What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Color. Anything with bright colors attracts them.

I don't think they see "still" objects well; I've had them fly right up to me while adding nectar.

AA

The hummingbirds around here are like dive bombers. If another bird is near the feeder they fly down and scare them off. I have seen them buzz our standard poodle when she is near the feeder.

Color. Anything with bright colors attracts them.

I don't think they see "still" objects well; I've had them fly right up to me while adding nectar.

AA

I think that they may be somewhat fearless or their hunger/need for sustenance makes them that way. My Dad took the feeder into the house to clean it and refill it with sugar water. As he was walking it to its hanging spot in the back yard my Mom said, "There's one now!". He started looking around the yard trying to spot it only to look down at the feeder in his hand to find the hummingbird feeding from it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just counted four hummers in a swirling cloud out there! It's like a swarm of bees!

The "owner" cannot possibly defend, so hopefully two can drink while he chases another.

Shame they spend so much energy fighting ... And don't we all.

AA

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
ombat
The hummingbirds around here are like dive bombers. If another bird is near the feeder they fly down and scare them off. [...].
Jim:
plus-one-png.797576
...and these last few days, we have one large Rudy Throated residnet who guards the feeder (roost), from a branch of our oak tree (I mean ther's enough sugar water for anyone...why be a 'bogart'?), and takes on all 'comers' with a passion (and has many victories from aerial combat [so that's what all that 'buzzing' and high-pitch chirping
was about]). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Legends say that hummingbirds [fight and] float free of time". Papyru.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'll have some 1250/sec pix up tomorrow.

Could hear the "thuck" sound of hummingbird body-slams! Quite the collision.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great pics!
Certainly no expert, but I would guess Ruby Throated. Third pic looks like a male, the rest female.

Graham; many thanks. The feeder is between buildings, light only hits it for a brief time ... and I *think* the red of the bottle-feeder is coloring the bird's neck. Think it's all the same bird, time-wise, but I cannot tell for sure. They buzz like bees! At 1250/sec, getting wing blur! Amazing.

I could also swear I saw a ring-neck on one, but the light wasn't good. There at least five.

Marty; thanks. We'll be sending these birds your way in a bit, as they migrate through Texas to Mexico ... I think! (or is that the monarch butterflies?)

AA

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The monarchs come the other way. Mexico to the U.S.
The port of entry in Pharr, Texas is known as the Mariposa Bridge and has several iron butterfly statues hanging over the primary lanes.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
ombat
Jim:
plus-one-png.797576
...and these last few days, we have one large Rudy Throated residnet who guards the feeder (roost), from a branch of our oak tree (I mean ther's enough sugar water for anyone...why be a 'bogart'?), and takes on all 'comers' with a passion (and has many victories from aerial combat [so that's what all that 'buzzing' and high-pitch chirping
was about]). :thumbsup:
And too add some pics of todays combat at sunset...(wish I had a better Iphone [5]);

Humminbird Fight Club -4.jpg
Humminbird Fight Club.jpg
Humminbird Fight Club -1.jpg
Humminbird Fight Club -2.jpg
Humminbird Fight Club -3.jpg
In this pic...he was hovering...probably to torment the others.

At one time today, there was five (5), 'jockeying' for position at the feeder. When three (3), would settle their differences and all drink...a fourth one would have none of that...and the aireal display (accompanied w/ loud chriping & buzzing [from contact]), would play out again for another approx 15-20min. Now that's 'cold-blooded'. :blink:

proxy.php
"Victory is always possible for the [hummingbird] who refuses to stop fighting". Napoleon Hill

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There's still a couple here. Since they aren't fighting over the food it's hard to catch one in flight.

DSC_0002 (2).JPG

Ooops...I think I got busted. "What are you doing pointing that thing at me, Fool?"

DSC_0003.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Three of 'em showed up about dark. A lot easier to get an in-flight shot when they fight.

DSC_0027 (2).JPG

DSC_0032 (2).JPG

DSC_0045 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great pictures Mike!

Thanks, Connie. The ones of the two fighting are a bit grainy. I think it may be because it was starting to get dark outside and I had the camera set on shutter speed as priority and the rest of the settings the camera did on auto. I believe the camera had a bit too much ISO speed to compensate for it getting dark, and I had the zoom as far as it would go so the birds kinda danced in and out of the focus sweet spot.

I dunno...I wouldn't make a pimple on a real photographer's....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The ones I posted below yours had the shutter speed set at 1/4000 and that seemed to do it. Those little sucker's wings move FAST!

Beauties! I'm still appreciating ours, and have a second feeder out.

As with helicopters, some blur gives motion ...

AA

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
We still have a couple and they are BOLD! One got in the garage the other day and would not go down to get under the edge of the garage door. I turned off the fluorescents (four 8ft tubes) and bam, away he went.

Top Bottom