What's new

I gave up coffee. Now I drink tea. Any suggestions?

Way to go! Stopped drinking coffee proabably 10-12 years ago. Have been drinking black tea for decades since I was 10 years old. Try the Twinings English Breakfast [but not the decaf]. Might not be the mildest taste out there, but that's what I call real tea. Lipton Yellow label is not as strong but still decent. It's kind of a baseline product. Ahmad and Dilmah are pretty decent brands also.

Should I be transferring this tea to an air tight container? Or does it matter since it’s already dried?
It is a good idea for long-term storage. If you buy tea in metal tins you can re-use these. Otherwise, a mason jar works well. Keep in a cool, dry place away from the light.

Ahmad and Dilmah are pretty decent brands also.
Try the Ceylon tea. Not so harsh, more mellow. Good for the afternoon.

PG Tips is the " house" tea at most English tea rooms stateside, Republic of Tea has a wide variety of bagged and loose leaf along with many green, red, white and herbal varieties. Twinings is a good brand too.

I'm a tea-totaler. The market for good tea has grown exponentially in recent years. And good tea is generally less expensive than good coffee. I recommend buying from an online tea merchant ot local tea shop rather than a grocery store, because it will be fresher and better quality, Most teas, if stored correctly, will stay fresh for a couple years. Puerh tea is an exception, and ages well.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@Toothpick If you find you like floral character, you really ought to try jasmine tea. My favorite form is pearl jasmine (or jasmine pearls), a green tea with jasmine. You also find black and white jasmine teas, too.

Another note storing: Don't forget that "air-tight" does not mean "air-free." Your tea might not go stale as quickly as if it were just sitting out on the counter, but "air-tight" won't really buy you a whole lot more lifetime. I don't remember if you have a vacuum sealer. If you don't, you might want to look into it if you are thinking about buy loose tea in bulk. It's good for a lot more than just keeping tea fresh.

Couldn’t wait. Had to try it. Smells even better once it’s brewed!

Doesn’t have the typical black tea taste I was used too. It’s more sweet but not like a honey or sugar sweet. Floral sweet if that makes sense. Almost fruity but not quite. Just darn delicious! I might as well place another order for whatever else they got!

View attachment 1170909

I have only used the Eros tea.

I also recently (a few months ago) stopped drinking coffee in favor of tea. I personally enjoy all styles of tea but mostly drink green loose leaf tea. I have noticed a definite improvement in energy in the morning. I try to limit my tea consumption to 2-3 cups per day.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

I just ordered a bag of this. No idea what I'm getting in to here. Would it be sinful to run this through a french press or aeropress?

I’ve done a coffee press. I heat water to 175° usually.

a site called Circle of Drink has good info on all aspects of it. Health benefits, and traditional use methods (which you dont have to abide by).

I think another site was mentioned maybe by DrStrange who has used it far more than I have. If I misrepresent anything of it, I welcome his correction.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I remember a long time ago I ordered some tea from Jas-e-Tea and he said some tea can be brewed multiple times. I think I got the Pur-eh and he said it can be brewed at least twice.

Ya’ll think there is any truth to that?

I’ve done a coffee press. I heat water to 175° usually.

a site called Circle of Drink has good info on all aspects of it. Health benefits, and traditional use methods (which you dont have to abide by).

I think another site was mentioned maybe by DrStrange who has used it far more than I have. If I misrepresent anything of it, I welcome his correction.

Nothing about this is written in stone.

After turning off the stove,
my grandfather put a saucer on the pot as a lid
and let the pot cool slowly a little bit
and then poured it through a cloth strainer into a cup.

He was born in Spain, but grew up in Argentina.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just like everything I consider brewing instructions merely recommendations. More often than not I don’t brew black tea with boiling water. I want to drink it straight away, not wait 20 minutes for it to cool down or not add water and dilute it. So I just use warm water and steep it for longer. Taste just as good

I remember a long time ago I ordered some tea from Jas-e-Tea and he said some tea can be brewed multiple times. I think I got the Pur-eh and he said it can be brewed at least twice.

More so for the green teas. You'll see people in Asia often re-using their green tea leaves at least once.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cool. Thanks. I don’t have any green teas! I suppose I should remedy that.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Yes ... many more times than twice, actually.

Part of it has to do with the type of tea, but more with the brewing method ... using a small pot or gaiwan, and steeping each time for only a little while. Some teas like oolong can do well for several steepings, "shu"puerh can do several more, and "sheng" puerh can do even more ... a dozen is not uncommon.

Now you are getting down a real rabbit hole!!

(It's a totally different method to the western "toss a couple tea bags in the pot and brew the tea for several minutes, and then the teabags are done" method.)

Yes ... many more times than twice, actually.

Part of it has to do with the type of tea, but more with the brewing method ... using a small pot or gaiwan, and steeping each time for only a little while. Some teas like oolong can do well for several steepings, "shu"puerh can do several more, and "sheng" puerh can do even more ... a dozen is not uncommon.

Now you are getting down a real rabbit hole!!

(It's a totally different method to the western "toss a couple tea bags in the pot and brew the tea for several minutes, and then the teabags are done" method.)

+1. Not just for green teas. The character of the tea will change over time with repeat steeping. Just be sure to remove the water best you can between each round or the tea will continue to steep for too long and you’ll get a bad result.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

That's something else I like about the Earl Grey Imperior from TeaGschwendner. It's an Oolong (sort of between green and black) so it does well with two brews, even when brewing it like a black tea. The first one comes through like a great Earl Grey, and the second is a nice Oolong.

I gave up coffee once, on a doctor's suggestion. I had been "on the wagon" for months. Then I told a co-worker about it, who ruefully held up his Thermos and said, "This is all I have left...." I immediately went inside and brewed myself a cup.

Top Bottom