What's new

Need help identifying this vintage brush

Hello all, I recently scooped up this vintage brush. It’s a 2 piece metal and wood. I got the knot out and the nasty smelling adhesive. It came with a boar hair knot. The top metal part appears to be brass or copper? Seems to be in pretty good condition. It threads smoothly. I plan on restoring it by sanding and staining the wood. Not sure what I’ll do with the top cap yet. I’ll see about getting a knot after restoring from AP Shave Co. Any tips on “waterproofing” the wood and protecting the top from potential corrosion?

IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

Size comparison to a Simpson M6
IMG_0523.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
I have no idea who made it but it looks like a very nice specimen.

May I suggest having the cap nickle plated. That should provide the protection you are after and rally make it stand out. Either bright nickle or brushed nickle. Call around to local plating shops and find someone that does a lot of nickle and they may be able to keep the cost down by including it with a bigger batch.

While not the full answer for you, I do know this style of metal ferrule & wood base was highly popular in Spain for several years. Perhaps that will help as a lead for you!

It's a lovely brush, please keep us updated as to its origin & your restoration. It reminds me a bit of a Danidom brush, which was made in Spain, IIRC.

Top Bottom