What's new

I dislike "the burn" Does that make me a deviant?

So as I read a lot of reviews/threads, much is made about the burning feel of some aftershaves. As I try different ones, I find "the burn" to be completely unpleasant, and don't understand the appeal. Is that uncomfortableness an indicator of quality I'm missing somehow?

Use the ones you enjoy and stay clear of the ones you don't.

Just don't forget to revisit those you dislike now in another 6-12 months.

You may find that your ideas about them have changed.

You can always modify any aftershave to be more soothing by adding aloe and glycerin as well as witch hazel and even more water to dilute the alcohol (which is what burns).

My burn generally comes while using the alum block, not the aftershave. For many, the burn is an indication of irritation that some use as a tool to learn when they're overdoing it in some areas during the shave. I'm not certain that folks have found it appealing, only useful as a learning tool.

+1 to Turtle's advice, probably better than mine.

So as I read a lot of reviews/threads, much is made about the burning feel of some aftershaves. As I try different ones, I find "the burn" to be completely unpleasant, and don't understand the appeal. Is that uncomfortableness an indicator of quality I'm missing somehow?

Ahem.

There are professional counselors that can help you overcome this aversion. It is to be overcome at all costs and in the most expeditious manner. Only then will your life have a sense of fulfillment that all of the rest of mankind enjoys each morning.
:wink2:

If you are talking about the sting of alcohol on damaged skin, I agree. But with skill you will not damage your skin so much and there isn't the sting, at least that has been my experience.

If you are talking about the "heat" from spices or whatever in the after shave, like with some Bay Rum's, that is a pleasant feel to me, but then I like spicy hot food also. But if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.

I dislike the burn, too.

Ahem.

There are professional counselors that can help you overcome this aversion. It is to be overcome at all costs and in the most expeditious manner. Only then will your life have a sense of fulfillment that all of the rest of mankind enjoys each morning.
:wink2:
I think they should rename this smiley :bayrum2: ":sense_of_fulfillment:"

We might be crossing wires with our terminology. Are we calling the aftershave sting one gets from irritation "burn" or is burn the heat/freezing sensation associated with menthol? I'm not a fan of the sting but I do love the burning/cool sensation of menthol.

The former, sir.

We might be crossing wires with our terminology. Are we calling the aftershave sting one gets from irritation "burn" or is burn the heat/freezing sensation associated with menthol? I'm not a fan of the sting but I do love the burning/cool sensation of menthol.

Call me a masochist, but I enjoy the alcohol sting/burn a bit. That's not to say that I outwardly seek it by ruining a perfectly good shave to augment it. That would be crazy-talk :lol:

Just personal preference I think.

Call me a masochist, but I enjoy the alcohol sting/burn a bit. That's not to say that I outwardly seek it by ruining a perfectly good shave to augment it. That would be crazy-talk :lol:

Me too. Burn, baby, burn!

Use the ones you enjoy and stay clear of the ones you don't.

Just don't forget to revisit those you dislike now in another 6-12 months.

You may find that your ideas about them have changed.

You can always modify any aftershave to be more soothing by adding aloe and glycerin as well as witch hazel and even more water to dilute the alcohol (which is what burns).
+1

A great AS Splash that has no alcohol and makes the face feel great is Lucky Tiger AS & Face Tonic. It has a light citrus scent and is very rejuvenating.

I agree !!! Embrace the Burn !!!

When I was a noob all I heard was alcohol skin products were the devil lol. I love the burn though but I usually follow up with some non alcohol as on top.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally like it because the sweetness of the bay rum is somewhat muted. "The burn" is something I experience in nearly every aftershave with alcohol so that doesn't factor into the equation for me at all.

I like the slight burn, it tells me the aftershave is working. It acts as an antiseptic to clean out any cuts or scrapes and promotes healing. The tingle on my face wakes me up and makes me feel alive. Its what Mennen SB called a slap in the face.

I've been using HTGAM Gondolier Aftershave Tonic (alcohol free) for the last few shaves... I kinda miss the burn. Maybe it is something you don't know you like until you don't have it? Or maybe I'm a masochist at heart like everybody else.

I thought Clubman VIBR burned, until I just tried Ogallala Bay Rum! WOW! That'll wake you up! My face feels fantastic right now, but that was one hell of a burn!

Top Bottom