What's new

How to properly clean old razors

I bought a box of old razors for $ 6.00 dollars ( $ 1.00 each ) at a Church Rummage Sale ( photo attached ), and wanted to know how to correctly clean the razors without damaging them. I just gave them a basic clean with hand soap, but thinking about using an ultrasonic cleaner. Do you think that the Gold paint will come off the Gold two gold razors ? I don't plan to shave with these, just maybe use them for an Art project, but don't want to destroy the finish of them. Thanks for your help.

IMG_2058.jpg

I bought a box of old razors for $ 6.00 dollars ( $ 1.00 each ) at a Church Rummage Sale ( photo attached ), and wanted to know how to correctly clean the razors without damaging them. I just gave them a basic clean with hand soap, but thinking about using an ultrasonic cleaner. Do you think that the Gold paint will come off the Gold two gold razors ? I don't plan to shave with these, just maybe use them for an Art project, but don't want to destroy the finish of them. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 985537
My god! did you get a great deal. The Toggle alone is worth 50 times what you paid for the lot!
A long soak in warm water, with Dawn, or any other washing up liquid is a good start, followed by a meticulous scrub with a soft tooth-brush. Avoid scrubbing painted surfaces. Some would advise following up with a mild silver polish, but I should be wary of any abrasives, if I were you. Afterwards, a polishing cloth or woollen buffing wheel will do wonders. Mind you don't buff it 'til hot.
I'm unqualified to comment on ultra-sonic cleaners. Perhaps others could advise.
Not shave with them? My lord, are you serious? You should shave with each and every one of them! Who knows, but you might find your new favourite razor amongst them.

Ultrasonic cleaners may take off the painted numbers and the gold tone on the razors. I would not use them on those razors but on the others, it would be fine.

You did well!!!

Welcome.

From left to right:
Slim, Toggle, Rocket HD, Super adjustable, Aristocrat, Fatboy.

Excellent deal, wow. Great collection!

I agree with dishwashing liquid soap + soft tooth brush. Can give the nickel plated razors a good scrub but careful with the gold.

Some recommend scrubbing bubbles but the ultra sonic cleaner does a fine job as well for nickel.

Why not shave with them :thumbup1:

My goodness you scored well! A lot of guys here, myself included, would give their left you know what to pay $6 for that lot of razors together!
They all look pretty clean from your picture, so a soak in warm water with dish soap, then a scrub with a toothbrush ought to clean them to usability. As stated by ackvil, a ultrasonic cleaner will take the numbers off of the adjustable razors. The other will be fine so long as you use dish soap and water, no harsh chemicals.

What a great find. Almost on a par with the famous bucket of razors.

+4 on the dish soap and warm water. Don't soak the gold plated razors for too long, because it can damage the finish.

Dear Lord I would give anything to have those razors let alone what you paid for them. Please don't use them for an art project. Shave with them use them sell them.

Great Score.

Worth
Slim: $30
Toggle $150
Rocket $25
BB $40
Aristocrat $75
Fat Boy $50

Total $350-$400

Looks like somebody's collection. I wonder if this is an old member of B&B who has passed away or somebody got caught opening the wrong drawers and a scorned woman is having her revenge!

Last edited:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Toggle is one of the best shaving razors that I have ever used.
Dawn dish soap is what I use with hot hot hot water not boiling water but hot.
Let them soak until the water cools down and then do it again.
A old tooth brush and they should be fine.
The soak will loosen up the gunk inside the razors.

Too bad no open comb Aristocrats. I'd get some hot water, Dawn, and a soft bristle tooth brush. Let them soak a while then brush. Honestly, I wouldn't do much given their current condition.

Score!! SCORE!! (Wonderful collection!!) :a29:

Great advice above! (Dawn and warm water should do the job.)

WOW!!! What an addition to your collection in one buy.

I agree with others, soak in hot not boiling water & Dawn or a dishwashing soap then scrub with a soft old toothbrush or brush. Soak again if needed. I use an ultrasonic cleaner on the nickel razors but would be leery of using on the gold or black handled ones. I did use ultrasonic cleaner on my 109, but didn't leave it in long as was very clean. Polishing cloths work well and possibly a Maas polish or other gentle metal polish on the nickel ones.

Hmm.
I would (personally) go back to the church and see if the old owner knew what he had tbh. Not that i would give it back, but its just too good to be true and i wonder if some poor sod is wondering where his missus threw out the box of stuff he was keeping safe!

View attachment 985537
I’ll give you $7 for the lot! We both win!

This was definitely someone's collection. The Fatboy looks to have been replated. My guess like Atinofpeas suggested above may have passed away. A steal at $6 either way, congrats.

Top Bottom