What's new

I Compare 14 Different Bay Rums

I have tried an handful of Bay Rums and hated all of them, I had to wash my face each time.

Great write up but I will stick to better smelling stuff like The Veg-LOL

Fantastic post. Why do I find olgallala very muted, no burn. Not even close to cat of nine tails. But you think similarly. YMMV again

I prefer a nice spice in scents. Which Bay Rum seems to carry that nice spicy scent that leaves people sniffing with a smile as they seem drawn in by it?

Bay rums don't project very well, so unless someone got pretty close to you, they wouldn't be able to take a whiff of what you're wearing. Pinaud VIBR, Ogallala, and Layrite are probably the strongest of the bunch because of their cloves and added scents. If you're looking for something with a little more projection that's in the spirit of bay rum--many don't consider this a bay rum, but it has a Caribbean feel--try Old Spice. Shulton OS if you want to really stand out...new OS if you want it a little lighter.

Well, I ordered my first bottle of bay rum today. I went with VIBR since it was cheaper, and I've read many people talking about the cinnamon and spice scent that it holds, which sounds appealing to me. I'm really hoping I'm not disappointed when it arrives Monday. I just can't afford Captain's Choice, so I'll have some faith in Pinaud.

I just got a bottle of Pinaud VIBR - it's pretty good. Most of the fragrances are listed on the back of the bottle, but I mostly smell cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.

Great review. There's a number of those I have yet to try. I have an order of North and Cat 'O Nine by Captain's Choice coming. I've been a fan of Gabels Bay Rum since I was getting crew cuts in junior high school. Osage Rub is another favorite.

Unfortunately I found the Clubman bay rum to be a bit too clovey for me.
Stull need something that smells like MW Bay Rum soap...

I'm looking to pick up a Bay Rum aftershave and while this have me some great reviews does anyone have a favorite one?

For some it may be light and not linger enough, but I've always liked Gabels bay rum. In my experience aftershaves are not supposed to linger like a cologne, which is fine for me. I do not like colognes and am repelled by heavy scents. Using Gabels, all I smell is Bay oil, no clove, and it is very soothing with no burn at all. I cannot say it is my favorite since I am discovering other newer brands out there. So far Gabels is my brand of aftershave. Proraso is very refreshing too, with a eucalyptus/light menthol scent.

Thanks for all of the bay rum reviews. I'm new to the community and was looking into purchasing some aftershaves, but was a little reluctant to spend the $ for captains choice. I will definitely be trying some of the other ones referenced within this thread.

Haven't used bay rum since my high school days (back in the Sixties) when I would use St. Johns Bay Rum. Then just last night ordered a couple different brands off the Internet (after 46 years of separation). Thanks for the review.

Also - I see that St. Johns is still in business, so I wonder why I see virtually no mention of that brand on various shaving forums?

I got my bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum in today. I was using Clubman VIBR regularly, but read that it does not have a traditional Bay Rum scent, and I'm not a huge fan of the clove scent, so I started searching around for a new one to try and settled on Ogallala. The scent is much different than VIBR. VIBR is a lot of clove, Ogallala isn't as much. I almost compare it to egg nog. It's a really nice smell, I like it quite a bit. I had a fantastic shave with almost no feedback from the alum. I slapped on my Bay Rum and WOW WHAT A BURN! Ouch. Burn lasted a good 30-45 seconds, then went away pretty quickly. I love the bay rum scent it left behind, and my face feels great. This is an incredible aftershave. It has an "oily" texture when applying it which is very moisturizing, but doesn't leave my face feeling even remotely oily. John included 3 other scents and bay rum cologne with my order that I am very excited to try out. Ogallala Bay Rum will be my regular aftershave from now on.

Make sure you shake up the Ogallala well before using it. I failed to do this one time and wound up with a handful of oil on my face. It took several minutes to get it off.

I bought and tried Captains Choice Bay Rum. It is good stuff. Though people mention that it is a very pure bay rum scent, you seldom see that this stuff has an earthy component. I mean it's like they took bay leaves straight from the tree and dunked it in my aftershave. It's good stuff, but thought I'd point out that little aspect of the scent. Scent, like all things here, is very subjective, so you may not pick it up like I do. Very good aftershave though.

Top Bottom