What's new

I can't learn to like an injector.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
OK guys,

I have tried several different injector models. I can not get a good shave with any of them. They pull and tug something horrible. I can't get them to shave even remotely close. I have given up on them. Does anyone have any tips to maybe want to try them again.

I am not sure what kind of blades I have but they are in a cheap white plastic cartridge. Could that be the problem?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, maybe the blades, maybe the shaver. Many guys here report that injectors are the easiest to use of the traditional shavers, including this writer. I see you have been around for a while, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt, but maybe change the blade angle? And realize that the blade angle varied with each razor? Put the Schick head almost flat on the face & go, it should work out of

I'm not blown away by 'em either, Scott. I don't get BAD shaves with them, but I don't get shaves as well as my DEs or SEs give.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My only thought is maybe when you "inject" the blade into the razor the edge is dragging on the little tabs that hold the blade in place? I have to make sure the injector properly expands the razor before pushing in the blade.

I found injectors to shave painfully close, and I was using the crappy boxed injectors too.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Try holding it very near the head between your thumb and index finger. This position mimics the pivoting head of a cartridge and allows the injector to trace the curves around the chin and jaw line. If I have a week's growth, nothing mows in down faster or more effortlessly than an injector with a Pella.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have not used the ones in the white plastic dispenser. I have used the Chinese Schicks and get my best shaves with them, over even my fave DE blades. Don't give up on your injector at least until you try the Chinese Schicks. The Persona 74 Injector blades are supposed to be the best. I recently bought 2 packs but have not tried them yet.

My only thought is maybe when you "inject" the blade into the razor the edge is dragging on the little tabs that hold the blade in place? I have to make sure the injector properly expands the razor before pushing in the blade.

I found injectors to shave painfully close, and I was using the crappy boxed injectors too.
+1
My first thought.
Inject the next blade in slowly and watch that edge.

I gave up on injectors, but was trying NOS blades but the packs were opened. Same deal, pulling and tugging. I saved one bakelite handle model to give another go with. I find some CVS platinum injector blades the other day, last tattered pack they had. We'll see what happens when I wade through the 15 other DE's calling my face. Interesting thought on watching the blade holds, perfect opportunity to trash a new blade in one fell swoop.

Last edited:
I had my first injector shave yesterday, and my experience was very different. Very smooth, no irritation, but I did have a few weepers afterward. I guess my technique has room for improvement.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Gents, ignore him, injectors are getting rarer by the day, we don't need another one sucking up the sugar, if you understand my meaning? :)

+1 I have just started testing an injector and think I might have dulled a Schick plus platinum blade because of this. Is this a frequent problem? Are there any workarounds?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I find it easiest to inject the blade out just a little before sticking the key into the razor. As you insert the key, carefully work the exposed bit of the blade into the razor away from the tabs, higher towards the top/back of the razor head. When it seems high enough, push the blade the rest of the way in. If you watch how the injector works when you insert the key, you should be able to see how best to keep the edge away from the tabs until you pull out the key.

The spring in the razor head would push the blade back down into the right place after that, right? I need to try the schick blades, wasn't overly impressed with the pellas.

Top Bottom