What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Lots and lots of activity around both my front and back yard feeders.

I would love to see if members could take pictures of hummingbirds eggs in their nest or better yet their young.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
*Very few* of my birds left! Maybe 2-3, where there were more than 6.

As I recall, some transients of other species may come in the next few weeks.

AA

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
All hummers are gone. We had a few cool night time fronts in the 60's this past week. I suppose it drove them further South. Goodbye my little wonderful friends. See you sgain in late April.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw *one* yesterday; they've moved on south ...

The Wheel of Seasons turns; these birds are but a moment.

AA

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Sadly, our 'hummers' have pretty much 'flown the coop'...for warmer quarters...starting to get a little chilly around here.
1571012277019.png

proxy.php
[Hummingbirds:] "A flash of harmless lightning...a mist of rainbow dyes. The burnished sunbeams brightening...from flower to [feeder] they fly". John Banister Tabb

PS Be safe 'my little ones' and the Mrs. and I will see again next April - May 2020.

Mean little suckers is right....they dive bomb each other screaming obscenities.

That’s spot on! I get such a chuckle sitting on the porch watching how territorial they are on the feeder. Some sit there looking all over the place scared to even drink for knowing they’ll get dive bombed when they do.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I totally got behind on setting out my 2 feeders this year. Normally its mid March. So yesterday i cleaned and hung them up. Within a matter of minutes they came in to eat.

It's hard to think of hummingbirds when we went from zero snow to 3" (+/-) of fresh snow on the ground today. I see by the migration map that there has been a sighting reported in central Iowa already so they will probably be in MN early this year. I don't think I saw them until mid-May last year.

I saw a yellow gold finch at my feeder earlier today. It's weird to see a "summer version" of the goldfinch at a feeder covered in snow.

2 years ago I put in 6 plants to attract bees, butterflies and Hummers. Last summer I had my first Hummingbird, Ruby Throat, at 2 Bee Balm plants.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I totally got behind on setting out my 2 feeders this year. Normally its mid March. So yesterday i cleaned and hung them up. Within a matter of minutes they came in to eat.

Your reviving this thread got me to putting mine out...the nectar is cooling right now. It's been a mild winter and the flowers are already blooming now, and have been for a bit. I haven't seen any hummers but SWMBO said she has heard the buzz of the wings a couple of times. I'll see what happens.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO said there were three out there yesterday morning, and this little fellow was at it yesterday afternoon. They must have been waiting on it.

1587179104734.png

It's hard to think of hummingbirds when we went from zero snow to 3" (+/-) of fresh snow on the ground today. I see by the migration map that there has been a sighting reported in central Iowa already so they will probably be in MN early this year. I don't think I saw them until mid-May last year.

I saw a yellow gold finch at my feeder earlier today. It's weird to see a "summer version" of the goldfinch at a feeder covered in snow.

I have seen plenty of goldfinches at my Nyjer seed feeder here in Danbury, CT. They started changing from their winter colors to bright yellow about two weeks ago. Watching them nearly each day you can really appreciate how quickly the yellow coloring comes back.

I still need to set up my hummingbird feeder.

Tim

SWMBO said there were three out there yesterday morning, and this little fellow was at it yesterday afternoon. They must have been waiting on it.

View attachment 1088246

Out of curiosity, where do you live and what kind of hummingbird is that at the feeder? I am new to hummingbird watching so I am still on the shallow end of the learning curve here in Danbury, CT.

Tim

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Out of curiosity, where do you live and what kind of hummingbird is that at the feeder? I am new to hummingbird watching so I am still on the shallow end of the learning curve here in Danbury, CT.

Tim

N.E. Texas. The ones around here are just the common Ruby-Throated ones.

N.E. Texas. The ones around here are just the common Ruby-Throated ones.

Ah, I was in Dallas for a few years while I was a postdoctoral fellow. Loved the area. Yeah, we have ruby-throated hummingbirds up here too. It's amazing what I wide range these guys have!

Tim

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ah, I was in Dallas for a few years while I was a postdoctoral fellow. Loved the area. Yeah, we have ruby-throated hummingbirds up here too. It's amazing what I wide range these guys have!

Tim

They are very widespread.

Where did you do your thesis at?

They are very widespread.

Where did you do your thesis at?

Ph.D. in infectious diseases from SUNY at Stony Brook, NY. Started my post-doc training at UT Southwestern Medical Center, which I finished up at UCONN Health Science Center in Farmington, CT back in 2000.

Tim

Tim
The only hummers you'll see in Danbury are ruby throats, Tim. Hummer diversity really takes off in the desert Southwest in the United States.

Don

Top Bottom