What's new

Hubby Wants To Play

If it needs to be a TTO that Van der Hagen is a pretty good razor for a reasonable price. It was my first razor. I've not owned a Parker but I think their TTO razors are all plated brass. If he's a little OCD i would try to avoid a zamak razor. If he gets some corrosion on his razor as can happen with zamak it might drive him nuts.

If it needs to be a TTO that Van der Hagen is a pretty good razor for a reasonable price. It was my first razor. I've not owned a Parker but I think their TTO razors are all plated brass. If he's a little OCD i would try to avoid a zamak razor. If he gets some corrosion on his razor as can happen with zamak it might drive him nuts.
Van der Hagen is all brass, with the Parkers only the handle is brass the
Head and doors on all Parker razors are
Zamak.

We went to the local grocery store today to pick up what we need for the week. Since I started DE shaving a few weeks back I have been checking the offerings in the very limited shaving department. There were never any DE blades, much less any DE razors. There was some brand or other of beard oil, lots of canned goo for men and women, a couple of different tubes and powder canisters and such. And, of course, a plethora of cartridge razors and cartridge refills.

Well, my friends, today there were Van der Hagen blades and a razor. I picked them up and said, “Look honey, there is actually a DE razor and blades here.” He asked, “Why don’t you get some blades?” I said, “I’m still working my way through my sample pack to decide what I like, so no need to buy more until I know.” And I walked off.

In a minute I was farther down the aisle looking at something else when I heard him exclaim, “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! These blades are 10 for $2.99!” I said, “Oh, sweetie, that’s far too expensive for only 10 blades. You can buy 100 for somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-10.” His chin nearly hit the floor.

After picking his chin up, he said “Maybe I want to try shaving with an old-timey razor.”

He already has a Simpson brush with stand, a lovely pottery scuttle, and some shave soaps I got him for Christmas several years ago, but he never made the jump to a DE razor. Seeing the price difference between cartridges and DE blades is enough to make him give it a go. Needless to say, we may have another convert on our hands.

What would you recommend for his first razor? Bear in mind it must be brand new, never used, since he is a little OCD, and I think with his hand issues (multiple surgeries for Dupuytren’s contracture) he would appreciate a TTO. He also keeps a beard most of the time and only shaves his cheeks and neck. ETA: He would also like a longer handle.

Thanks for all feedback and suggestions from this fine and generous community of gentlemen and ladies.

I would go for either an EJ 89 series or a Merkur 34C. Both are great shavers!!

considering the nature of his hand condition it may not be a good idea to get him a TTO razor. Not just from the requirements of finer motor skill and range of motion to open and close the doors. But from this.

With a screwed up hand, if the dominant hand is messed up like it can be with his condition, he is going to need to use odd grip on the handle and that will NORMALLY mean that the TTO knob will be coming in contact with a finger... that means the blade CAN loosen during the shave. NOT what we want.

I have bouts of carpal tunnel issue. In those times I NEED something heavy like a fat boy. Since you want to get him new, a standard 3 piece razor will let him get any handle length and weight he needs.

And he will need to start learning how to shave with his other hand as well.

I've used both the Merkur 23C and the Wilkinson Classic TTO, so here's a mini-review.

They are both mild, and have long handles, features that might be a good starting point for a cartridge user.

The Wilkinson has a thick non-detachable barber-pole handle, probably its most attractive feature. The Merkur has a screw-on hollow brass (?) handle, which is a bit thin.

The Wilkinson TTO looks good, is cheap, but (IMO) wouldn't survive a fall on the floor very well. It goes for £15 (discounted to £12) in the UK.

The Merkur is more expensive, and not all that much different an experience (extra points for a thin, agile head), except that you can transplant that 3-piece head onto a different handle, when you find the handle you like, or use the long handle on something else.

Neither is a bad starting point. I like 3 piece designs, but I might not, if I had difficulty loading them.

Thanks for each and every reply. You guys are the best.

He chose a Parker 96r because of handle length, price point, availability with Prime free shipping, good reviews, and that if he decides DE shaving is not for him it will fit nicely with my continuing DE future and probable RAD. He also ordered a blade sample pack which has yet to arrive, but shows as delivered. Amazon makes you wait 36 hours for something to show up even after it tracks as delivered. Lots of our deliveries end up at the neighbor’s, but not this one. Why in heck did it not come USPS instead of UPS since it’s such a tiny package?

Anywhoodle, the Parker came with a tuck of blades. Try them or not? While we are waiting for the sample pack to be found or replaced, he’d like to give it a go over the weekend when he can go slowly and have the whole experience of lathering in his scuttle and using some of his nice shaving soaps. I could share a blade or two from my pack and replace them when his finally shows up.

And finally, as a non-face shaver I have zero experience with after shave products. What should we have on hand other than a styptic pencil and Thayer’s Witch Hazel which we already have? I can readily obtain an alum block, but I don’t have a clue about any other necessary products. Help me out guys. I want him to be successful right out of the gate.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Other than a razor, blade, brush and soap I'm not sure there are any other 'necessary products'. I dont use any.

As far as after shave products go, think how would you like him to smell and go from there lol.

Remember Try A Blade when hunting for sample blades. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try.

Other than a razor, blade, brush and soap I'm not sure there are any other 'necessary products'. I dont use any.

As far as after shave products go, think how would you like him to smell and go from there lol.

Remember Try A Blade when hunting for sample blades. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try.
Well how cool is that! I never knew about Try A Blade. Thank you very much. We can both build a sampler together and each get what we want.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There is a rumor that the Personna plant in Israel may be shut down with production moving to another plant, so if you do like them, I suggest buying them in bulk.
What??? Rumors to drive buying decisions. That’s the first I’ve seen of that on a shave forum. Also stock up on Palmolive shave sticks. They won’t be around much longer. 🙂

He might want to get some Nivea sensitive after shave balm to take care of any razor burn from using too much pressure. When I first started I couldn't get the idea of no pressure through my thick skull.

He might want to get some Nivea sensitive after shave balm to take care of any razor burn from using too much pressure. When I first started I couldn't get the idea of no pressure through my thick skull.
He has been “practicing” a light touch with his current cart. I think he really wants this to become a thing because he has sticker shock every time he need refills. Thanks for the recommendation. I saw some at our local grocery, so it will be easy to get our hands on it right away.

What??? Rumors to drive buying decisions. That’s the first I’ve seen of that on a shave forum. Also stock up on Palmolive shave sticks. They won’t be around much longer. 🙂

That may be a rumor at this point, but since Personna recently purchased the Harry's manufacturing facility in Germany, I suspect there may be some basis in fact to the rumor that the Bethlehem plant may be closing. If the Israeli plant does close, the equipment and products could well relocate to other Personna facilities, perhaps even the Harry's plant in Germany. However, that does not mean that the products made in the future will be identical to the ones made currently.

If Personna Israeli Reds are your go to blade, having a 100 or so in reserve would not be a bad idea. I purchased a 100 before I heard the rumor, but even if they disappear, I have plenty of alternatives I like just as well.

I know he's already made his choice but if he wants to try another razor, I'd also recommend the VDH TTO or Merkur 34c. The VDH got a bum rap by many in here when it first came out as being an el-cheapo razor and not of good quality. Well at the price point, it's a very decent razor. I have it and I actually like it. As far as the VDH ice tempered blades, that could be another story. My first VDH blade in the VDH TTO was excellent. Very very good. But the blade after that wasn't. Onto the 34c...very solid, nice looking razor that does a great job. Fairly mild, but performs great.

If memory serves, the 96R shipped with sharks. They were fine. But, I'm a HUGE fan of try a blade. I would simply suggest, if both of you are traveling down the path, to get at least 2x per blade. I often purchased 5 per just for myself. I can rationalize my ABC-XYZ buying decisions, but it doesn't make them rational. Happy shaves! [I still have cartridges on hand, but only two-blade Sensor/Sensor Excels]

Last edited:
Anywhoodle
I have a new favorite word.
What should we have on hand
Thayer's is a great start. I'm a huge fan of Stirling Soap for a variety of reasons. Their unscented witch hazel and aloe, and their unscented alcohol-based after shaves (with or without menthol) are great and I always have them in my den. With that said, my humble opinion is to start slow. Change one thing at a time. Razor is new, you otherwise have good post-shave comfort in Thayer's. I don't think you need more products out of the gate. But I am also happy to enable #AD. (that's not a twitter hashtag; that's an insert your term/abbreviation for the #).

If the man wants a CLASSIC after shave experience, the ONLY option is LISTERINE amber/yellow with the ALCOHOL in it. It WORKS. its actually a fun thing, and the smell goes away in minutes.

Not sure about persona blades now. I have a 100 count American copyrighted 2015 that are great, and a box of copy right 2017 that power through stubble but feel very grabby and appear to be thicker.

Top Bottom