What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

With the hot weather here, I have to change the nectar every two days. However, we have some permanent residents here.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw where mine were gone by Oct. 5 last year; going to have to hang up the feeder!

They'll be passing through soon.

Those, and the monarch butterflies ... love this time of year (in a few weeks. 100 degree yesterday!)

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Meant to mention. Put out my feeder a week ago, delighted with the hummingbird activity. High speed dogfighting and acrobatics.

My natural history diary indicates they'll be gone in 3 weeks, or the first cold front.

Also the monarch butterfly migration is due to commence. I'll look for a pass-count later.

AA

I thought I was done for the year but I made up one more small batch of nectar for my feeder just in case. I haven't seen any for the last couple of days but then tonight there was one that kept showing up at the the feeder all evening. I don't think this was a regular because it had a more "float-y" flight pattern whereas my regular(s?) flight pattern was more jerky and sudden. It may just be passing through. I can't imagine I'll be seeing them much longer. Our 4 months of hummingbirds up here is pretty much over.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Peak of hummer hummer here, they're drinking the feeder dry in a week or less.

Wish they would get along, 4-6 are in constant dogfights. Wasting that nectar energy, guys! You'll need it to get to Mexico!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This guy is back, and munched another squirrel (we call them "house-eaters") yesterday.

full

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Awesome. Very majestic looking fellow.

Neighbors call him "Joey," as he's a buttifuoco hawk (or something like that).

Last year I thought he was after the hummers, but that's popcorn to him.

I saw him pull up one of those glass lizards the other day but missed the latest treetop dine-in. Neighbor watched. His wife was horrified. Messy!

He flew over my house last year with a squirrel, and I took it as a good sign of prosperity to come.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Amazing amount of hummer activity. Six, possibly more swarm around between our feeder and the neighbors. Standing still near the feeder they will buzz YOU; how beautiful these little guys are, close up. Ringneck, irridescent green in back and sides ...

AA

It's been coldish the last two weeks. Haven't seen a hummer in a while. Time to pack up. the feeder till Spring I guess.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There were four out at the feeder just a bit ago. It's cooling off a bit though...only got to about 90 the last few days.

Had one on the feeder here in the Chicago area this morning. He had to be passing through. My regulars are very spooky and this one just sat and sat slurping it up like he was famished.

I have two feeders out and they are about 15 feet apart. It is so funny that one small guy who makes sure nobody goes to the second feeder when he is out.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There's still four fighting over the feeder. Need to refill it.

Attachments

• DSC_0010 (2).JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 6

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hate to admit there's less activity... They are not gone, but.

And it's still brutally hot, so they must have a calendar.

AA

Top Bottom