What's new

I hate the coffee at work

French press = win. It might be annoying if you take your grinder in though. You do have a grinder right? :tongue_sm I wanted a grinder forever, was looking at a Bodum but couldn't get the extra money around. The next week I was looking at records at our locally overshopped Salvation Army thrift store and guess what I found! A Bodum grinder. It was one model before the new one, looked brand spanking new for $2.

I am in an office by myself and I have my own grinder and coffee maker. I do pour over or french press at home, but at work I have a 4 cup coffee maker. Our water is very good so I don't have to bring that in. I say go for it!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i don't see any problem as long as you make it known to the suits your intentions and they say its ok, and then offer to share with your fellow employees. Hoarding the good coffee might cause animosity between you and fellow workers.

on the flip side employees from other areas coming back to see you throughout the day might cause some issues with the suits.

I love the Keurig, but if you have bad water, it won't help too much. Try one of those Brita pitchers with the water filter in it. That way you're not always lugging in gallons of bottled water. Then go for the Keurig.

Is Keurig that good? I have been skeptical about it. We make espresso and then make drinks from that (or french press for "normal coffee").

The bad part about an espresso machine is, once you figure out how to make a drink how you like it, it ruins getting coffee at coffee houses for you. It's like steak in a way. Steak is dead easy to cook. Salt the steak, if you want add garlic or other seasonings. Cook. That's it but go to 90% of resturants in my area and it has no taste and not cooked to the doneness you like.

Is Keurig that good? I have been skeptical about it. We make espresso and then make drinks from that (or french press for "normal coffee").

The bad part about an espresso machine is, once you figure out how to make a drink how you like it, it ruins getting coffee at coffee houses for you. It's like steak in a way. Steak is dead easy to cook. Salt the steak, if you want add garlic or other seasonings. Cook. That's it but go to 90% of resturants in my area and it has no taste and not cooked to the doneness you like.

They are not bad for a very fast decent single cup of coffee. I used one at my sisters house when were were out there visiting this year. It did seem to make a very good single cup of coffee

I contemplated dumping my espresso machine and getting one. In the end I decided that the were about the same as far as convenience so kept the espresso and forgot about the Keurig

I love my thermos!

Micky D's will fill a thermos for the price of a large coffee ($1-2). Not a bad deal when you are traveling by auto and want some decent coffee while driving. Surprising the D's coffee is not bad and it is consistent from one location to another

I have one; it's very nice for that single cup of coffee. If you buy the K-Cups on sale, you can usually get them for about .50/cup. They make a good, single cup. They're a little spendy; but worth it, IMHO.

thermos. your work place is not a hipster coffee house. what you want to do involves time and energy. it could bring resentment. and it will involve other people as they learn what you're up to.

I have a similar situation, though my office layout and politics are different. My team and I used a french press for a while, but its hard to maintain at an office (and I have a full kitchen available if I need). I have a technivorm at home, so I try to brew at home and fill a small thermos. We also banded together and bought a Keurig at work, which turns out to be better than anything at work, free or paid for.

Melita has this solution for single cup coffee:

proxy.php

https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/64007/COFFMKRSPROVERRSJ#.UOHZanddCSo

It is just a plastic cone in which you place a typical paper filter and your grounds, sits right over your cup. Takes about 30 seconds for the water to filter through then you just toss the filter and grounds.

Got it for $2, and it works darn well, but you do have to experiment with scoop size.

I got one for the house too.

In the link provided, they also have porcelain versions, and full pot versions of the cone...I can only speak for the one cup plastic cone version.

Last edited:
Haven't seen anyone suggest a Clever dripper. Easy to clean, makes delicious coffee. Remember that GREAT tasting coffee starts with GREAT coffee beans. Finding fresh roasted beans is the best way to achieve your dreams of delicious coffee, no matter which brew method you choose. A safe generalization is that if there's no "Roasted On:" date, and you got it from a grocery store, the coffee is stale. Not that it won't be ok to drink, it just probably won't make an exceptional cup.

Here's a list of good office brew methods.
1) French Press (probably the most messy)
2) Aeropress (Not as messy as FP, but there's some cleanup involved
3) Clever Coffee Dripper (Cleanup is as simple as pouring a bit of warm water through, although you'll want to do a thorough cleaning once a week or so)
4) Standard Pourover (Plastic/Ceramic pourovers available from a variety of places. Find one with the biggest hole for the most throughput... The Hario V60 comes to mind)
5) Indian Coffee Filter/ Cajun Biggin' Brewer etc (stainless steel pourover drip methods that don't require filters. Be prepared for a bit of sludge similar to the FP, but cleanup is a bit easier)

There are, of course, dozens of more options. But they all have something in common... you need a way to heat the water. The hot water tap on most office water tanks doesn't get much hotter than 170ish degrees... just hot enough to make your brew extremely bitter. I have this electric kettle at my desk. As far as I know, it doesn't draw a LOT of power (never blown anything that I know of). Most pourover methods that I mentioned like the water just off boil (195 - 208 F). Aeropress instructions call for much cooler water than that, but there's plenty of discussion on coffee forums that the adage YMMV is completely appropriate.

In my experience, the only resentment I've received at work regarding my coffee habit (and I have a "shrine" on the book case in my cubical with nothing but different brewing apparatus), is from those whom I've never made coffee. Most others either appreciate the occasional cup I make them, or view it with mild amusement. Of course as in all things YOPMV (Your Office Politics May Vary).

Top Bottom