What's new

How to properly clean old razors

My gosh, is that what is going to happen to my razors when I die? A rummage sale? Geez.
Yes. That is exactly the fate that is in store for your precious collection if you do nothing.
You must sell them all to us before you go.
Knowing you have found them all good and loving homes is just the sort of karma you are looking for.
You will then be able to pass with an unburthened soul and truly rest in peace!

Yes. That is exactly the fate that is in store for your precious collection if you do nothing.
You must sell them all to us before you go.
Knowing you have found them all good and loving homes is just the sort of karma you are looking for.
You will then be able to pass with an unburthened soul and truly rest in peace!
What if I want to be buried with my prized razors? Will the B&B community smite me?

Depending on your collection you may want an unmarked grave as you could be the first to be grave robbed for shaving supplies. Lol.
Good point, and it made me think of something: does anyone realize that many of our vintage razors were actually used for someone’s last shave? Kinda morbid to think about haha

That's one of the things that drew me in.
It’s interesting to imagine the stories of those who owned our razors before us...the guys in the 1930’s buying their open combs could never imagine that here in the new millennium we love them and they are collectors items that are still used and treasured every day. To them, it was just a dumb razor.

Wow!!!! What a great find. But in all seriousness, why wouldn't you shave with them??? Clean and sterilize them, then shave with them! For the love of all things holy shave with them.

Welcome.

From left to right:
Slim, Toggle, Rocket HD, Super adjustable, Aristocrat, Fatboy.

Excellent deal, wow. Great collection!

I agree with dishwashing liquid soap + soft tooth brush. Can give the nickel plated razors a good scrub but careful with the gold.

Some recommend scrubbing bubbles but the ultra sonic cleaner does a fine job as well for nickel.

Why not shave with them :thumbup1:
Thank you very much for telling me the names of these :)

Great Score.

Worth
Slim: $30
Toggle $150
Rocket $25
BB $40
Aristocrat $75
Fat Boy $50

Total $350-$400

Looks like somebody's collection. I wonder if this is an old member of B&B who has passed away or somebody got caught opening the wrong drawers and a scorned woman is having her revenge!

There were many more in the box on the rummage sale table, at least three more of the toggle switch type. I just took 6 from the box that looked different from each other. I should have bought the whole box maybe there was a total of 30 razors in there. I was thinking about deconstructing them and framing the parts. But now I know that they have value, I might try and shave with them. I found this website, with a simple search for " How to Clean Razors" I needed to join in order to post my question. I am really thankful for the awesome replies and suggestions. I only wish now that I had bought the whole box of them for $ 20.00.

The Toggle is one of the best shaving razors that I have ever used.
Dawn dish soap is what I use with hot hot hot water not boiling water but hot.
Let them soak until the water cools down and then do it again.
A old tooth brush and they should be fine.
The soak will loosen up the gunk inside the razors.

Thank you for the suggestion, I might go and try to find some blades at wallgreens and see how it compares to shaving with my gillette fusion.

Ultrasonic cleaners may take off the painted numbers and the gold tone on the razors. I would not use them on those razors but on the others, it would be fine.

You did well!!!

Thank you very much for your reply, I think that I will just soak them longer and use a tooth brush. I only just used hand soap and warm water on them until now.

Great Score.

Worth
Slim: $30
Toggle $150
Rocket $25
BB $40
Aristocrat $75
Fat Boy $50

Total $350-$400

Looks like somebody's collection. I wonder if this is an old member of B&B who has passed away or somebody got caught opening the wrong drawers and a scorned woman is having her revenge!

I don't know, it was just a bunch of grandmothers there walking around and buying stuff. I accompanied my grandmother there, and walking checking the tables, noticed the razors. I like to look for unusual stuff to use for art projects, kind of a hobby of mine.

Wow!!!! What a great find. But in all seriousness, why wouldn't you shave with them??? Clean and sterilize them, then shave with them! For the love of all things holy shave with them.

I think that I will thanks for the tip.

My god! did you get a great deal. The Toggle alone is worth 50 times what you paid for the lot!
A long soak in warm water, with Dawn, or any other washing up liquid is a good start, followed by a meticulous scrub with a soft tooth-brush. Avoid scrubbing painted surfaces. Some would advise following up with a mild silver polish, but I should be wary of any abrasives, if I were you. Afterwards, a polishing cloth or woollen buffing wheel will do wonders. Mind you don't buff it 'til hot.
I'm unqualified to comment on ultra-sonic cleaners. Perhaps others could advise.
Not shave with them? My lord, are you serious? You should shave with each and every one of them! Who knows, but you might find your new favourite razor amongst them.

Thank you for your reply, I just might try and shave with them, that is after I watch a tutorial on youtube on how to use this type of razor. I don't want to cut myself, these old school razors actually look dangerous to use if you don't know what you are doing I think.

Hmm.
I would (personally) go back to the church and see if the old owner knew what he had tbh. Not that i would give it back, but its just too good to be true and i wonder if some poor sod is wondering where his missus threw out the box of stuff he was keeping safe!

There was only tables of stuff that were donated to the church, there were no original owners of the items there. Only grandmother volunteers indicating the price of the stuff as you walked out of the building. I wish I had bought the whole box of 30 I guess for $20.00 :(

Holy Moly! - pun intended.
Wow only $6 bucks - the lord was looking down on you that day, congratulations on a great collection and score!
Now I go to church every Sunday and holy days of obligation and that has never happened to me, never and not even one Toggle by it's self. Maybe I need to go to church more.....

Holy Moly! - pun intended.
Wow only $6 bucks - the lord was looking down on you that day, congratulations on a great collection and score!
Now I go to church every Sunday and holy days of obligation and that has never happened to me, never and not even one Toggle by it's self. Maybe I need to go to church more.....
It looks like your shark avatar is also bemoaning the missed opportunity!

Last edited:
Top Bottom