a lot of my coworkers. One of my partners even brought in some donuts because she was elated with the "fancy" coffee.

Thermos and making it at home the cheapest and most unobtrusive solution. That said my company recently went to machines that dispense lousy coffee (from passable brewed coffee). I bit the bullet and brought in my own beans, Kyocera ceramic hand coffee grinder, electric boiling pot, and Freiling double walled French press. Kind of a pain in the keyster to keep the stuff clean - especially since I can't dump the ground in the sink (messes up the company's plumbing), but I'm happy although I do attract the occasional crowd when I'm grinding my beans.

Where I used to work we had a coffee service-service was good, coffee awful! They repeatedly cleaned the drip machine repeatedly and even swapped it out. We tried different coffees from them and they were all awful! Now where I work we have a vending machine that dispenses brownish hot water...

Water is the key. You have to bring your own water. No machine or coffee is going to make up for having bad water to start with.

I've worked with gas departments all over the south for the past 36 years. Most have free coffee, and most of it is undrinkable. I usually just buy whatever convenience store coffee I can find - some of it is quite good.

Do it, if anyone asks why, tell them "because our coffee sucks." You never know, the big boys could take notice, get better coffee and improve morale and production. You might even get a promotion!

Get a travel mug with built in press. Starbucks has them. Boil water, and to cup, press. Probably the best coffee possible at work. I hate coffee from a thermos. It turns "gack"!

I work for a company that provides free coffee. The problem is that it is likely the worst coffee ever. I've brought my own coffee in with a carafe, brewed my own...but the water is awful too!

I was thinking of setting this up:

Electric Kettle
Bottled Drinking Water (gallon container)
Good coffee
French Press

Anyone see any potential drawbacks to doing this? It would also help if I wanted to have some tea, which I do during the winter months....

Nothing wrong with that at all considering your situation. The mooching for a good cup might increase though.

-jim

Top Bottom