What's new

How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It isn’t necessary to thin it. I just apply a few very small dots of paste and rub it around with a finger. Those little diamond bits get all over the balsa even though you can’t see them.

It isn’t necessary to thin it. I just apply a few very small dots of paste and rub it around with a finger. Those little diamond bits get all over the balsa even though you can’t see them.

I’m just following original directions. On the .01u I havemade , I don’t feel Like the distribution is even and would like the .25 u and .5 u to have more even distribution

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Where did you get .01u paste? I wouldn't bother with it, anyway. .1u is about as fine as you can use to good effect. .01u is only 10 nanometers. Thats kinda small. Like electron microscope small. The wavelength of light visible to the human eye, for comparison, is about 390 to 700 nanometers. So .01u is really really really small.

Is random balsa from a craft store suitable or is there something in particular I should look for? Aside from no obvious imperfections, worth looking through their inventory for a piece with a more consistent grain or something?

Having gone into some detail when asked or prompted in many threads, I thought I should comprehensively lay out the method in a separate thread, for reference.

Thing 1. The Balsa Strop.

Buy 3" wide balsa. Best to buy a 36" length. It is cheaper. Hobby Hut, Hobby Lobby, and other brick and mortars carries it. Or purchase online, at 3x the cost. 1/2" thick works well. Cut it into 3 12" pieces. For best results, which I believe are the only results worth pursuing, glue the balsa to a heavy piece of glass, or marble tile cut to size. Not wood. Not plastic. The idea is to bond the balsa to a dimensionally stable substrate, to fight the tendency of the balsa to warp.

The balsa must be lapped, for best results, which as I already pointed out, are the only type of results worth pursuing. Even if it looks flat and smooth. try 220 or 320 grit sandpaper. Or 400. Whatevah. Or a progression. Spray the back side of the sandpaper with Loctite or 3M spray adhesive. Just a faint dusting of the adhesive works great. Carefully stick the sandpaper to a polished granite countertop or a large heavy piece of glass. The flatter, the better. Eyeball flat is not good enough. Make sure the sandpaper goes on smooth and tight with no bubbles or wrinkles. This is extremely important. Now place the balsa face down on the sandpaper and carefully rub rub rub. When you see you have created a whole new surface, obviously the balsa is now as flat as the sandpaper. So, the flatter, the better.

Thing 2. The Diamond Paste.

I have not experimented much yet with finer grits than .1u, so that is the finest I can authoritively comment on. You need .1u, and .25u, and .5u. If you made 3 pieces, that works out well. I get mine from www.tedpella.com but there are a lot of vendors. It is sold in as high as 50% diamond but there is no need to go over 10%. The reason is, less is more. You want the diamond crystals embedded into the balsa, not rolling and scooting around on top of it. You can also get 1u and 3u, both of which are handy for polishing even if you dont use them on balsa much or at all.

Thing 3. Putting it all together.

It only takes a little bit. If you think you got enough, then you probably have about 3x too much. You MUST NOT have a coating on the balsa. You want a very small amount, rubbed in to the balsa. About 1/3 of a pinto bean worth or a bit less. Spread it around and rub it in good. You can thin it down with acetone or something if you like, for better distribution. Now, this is very important. It doesn't matter if you contaminate a coarse grit with a finer one. But you must NEVER let a coarser grit contaminate a finer one. the way it works is each stage makes scratches in the steel, the size of which is determined by the grit size. Each grit must totally eliminate the coarser scratches of the previous grit, replacing it with its own finer scratches. Even a few crystals of a coarser grit basically ruin your results from the finer grit. So, always clean your hands thoroughly when going from grit to grit. Applying diamond to the balsa, start with the finer grit first. Label it by writing the grit size on the ends of the balsa. Do the .1u balsa, then the .25u balsa, then the .5u balsa, etc. Now the proper sign is μ which stands for micron, but we usually use "u" because it is right there on the keyboard.

Thing 4. Using it.

You COULD just use the balsa to touch up an edge that is failing, but I prefer to hit it after every shave, so I never experience a dull or dulling edge. At least, not often. I go 2 or 3 dozen laps on the .25u, then a like number on the .1u. Fairly light pressure. Edge trailing. Use a slight x stroke even though the balsa is wider than the razor's edge. Always wipe the blade VERY WELL after stropping on a pasted balsa or between grits. You MUST NOT contaminate the finer balsa with coarser diamond, or get any diamond on your regular leather hanging strop. You will NOT GET BEST RESULTS if that happens. And best results are the only results worth pursuing. Sometimes I skip the .25u and just go 4 dozen laps on the .1u. I finish by laying the blade on the balsa and drawing it straight across and off the balsa. This helps to remove any fin edge. Occasionally it will seem like my edge is starting to go north on me, and that is when I go with the .5u or 1u. I strop until I am satisfied with the way the razor treetops forearm hair, then I hit my finer grits as usual.

Thing 5. Improving it.

After final stropping on diamond/balsa, I like to give my razor a special treat. I keep a piece of 1/16" thick, 3"wide balsa unpasted. I rest one end on a bench or counter or table, and hold the other end in my left hand. I strop on this very flexible unpasted balsa sheet, letting it sag slightly, about like a hanging strop drawn moderately tight. This seems to remove any vestiges of fin edge much better than linen. I am still experimenting with this technique but it is definitely an improvement.

Thing 5. Maintaining it.

After a few weeks, you may find that the balsa needs a refresh of diamond. You could just add a bit more, about half of what you used when you first pasted the balsa, but for BEST POSSIBLE results, which are the only kind of results worth pursuing, go ahead and re-lap the balsa. Sure, you got it flat, but it isn't flat anymore. Flatter is better.

Thing 6.. Other abrasives.

I have been asked again and again if CrOx (Chromium Oxide) won't work. Yes, it does work. I just don't believe it works as well as diamond. First of all there is basically only one grade of CrOx. Call it .5u, or call it .3u. The particle variation is so wide that it is practically the same whichever way you call it. If you use CrOx and you want to go finer, get some FeOx, or Iron Oxide, which runs around .1u grit size. Yes, they are cheaper than diamond. But you use so little, the cost is irrelevant. I strongly recommend going with diamond. Best possible results, right? You might also take a look at CBN, Cubic Nitride Boron or something like that. The new thing.

IN CLOSING, I just want to say that this works. I basically never have to re-hone a razor that I have maintained with this method. YMMV, I am sure, but there is no reason not to try it my way. Hardly any steel is lost even in daily use. 1u is approximately equivelant to a 12k Naniwa Superstone. .1u of course is 10x finer. Some naysayers will state that this will surely cause a harsh edge. I use this method and the only kind of edges I get are sh-sh-sh-sh-SHARRRRRRRPPPPPPPP ones. Give it a go, and if you do it right you will love it.
Just went over this again, great info. Thank you

i read about claims of specific nuances provided by different finishing stones, even films......

lets say i finish a SR on film , or any (fill in exotic hone name) , then finish with .5u,.25u, .1u pasted balsa followed by strop.

Do I loose the characteristic of (fill in exotic hone name)????

Is primary characteristic now "pasted balsa" vs (fill in exotic hone name)?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yes it will then be a balsa "Method" edge. But in order to achieve this, the balsa progression must have a very sharp edge with a very precise bevel to build upon. You cannot get a proper Method edge by balsa stropping a razor with a so-so edge. It's like when Curley Stooge tries to think. Nothing happens.

So I finally got around to building these and trying them on a couple of razors. Summary: The Method lives up to the hype, totally worth the scavenger hunt and far sharper than I'd been able to manage otherwise. Possible sharper than Feather blades? Really sharp anyway.

Toronto source for acrylic

I don't know if it would be a great source for Canada in general because they wanted a fair bit for shipping, but Acrylics By Design here in Toronto was pleasant to deal with, had the best pricing of the places I contacted, and did a fantastic job. Since I dragged a couple others into this idea and got a couple pieces for backing my stones, I was also buying enough of them that the $25 extra labor to do the cutting on CNC (and get the dimensions exact) + polish the edges was well worth it. I find the polished edges are comfortable to hold and am glad I didn't pay for chamfering which was significantly more.

Alternate approach using diamond powder

Ted Pella's shipping to Canada was quite expensive. Found this listing for diamond powder on eBay that offers the necessary particle sizes at a good price that included shipping and so decided to give it a shot despite this deviating from The Method and perhaps thus sacrificing Best Possible Results.

To apply it I used a piece of thin plastic roughly the size of the balsa. Using a chopstick, I placed a bit of diamond powder (probably more than 10% of 1/3 of a pinto bean, but that's what I was aiming for) on the plastic and then poured a bit of mineral oil on it. Then I folded the plastic over that, mixed it around, and tried to distribute it evenly over the surface which I then placed on the balsa and rubbed around until I couldn't see any diamond/oil left on the plastic. Reassuringly, I couldn't really see it on the balsa, which might lead one to believe it wasn't enough but thanks to Slash's eloquent description I knew that meant I was on the right track.

I then rubbed it in further with a soft cloth that presumably also took care of any excess. At this point it really looked like I hadn't done anything so it was nice to see a bit of swarf accumulate when I started using it, mostly on the .5µ as you'd expect.

Wipe after sanding

One thing I would suggest is also wiping the balsa before applying the diamond. Even though I used a blower to get rid of the sawdust after sanding, I found I was surprised by how much material the dry cloth collected when I wiped the first strop. Experimentally, I tried wiping the second strop pre-diamond and found a similar result. Seems the finest of the dust managed to cling to the wood.

Question: How would I know if I still had a fin/wire edge?

So far, while I'm convinced this is the sharpest edge I've experienced, it hasn't been the most comfortable shave. But I am quite inexperienced and do find that the resulting irritation is also tending to happen exactly where I expect: on my neck where I have the most sensitive skin and worst technique. As a result, I assume this is just the sharper edge being less forgiving of my errors.

I did do some draw strokes, but if I didn't fully remove the fin edge, would it be obvious? eg. would it likely be rough all over and not just where I happen to be most sensitive? The edge looked smooth on my cheap 640x480 "800x" usb microscope, would a fin edge be inconsistent and jagged from partially breaking off?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
At 800x most definitely you will see any artifacts on the edge. Really, 200x is plenty of magnification.

The cure/prevention of course is more pull strokes, followed by a half dozen ordinary laps. At the .1u level I really don't think it is possible to have too many pull strokes. Coarser grits, maybe. At .5u I would not want more than a dozen, I am thinking. YMMV.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I finally got around to building these and trying them on a couple of razors. Summary: The Method lives up to the hype, totally worth the scavenger hunt and far sharper than I'd been able to manage otherwise. Possible sharper than Feather blades? Really sharp anyway.

Toronto source for acrylic

I don't know if it would be a great source for Canada in general because they wanted a fair bit for shipping, but Acrylics By Design here in Toronto was pleasant to deal with, had the best pricing of the places I contacted, and did a fantastic job. Since I dragged a couple others into this idea and got a couple pieces for backing my stones, I was also buying enough of them that the $25 extra labor to do the cutting on CNC (and get the dimensions exact) + polish the edges was well worth it. I find the polished edges are comfortable to hold and am glad I didn't pay for chamfering which was significantly more.

Alternate approach using diamond powder

Ted Pella's shipping to Canada was quite expensive. Found this listing for diamond powder on eBay that offers the necessary particle sizes at a good price that included shipping and so decided to give it a shot despite this deviating from The Method and perhaps thus sacrificing Best Possible Results.

To apply it I used a piece of thin plastic roughly the size of the balsa. Using a chopstick, I placed a bit of diamond powder (probably more than 10% of 1/3 of a pinto bean, but that's what I was aiming for) on the plastic and then poured a bit of mineral oil on it. Then I folded the plastic over that, mixed it around, and tried to distribute it evenly over the surface which I then placed on the balsa and rubbed around until I couldn't see any diamond/oil left on the plastic. Reassuringly, I couldn't really see it on the balsa, which might lead one to believe it wasn't enough but thanks to Slash's eloquent description I knew that meant I was on the right track.

I then rubbed it in further with a soft cloth that presumably also took care of any excess. At this point it really looked like I hadn't done anything so it was nice to see a bit of swarf accumulate when I started using it, mostly on the .5µ as you'd expect.

Wipe after sanding

One thing I would suggest is also wiping the balsa before applying the diamond. Even though I used a blower to get rid of the sawdust after sanding, I found I was surprised by how much material the dry cloth collected when I wiped the first strop. Experimentally, I tried wiping the second strop pre-diamond and found a similar result. Seems the finest of the dust managed to cling to the wood.

Question: How would I know if I still had a fin/wire edge?

So far, while I'm convinced this is the sharpest edge I've experienced, it hasn't been the most comfortable shave. But I am quite inexperienced and do find that the resulting irritation is also tending to happen exactly where I expect: on my neck where I have the most sensitive skin and worst technique. As a result, I assume this is just the sharper edge being less forgiving of my errors.

I did do some draw strokes, but if I didn't fully remove the fin edge, would it be obvious? eg. would it likely be rough all over and not just where I happen to be most sensitive? The edge looked smooth on my cheap 640x480 "800x" usb microscope, would a fin edge be inconsistent and jagged from partially breaking off?
Congrats! You did it. The Method produces superb edges. Keep at it and you will be surprised how good it gets. I have razors I haven’t had to hone since I started in April just by doing the .1u maintenance daily. I’m finding the edges actually improve rather than deteriorate.

@Slash McCoy a dozen eh? Ok, I was doing half that, will add some more to be safe and see if that helps. But ya, I don't see anything although I put the "800x" in quotes for a good reason, I doubt it quite manages that. 200x I'm pretty sure it gets to though. Still an amazing device for 10 bucks. Feedback much appreciated!

@steveclarkus thanks for the encouragement! Fell back to one I have a coticule edge on for today to give my face a break but I'll keep at it with the balsa. Based on what you say I'll concentrate my balsa efforts on a single razor and see how the edge matures over time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@Slash McCoy a dozen eh? Ok, I was doing half that, will add some more to be safe and see if that helps. But ya, I don't see anything although I put the "800x" in quotes for a good reason, I doubt it quite manages that. 200x I'm pretty sure it gets to though. Still an amazing device for 10 bucks. Feedback much appreciated!

@steveclarkus thanks for the encouragement! Fell back to one I have a coticule edge on for today to give my face a break but I'll keep at it with the balsa. Based on what you say I'll concentrate my balsa efforts on a single razor and see how the edge matures over time.
Great. I would like to hear back from you on that. The biggest improvement seems to be the comfort of the edge.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

If edge looks good under magnification, and does well at treetopping or HHT, whatever sharpness test you use, and you don't see any deep scratches in the bevel especially near the edge, then you should be good. Running the balsa progression again or maybe just the .1u ought to bring it home nicely. I find that a half dozen pull strokes is enough. For me. And I am only theorizing about more than a dozen possibly being excessive at coarser grits. It is a YMMV thing at this point. But if every indication is that you have a sharp Method edge, maybe it is your shave that is off, and you need to adjust to the keener edge by using a tighter shave angle. These edges, especially on a razor with an acute bevel angle, perform best with the spine barely off the face, for most shavers. I know I very nearly drag the spine on my face when shaving with a well finished Method edge, same as with a shavette and a Feather DE blade. This is I think part of the perception of greater smoothness that most Method honers experience in their shaves. Note that actually dragging the spine can make the shave feel less rather than more kind to the face. That is very much a YMMV thing I think. Having tried it, I find the razor sometimes travels in fits and starts, kind of jerky, with the spine dragging, even with the best lather I can manage. Lifting it just off the skin is a game changer, for me.

One more thing that I might mention is that a very highly polished bevel that is particularly wide can sometimes develop a sort of stiction to the face. This can make a razor feel unkind to the skin. Lately I have been giving some thought to this and I might try to come up with a workable, practical solution to that problem. Meanwhile if you are getting comfortable edges on razors with a narrower bevel but not very wide bevels, (talking about the actual width of the bevel surface) you might try your hand at Jnat finishing. Under certain conditions a Jnat finish with it's classic cloudy surface seems to break the face stiction. YMMV. Or else go back to the higher shave angle and just watch the pressure closely. There are so many factors at play here that sometimes with some razors you get unexpected results that make slight changes in technique perform better. This entire post is very much a YMMV thing. Sticking to The Method as originally posted WILL give you an astonishingly sharp edge. USUALLY with a small shave angle it will feel very smooth on the face. If none of your razors do, assuming you have a variety of razors and not just a bouquet of GDs or wedges or whatever, then you are doing something wrong. Look to the shave, as well as to the edge itself, for the answer.

Haha, yes, no maybe about it, I'm almost certain it's my inexperience as I'm little more than three dozen shaves in. 'tis why I said "I assume this is just the sharper edge being less forgiving of my errors." Thanks for reiterating the advice about shave angle; I was definitely dialing it back with the sharpness in mind but not to the degree you're talking about so you've very likely diagnosed exactly my issue. Now I will see how close I can get and still shave.

My question about wire edges was because you included the draw strokes to deal with them and I'd always seen them mentioned as a possible consequence to edge trailing honing but I have no idea how I'd notice if I was failing to knock them free entirely. I'll not worry about it much since you say it should be quite apparent on the scope and I do a careful pass still before subjecting myself to a new edge. Out of curiosity though, how would it shave if I had one? I get the impression it wouldn't be subtle?

Top Bottom