What's new

How to repaint your Fatboy black stripe.

Hello there my fine fellows,

I dicided to post about how to repaint the black stripe under your Fatboy Dial. The FB on the picture is maybe the 150th razor that I restored (Cleaning, Polish & cosmetic), I've came up with some technics of my own (many trial and errors) and I think that FB owners will like this one.

What you need:
1.Testor flat black bottle
2. Plumber tape
3. A Q-tip
4. A Fatboy

P.S: What you need if you fail the first try:
1. Q-tips
2. Isopropyl Alcohol
3. Glass of Scotch optional. :D

proxy.php

As you can see, you need to tape your fatboy over and under the stripe, make many tours and make sure its tight so the paint won't go under and make a mess.

proxy.php

Take your Q-Tip, twist the tip a bit (make it pointy). Edit: Mix your paint well to eliminate the layer of clear oil at the surface, or you'll end up painting with oil. Sorry for the confusion : /
Now you are ready to do a makeup to your Fatboy : ) The safe way to make it is to make dot and slowly cover the whole thing.

proxy.php

Wait a couple minutes and remove the plomber tape.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It look better, ain't it ?

Last edited:
Looks good. Will the testers wear with water or scrubbing bubbles?
Scrubbing bubble can remove the original paint if you soak your razor too long in it, I guess its no different for the testor. However, you can always redo it if it eventually fade away.

Mix your paint well, you don't want to paint with nothing else than grey clear that won't cover the yellow brass.

That looks great. I'm confused about this sentence though. I don't see any mention of grey clear before this, just flat black.

Excellent job. If one wanted it to last longer or just glossy you could always apply a thin coat of metal lacquer over the paint.

Mix your paint well, you don't want to paint with nothing else than grey clear that won't cover the yellow brass.

I think he is saying to mix the paint well so you do not have any gray or clear only black to apply to the yellow brass.

Thanks Max, I like your process. I do not think I would have thought of Teflon plumbers tape. What a great idea!!!!:thumbup1:

That looks sharp! I have a D-3 that actually still has the black numbers and band. I'm wondering if it had gotten repainted or in just real good shape.

What happens to make the black disappear in the first place?

The handle area has the panted black ring that is attached to the handle part. It is part of the area where the adjuster piece inserts into the handle. Sometimes heavy cleaning products can erase the paint.

heres a pic of the inside

attachment.php

proxy.php

The handle area has the panted black ring that is attached to the handle part. It is part of the area where the adjuster piece inserts into the handle. Sometimes heavy cleaning products can erase the paint.

heres a pic of the inside

attachment.php

proxy.php

Many times I noticed a discoloration of the paint after a bath in Scrubbing Bubble. Maybe 10 minute is too much ? Now I only use Isopropyl alcohol to sanitize them. Oh and penetrant oils like Liquid Wrench or Kroil make it melt like chocolat over lava : /

Last edited:
Bringing this back up. Remembered it from back in the day and decided to give it a shot since it’s raining and had everything on hand.

My only personal note is that its easier than one would think to lay down the teflon tape evenly and tight. Trying to cut it with a sharp blade evenly is a waste of time. I also ran the adjuster all the way to 9 for some more room to work with.
66BAC676-B83F-41C0-9EC7-58CAD77C1C3B.png

Bit too late for the main discussion, but this would be no effort at all for Warhammer 40k figurine painter, lol.

Top Bottom