What's new

I gave up coffee. Now I drink tea. Any suggestions?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
They made one identical to the Russell Hobbs after the patent ran out. Is yours one of those? I have 2 of them. They are rock solid.

The best (to me) green tea in bags is.....

Uncle Lee's Green Tea

I'm not familiar with the Russell Hobbs. Heck, I didn't even remember what the model I have was until you got me looking around for it. It's the PerfecTemp.

I have a bag of Trader Joes Earl Grey Creme loose leaf that I really enjoy. Very fragrant with a nice flavor. Unsure if they still carry it.

Black teabag ie Twinings English ,Pg Tips, Yorkshire ect milk and sugar if you like it sweet all in a mug .The brew should have some structure and not be a cup hot coloured water.Milk is key, too little and it lacks body too much and its milky .

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My taste is far more pedestrian than most of these lads, so if you're looking for something posh you need not read this post any further. But if you're looking for decent and reasonably priced bagged black tea I like Barry's in the red box (though the green is also very good), Yorkshire red or gold, or PG Tips. The British Tetley sold in US supermarkets is dreadful.

For a desert tea I'd echo those who suggested Twinings Earl Grey.

I drink coffee in the morning and tea w/ (various kinds) during the day as I need it.

We really like the Breville electric tea kettle. It is as fast as induction for water boiling (I tested this as I was curious) and has 10 degree temperature gradients for every type of tea (helpfully labeled : white, green, black, oolong, herbal etc) and moreover has a timer so it brews the tea for a certain amount of time (labeled on the basis of strength). What is great about that is you can set it up and walk away without worrying about brewing too long etc.

The one nuance of the Breville is the tea holder has quite large holes so fine grained teas will come out a bit and for tea brewing the one we have is a minimum of 2 cups, which is a fair amount of tea for one person. (For just me I use brew in the cup using one of those metal tea strainers that sit in cups)

For tea types for asian teas we have landed on Ten Ren (you can some types of Ten Ren in asian grocery stores but the selection does not match online):

For Indian teas we have landed on Vahdam

I happen to be drinking a needle white tea from Vahdam as we speak.

If you like strong black teas while you can buy the Vahdam Assam I would not say its too different from relatively inexpensive bulk black teas you can buy from Indian grocery stores (e.g. Lipton / Brookes Bond Red label)

Regards
Avi

One of my favorites is oolong tea. It's harvested about halfway between the time of green tea and black tea, so it's taste is right in the middle. Does need a slight amount of sugar to cut the slight acidity.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My tea arrived! Right away I can tell it’s very fragrant. I can smell it through the packaging and it smells wonderful. Will give one of them a try likely in the morning.

F8A513BB-45D4-444C-9C20-C75C1254D6DA.jpeg
F78E7438-EC6C-43B4-B5C1-D0F9AE78434B.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Couldn’t wait. Had to try it. Smells even better once it’s brewed!

Doesn’t have the typical black tea taste I was used too. It’s more sweet but not like a honey or sugar sweet. Floral sweet if that makes sense. Almost fruity but not quite. Just darn delicious! I might as well place another order for whatever else they got!

21A9B156-F488-4F1F-AEFA-1D97EC8F1453.jpeg

Do give yourself the pleasure of trying yerba mate as @DrStrange has shown. A favorite of mine is Canarias Serena, the Holy Holly blended with three floral notes. It is a finer grind than Cruza de Malta, and requires a bombilla with more holes. Over 100 iirc.
the caffeine hit is not like that of coffee or tea. I think you may like it. I've been drinking it for about twenty years. never was much of a coffee drinker.

soaking the grounds in your gourd with a small amount of tepid water before pouring on the hot, helps preserve some of the phenols. The hot water alone, or too hot a water can flash off good flavors.

3BF61A54-600F-48DC-8234-1EC8A60A0E96.jpeg

also suggest you try butterfly pea flower, and hibiscus tea

Last edited:
Greetings folks

I gave up coffee. Yes, I know..what’s wrong with me? Been drinking it since I was 15ish. Crazy right?
I gave it up because I simply wanted to see if drinking less caffeine would make me feel any better. 3 weeks in and can’t say I feel a difference at all. But I’m going to push forward.

I didn’t think it wise to give up caffeine all together so I switched to tea. Mostly been drinking black tea because it has the most caffeine, but still a lot less than coffee.

So y’all got any suggestions on teas?

Here’s what I’m looking for:

• Tea bags...more convenient, but I’m not opposed to loose leaf
  • Black tea suggestions
  • Reputable tea selling websites
  • MUST HAVE tea accessories.

Over the years I’ve tried various teas such as Pu-Erh, Early Grey, Matcha, Black, Green, Herbal, Fruity, yadda yadda. Basically all the popular widely available stuff.

I drink it in the morning. And sometimes in the evening.

Thanks!
It's all subjective I suppose but buy some moderately expensive Japanese Green Tea loose leaf (the good stuff will be somewhat "oily" after it's been brewed and I think you will really enjoy it. You can just be Green Tea in tea bags but buy the loose leaf stuff and something better than the cheapest stuff and you'll notice a real difference.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Should I be transferring this tea to an air tight container? Or does it matter since it’s already dried?

Do give yourself the pleasure of trying yerba mate as @DrStrange has shown. A favorite of mine is Canarias Serena, the Holy Holly blended with three floral notes. It is a finer grind than Cruza de Malta, and requires a bombilla with more holes. Over 100 iirc.
the caffeine hit is not like that of coffee or tea. I think you may like it. I've been drinking it for about twenty years. never was much of a coffee drinker.

soaking the grounds in your gourd with a small amount of tepid water before pouring on the hot, helps preserve some of the phenols. The hot water alone, or too hot a water can flash off good flavors.

View attachment 1171119

also suggest you try butterfly pea flower, and hibiscus tea

The way that I do it is:

I have a 24 ounce free refill coffee cup that I got at a truck stop.
I put 2 most heaping tablespoons of the mate in the cup.
I fill the cup with cold water and I pour it into the pot
and turn on the stove.

THIS is the secret:
By listening to the water in pot,
you can tell when the water is almost about to boil
and turn off the stove.
If it boils at all, then it tastes bitter.

I have tried many different types bombillas over the almost 60
years that I've been drinking this.
This is the bomilla that I use because it works the best

I tend to like white and oolong teas. Recently I've enjoyed those sourced from Tealyra and Oriarm (they have storefronts on Amazon). If you need an invested recommendation think Rare Tea Company or Mei Leaf. From there YouTube can send you to many many folks who will share their experience and recommendations. Enjoy the journey; it is very much like finding the terroir of coffee or wine.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Should I be transferring this tea to an air tight container? Or does it matter since it’s already dried?

I tend to keep about a month's worth or so in a jar with a tight fitting lid and vacuum seal the rest. You aren't going to see much change, if any, over a month or two (especially with black tea--green is more delicate).

Top Bottom