What's new

How to?

I recently purchased a brush on the bay, and was wanting some info, or links to the threads on how to restore the brush. This will be my first attempt at a restore project. I have read one thread about steaming the handle and the old knot will fall out cleanly? And where can I actually get a new knot? I was looking at the golden nib, but it seems alot of their sizes were out of stock... Any kind of info from you pros will be completely appreciated!!! Thanks, Chad

There's lots of good info on the process in the stickies. Here's my process of restoring the handle, there are plenty of other threads that will explain how to set the knot. TGN should have the knots back in stock soon. But whipped dog also has knots in limited sizes.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/328177-My-Restoration-Process

EDIT: Please don't use the steam method unless its a solid handle. I wouldn't use it anyways, too much risk involved. Removing the knot by hand is very easy and you have much more control over the situation.

Last edited:
There's lots of good info on the process in the stickies. Here's my process of restoring the handle, there are plenty of other threads that will explain how to set the knot. TGN should have the knots back in stock soon. But whipped dog also has knots in limited sizes.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/328177-My-Restoration-Process

EDIT: Please don't use the steam method unless its a solid handle. I wouldn't use it anyways, too much risk involved. Removing the knot by hand is very easy and you have much more control over the situation.

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have most of the tools necessary. As far as the steam method...Note taken, I will not even try it that way. :thumbup1:

I am currently in the process of restoring my first brush. The entire brush was filled with plaster, which I completely removed using my Dremel tool. Then I used Loctite Heavy Duty epoxy to fill the brush completely. Now it's at the correct level for the loft, I just need to set the knot it. It isn't nearly as hard as it sounds.

If you have all the supplies, it shouldn't take more than three days, and only that long because the epoxy needs to cure properly.

Top Bottom