What's new

I got this brush in a grab bag

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_908

I was mainly interested in the brushes and this brush is like no other I have seen.
It's a two tone and I had thought that the top might be bakelite with the bottom being lucite or some such plastic. Imagine my surprise when both parts tested positive for Bakelite. They are 2 separate sections.

I have never seen a clear bakelite handle before. It's standing next to a clear lucite handled brush that I was restoring.

Have you ever seen a clear bakelite handle before ?

Attachments

• $DSC02711.JPG
    $DSC02711.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 211
I just might try and restore this one, though I would like to take out the metal ferrule so it could hold a larger knot.

The handle is Catalin. It's a variation of bakelite that uses a different process without the fillers that give bakelite its dark color. Catalin is clear before it's dyed. It will test positive as bakelite since it's also a phenol formaldehyde resin.
Nice handle.

Last edited:
2 separate sections, huh? Do they unscrew and is there a hollow place in the middle? If so, you might have a WW2 spy brush. The hollow area is used to hide secret messages, money, and other items.

Please, please, please, before you restore it, give it a good bath and try it as-is. The existing knot looks like it has a lot of life left in it. You might be in for a pleasant surprise.

2 separate sections, huh? Do they unscrew and is there a hollow place in the middle? If so, you might have a WW2 spy brush. The hollow area is used to hide secret messages, money, and other items.

Please, please, please, before you restore it, give it a good bath and try it as-is. The existing knot looks like it has a lot of life left in it. You might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Good idea DPM, I will clean it up and try it. The knot shape is interesting. Looking directly down, it looks like a hurricane photo taken from a weather plane. It's a nylon knot and that's not something I am thrilled about. Well, at least I think it is. Hmmm, I wonder how I could test it to see if it is some exotic boar.

Attachments

• $DSCF0477.JPG
    $DSCF0477.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 81
Good idea DPM, I will clean it up and try it. The knot shape is interesting. Looking directly down, it looks like a hurricane photo taken from a weather plane. It's a nylon knot and that's not something I am thrilled about. Well, at least I think it is. Hmmm, I wonder how I could test it to see if it is some exotic boar.

Pull a bristle out and hold it up to a match; if it melts, it's nylon; if it burns with a nasty stench, it's boar (or some exotic animal hair, but likely just pig).

Looks like nylon in the picture.

The only sure way to tell nylon from boar is to mail that handle to me, bristles and all, and then promptly forget any of this ever happened. :lol:

Top Bottom