What's new

How would I go about getting rid of yellow streaks and brown spots on my Gillette Fatboy?

I recently purchased a Fatboy off someone and I'm hoping to clean it up. I have already used Flitz which helped a little bit I'm wondering if it's still possible to save this razor. I have attached a picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 91

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Looks like plating loss to these tired eyes. It shouldn’t effect the shave. Use and enjoy the shaves.

If I replate something and then 60 years later, this starts to happen again can I replate it a second time?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
If I replate something and then 60 years later, this starts to happen again can I replate it a second time?
Yes, but if it's done right and you take care of it, you'll never need to.[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, but if it's done right and you take care of it, you'll never need to.[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
+1
The original plating was to make it palatable to the masses. Having an antique re-plated, other than making "true antique collectors" feint faint, means it is considered special by the person, so extra care, etc. is taken to do an excellent job, and is priced accordingly.

@Kelvin0683 To your original question, if you are happy with the results after polishing with Flitz, there is nothing preventing you from using it as is, provided you also cleaned it. You will just have to be more vigilant about keeping it clean and dry (between uses, of course) to prevent oxidation of the substrate.

Wiping dry any safety razor will help to keep it in better condition and reduce the presence of contaminants. Your plating is compromised on the doors. As a result it will be more susceptible to oxidation of the base metal. No need to get anxious; regular use, wiping dry and leaving it in a well ventilated area will help keep it going for a long time. If you do ever put it away for a while, some mineral oil or other mild protectant on those surfaces will help protect it while not being used. Good luck!

The Flitz also leaves a waxy protective coating that should keep the brass from oxidizing too badly. I have a couple of razors with brass showing and it has never been a problem. Unless you just hate the plate loss, I say let it ride. I'm of the mind that the damage gives it character. It's 60 years+ old and it can still do its job. More than a little impressive.

Wiping dry any safety razor will help to keep it in better condition and reduce the presence of contaminants. Your plating is compromised on the doors. As a result it will be more susceptible to oxidation of the base metal. No need to get anxious; regular use, wiping dry and leaving it in a well ventilated area will help keep it going for a long time. If you do ever put it away for a while, some mineral oil or other mild protectant on those surfaces will help protect it while not being used. Good luck!
That was my thinking when I sanded and buffed this Aristocrat that had extreme plating loss and suffered some kind of abuse resulting in deep pits and scratches. I couldn't even shave with it because it felt so rough.
Before:

After:
After each use (of any razor) I always go over it with a toothbrush, rinse again, and towel-dry inside and out.
So far so good.

I recently purchased a Fatboy off someone and I'm hoping to clean it up. I have already used Flitz which helped a little bit I'm wondering if it's still possible to save this razor. I have attached a picture below.
Looks fine for shaving, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom