What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

Something that is alot easier is to go down to your local charity shop and buy a money box that someone has donated. All the charity shops around me have at least a couple to choose from. They make very good blade banks.

Something that is alot easier is to go down to your local charity shop and buy a money box that someone has donated. All the charity shops around me have at least a couple to choose from. They make very good blade banks.

+1

I actually went down to the local dollar store and to my local Ben Franklin five & dime (yes they still exist) and purchased a piggy bank
proxy.php

(or whatever animal they have on sale) for less than $1. It has a rubber opening on the bottom, recycle the steel when full.
Cheap, easier and safer than cutting open a can, plus environmentally friendly.
proxy.php

John

Last edited:
I picked up an "85 year anniversary" Band-aid flip-top tin today. Pictures below... I was shocked to even find it as getting Band-aids in a tin these days is rare... at least around here anyway.

It's a rather large tin measuring 4" tall by 2 5/8" wide x 2 3/4" side. As I needed bandages to restock the home first aid kit, I killed two birds with one stone via this purchase, which btw cost me $2.29 + 7% tax.

I haven't decided on whether to leave it as is in terms of graphics/artwork or go on and make a label for it. I know I will be super gluing the flip-top lid shut and using my Dremel tool to cut a slit in either the lid on top or one of the sides for depositing blades into it. I'll follow-up accordingly.

Ahh well phooey! :cursing:

I see that my Band-aid tin blade bank idea has already been done.. a long time ago by The J.B. Williams Company, aka original Williams Shaving Cream and Aqua Velva company. Such a tin is currently up for auction on the Bay (and nope, I'm not going to link to it, but I will show you pics of it...)

Oh well. At least now I know it's a good idea. Has to be if they did it wayyyyy back when.. :w00t:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I picked up an "85 year anniversary" Band-aid flip-top tin today. Pictures below... I was shocked to even find it as getting Band-aids in a tin these days is rare... at least around here anyway.

It's a rather large tin measuring 4" tall by 2 5/8" wide x 2 3/4" side. As I needed bandages to restock the home first aid kit, I killed two birds with one stone via this purchase, which btw cost me $2.29 + 7% tax.

I haven't decided on whether to leave it as is in terms of graphics/artwork or go on and make a label for it. I know I will be super gluing the flip-top lid shut and using my Dremel tool to cut a slit in either the lid on top or one of the sides for depositing blades into it. I'll follow-up accordingly.

Great looking tin, love the vintage look.

However, it could be a bad idea to have blades stored in a Band-Aid tin...just a psychological thing...expect some more cuts in your future! :laugh:

Great looking tin, love the vintage look.

However, it could be a bad idea to have blades stored in a Band-Aid tin...just a psychological thing...expect some more cuts in your future! :laugh:

Don't jinx me! Knock on wood, I haven't had the first nick or cut since I started wet shaving! :lol:

Well, this isn't under 50 cents but cool none the less... Got it for $8.94 on eBay <strike>which isn't really bad considering it will hold tons of DE blades</strike>.

I'm going to take a Dremel tool to the top of the box on this truck. It'll make a nice, sizable blade bank and look cool sitting on the shelf next to my razors....

proxy.php

Last edited:
1:64 is small (Matchbox/Hot Wheels scale). Don't think it will hold many.

Cool idea though, really.

Do you have a way to empty it when it is full or will you just seal it up (or toss it)?

1:64 is small (Matchbox/Hot Wheels scale). Don't think it will hold many.

Cool idea though, really.

Do you have a way to empty it when it is full or will you just seal it up (or toss it)?

Matchbox size you say? Hrmm. I thought 1:43 was Matchbox size. Well that's not cool at all. Looks much bigger in the photo. Obviously I don't know what 1:64 scale means. Oh well, that small, it'll fit even better on the shelf displayed next to a NOS Gem Clog-pruf SE I bought for display.

If I were to use it as a blade bank, if it were big enough, and when it was full, yes, I'd just seal up the blade slot with something, maybe an epoxy or just a line of plastic from a hot glue gun and then just leave it on the shelf for display. I thought it was much bigger though and I'd be using it as a blade-bank for several years. So much for that.

Last edited:
No, 1:43 is a car about 4 inches long. Notice I said CAR.

This truck will be slightly larger than a Matchbox, but only because the real truck is larger than a car. Still the same scale, but will probably be between 3 and 4 inches long.

The larger the second number, the smaller the car.

1:24 and 1:25 are model cars.
1:64 is toy cars, meaning it would take 64 of them lined up to equal the length of the real vehicle.

Still a cool truck! Definitely a great display piece, but to use a a blade bank wouldn't last long.

My medicine cabinet has a slot in it, I just drop the blades there, they go into the wall and are gone.

...at least until someone renovates.

I really like the soup can blank idea, I will definitely use if/when I move and don't have the slotted meds cabinet.

I wouldn't super glue the lids...I would JB Weld them. :D I have young kids that love to get into stuff. I personally just bought some of the $1 banks from WCS. Easy on the wallet and eyes.

Top Bottom