What's new

Suavecito Bay Rum aftershave is it mild or strong?

I'm familiar with Pinauds and Gabels which I liked years ago and Fine's bay rum which is off the charts in clove scent (and that's an understatement). The Amazon reviews are mixed. One reviewer said it's rebottled Gables. In that case it's fine.

Since no one else is answering you, I'll give you my impression. Being a bay rum aficionado and one who loves Suavecito hair pomade, I tried it and frankly; it was the worst bay rum I've experienced. Regrettably I ended up pouring it down the drain. Very artificial and not actual bay rum scent - to my nose. No lasting power. It left me with the impression of being "watered down" and kind of sweet. That's my impression.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since no one else is answering you, I'll give you my impression. Being a bay rum aficionado and one who loves Suavecito hair pomade, I tried it and frankly; it was the worst bay rum I've experienced. Regrettably I ended up pouring it down the drain. Very artificial and not actual bay rum scent - to my nose. No lasting power. It left me with the impression of being "watered down" and kind of sweet. That's my impression.

I tried Suavecito years ago and my impressions seemed to match this post above from what I can remember.

I am of the opinion there are better Bay Rum’s out there for the price of Suavecito’s?

I like it to tone down VIBR which I find too clovey. It's cheap so I don't mind mixing it.

Alone it's just 'ok'.
It's coming tomorrow. I'll let you know.

It seems one of the main complaints is it doesn't match the scent of other Suavecito products, which people weren't expecting. It's amazing to scan those reviews and see just how different people's impressions are for the same aftershave. I saw things like "wife's favorite", "old fashioned barbershop", "excellent", "soothing", "horrible", "worst ever", "repulsive", "Christmas ham", "medicinal", "dentists office", "too strong", "too weak", "lasts too long", "does not last more than a few minutes", "ordererd again", "poured it down the drain", "nothing but alcohol and cloves", "smells like you've been drinking", "no rum at all", etc.

The ingredient list does look pretty much the same as Gabel's. If accurate, it has very few ingredients and uses only natural bay rum essential oil of the correct species. So, if people smell cloves, etc. this is probably some natural constituents of pimenta racemosa oil. Something like Superior 70 is sold as an alcoholado. Some alcohoados contain menthol and eucalyptus which makes them smell medicinal. You can use them as aftershave, but the scent doesn't last very long.

It seems one of the main complaints is it doesn't match the scent of other Suavecito products, which people weren't expecting. It's amazing to scan those reviews and see just how different people's impressions are for the same aftershave. I saw things like "wife's favorite", "old fashioned barbershop", "excellent", "soothing", "horrible", "worst ever", "repulsive", "Christmas ham", "medicinal", "dentists office", "too strong", "too weak", "lasts too long", "does not last more than a few minutes", "ordererd again", "poured it down the drain", "nothing but alcohol and cloves", "smells like you've been drinking", "no rum at all", etc.

The ingredient list does look pretty much the same as Gabel's. If accurate, it has very few ingredients and uses only natural bay rum essential oil of the correct species. So, if people smell cloves, etc. this is probably some natural constituents of pimenta racemosa oil. Something like Superior 70 is sold as an alcoholado. Some alcohoados contain menthol and eucalyptus which makes them smell medicinal. You can use them as aftershave, but the scent doesn't last very long.
If it smells like Gabel's I'll be happy. Thanks.

I like it to tone down VIBR which I find too clovey. It's cheap so I don't mind mixing it.

Alone it's just 'ok'.

It just came. I like it. Splashed on a little and it's fine. Stronger than expected. Reminds me a lot of the Pinaud I used years ago.

Last edited:
It reminded me of masters bay rum. Doesn’t smell like their hair products I use. A light clove and light sweet smell. Or a cheap haircut you got as a kid at those chain haircut places. Still have the bottle I bought years ago. Now I use it after my alum deodorant, at home.

It reminded me of masters bay rum. Doesn’t smell like their hair products I use. A light clove and light sweet smell. Or a cheap haircut you got as a kid at those chain haircut places. Still have the bottle I bought years ago. Now I use it after my alum deodorant, at home.
That's a perfect description.

I tried Suavecito years ago and my impressions seemed to match this post above from what I can remember.

I am of the opinion there are better Bay Rum’s out there for the price of Suavecito’s?
You might want to revisit Suavecito. FYI the History Channel (I think) is starting an 8-week series on Bass Reeves on November 5th.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes I knew that. Sometimes things are better second time around.

Please don't get me wrong. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Suavecito's Bay Rum the first time I used it. Suavecito is a perfectly fine Bay Rum. What you need to understand is; I am an aftershave kinda guy. In the 13 years of doing this old skool wetshaving thing; I haved used all manner and style of shaving products. But I don't have over 200 razors, brushes or soaps?

But I do own over 200 bottles of modern & vintage aftershaves. I am the Will Rogers of aftershaves, because; "I have never met an aftershave, I didn't like." Except for not being chosen by Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal, but it's not my fault that 'The Veg' didn't find me worthy to be chosen... :)

I haven't met a Bay Rum I didn't like either. But when it comes to using Bay Rum's there isn't much to be considered when it comes to many of the different brands people, try and use. There are two 'basic' Bay Rum types that can be considered as 'Classic Bay Rum's. There is a 'classic' type of a spicy, cinnamon & clove type of Bay Rum; and then there is the Caribbean type of 'classic' Bay Rum that is just pure bay oil with no spices whatsoever.

There are many different brands of Bay Rum aftershaves that represent these two different distinctions of 'classic' Bay Rum's. I have tried many of these. I don't think there was any that I didn't like? And while I like them all; I liked some, more than others. But how much more? All of them are considered to be 'classic' Bay Rum scented aftershave? At one time, I considered St. John's Bay Rum to be my absolute favorite bay rum. But it's $50 a bottle? While I really like it, is there anything that much better or different that others who share the same similar 'classic' Bay rum scent and/or feel? If one considers the price tag? No, not really. Barberry Coast is another favorite. But at $39.99 for a 4 ounce bottle? Is it better than many other 'classic Bay Rum's also?

Your Suavecito, is one of the better priced 'classic Bay Rum aftershaves out there. It's only $7.99 for a 4 ounce bottle. Not bad considering many if not most, classic Bay Rum aftershaves are very fleeting in nature and scent. If I wasn't an 'died in the wool' Bootlegger's Bay Rum fan? My Bay Rum choice would probably be your Suavecito by default. At $1.99 an ounce, it closely rivals my Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum in price at $1.44 an ounce.

However, If I wanted to make 36 ounces of your Suavecito? It would cost me $72 not including shipping costs. :) 36 ounces of my Bootlegger's Bay Rum? $24.85 not including shipping costs. :) And I prefer the scent, skin feel and longevity of scent of Bootlegger's over the scent, feel and longevity of Suavecito. But I'm biased. :)

I liked Suavecito Bay Rum and have nothing against it. It's a perfectly fine Bay Rum in every way. But when I personally want a 'Traditional, Classic Bay Rum?' Bootlegger's is what I keep in bulk quantities and it's what I reach for. If I want a classic spicy & clove scented bay rum for the holidays or just when I want to smell like a Pirate? It's Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum or Lime Bay Rum. When I want a non spicy, Caribbean type of Bay Rum, I reach for one of the Bootlegger's Perfecto's which has no clove or cinnamon but does have tobacco and orange citrus notes. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with Suavecito, it's simply just my preference. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom