What's new

how to lather without splaying/swirls

so i just got a Simpsons chubby 2 in best badger and in the box there was this little instructions and care paper that stated i should lather with painting motion, no swirls and definitely no pressure/mashing/splaying the brush, so i tried painting on the lather but i got a very thin layer of cream that was slick but it did not feel right

so i am asking you guys how do i get a good lather without mashing the brush, dont tell me to just mash it and that wont cause damage to the brush i already ruined a silvertip muhle doing that it shed like crazy and the hairs were breaking off and it developed that hole in the middle so i had to get rid of it

any tips ? perhaps a lathering bowl that is internally ridged ?

It works.
A damp more dry than wet brush
Light linear strokes or Xs on the soap
You’re loading the tips
Add a few drops of water as you go
When the tips are loaded take it to your bowl or face.
You may add more water as needed.
This works well with my Colonel x2L and my Omega 10066.

It works.
A damp more dry than wet brush
Light linear strokes or Xs on the soap
You’re loading the tips
Add a few drops of water as you go
When the tips are loaded take it to your bowl or face.
You may add more water as needed.
This works well with my Colonel x2L and my Omega 10066.
loading the brush isnt the problem, making a good lather is

Reactions: GMM
Ignore the paper and splay away, though not too forcefully . You’ve spent a good chunk of change on those glorious bristles and you’ll only get your money’s worth if you press and swirl them into your chin and cheeks. Even Simpsons has admitted that this is okay as long as you’re not overly aggressive about it.

I only started face lathering a couple of weeks ago but what I felt was:

There is a point where most of the hair moves outward like when you mash it into the bottom of a bowl --> too much force?

Before that point is reached the hair feels like plumping a down pillow (slightly compressed and not splayed outward) and this feels great on the face and gives me a good lather - so I guess this is the optimum amount of force.

Once the amount and quality of the lather is right I still paint/distribute it around my face but that bit of splaying before gets the lather really going.

Ignore the paper and splay away, though not too forcefully . You’ve spent a good chunk of change on those glorious bristles and you’ll only get your money’s worth if you press and swirl them into your chin and cheeks. Even Simpsons has admitted that this is okay as long as you’re not overly aggressive about it.
This. I have over a dozen Simpsons and splay/mash them all on hard soaps and my face. I don’t overdo it, but that’s how I lather.

Some advise a linear back and forth motion in the lathering bowl instead of circles or pumping.
I know Dutch just watch
I have to say I never bother just circle away but do not forcefully splay and I prefer synthetic anyhow.

I have been using a circular motion loading the brush an applying to my face since I began shaving more than 55 years ago. I have a few Simpson brushes and treat them the same as I do any other brush. However, I load the brush gently - not mashing the brush into the soap. If I am bowl lathering I use a gentle circular as well as painting motion. When I apply the lather on my face I again use a gentle circular motion and finish it off by a painting motion. However, I do not mash the brush or use excessive splay. Neither my Duke 3 or Chubby have had any problems.

I wouldn't go by those instructions that came with the brush. I had the same concern when I got my first Simpson, but I load mine with a circular motion with slight downward pressure, but not enough to get a full splay going. This seems to work, and hair loss is minimal.

I’ve personally found that bowl lathering with a relatively wet brush works really well for me when using creams. I don’t swirl the brush in circles when making the lather or when I apply it and I never mash it. If I don’t use the right amount of water and cream, I won’t get the amount of lather that I need for several passes and the lather will dry out on my face too quickly. This works best for me.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Personally, I'm not going to tip toe around a brush. :c2: Yeah I don't mash it, but I treat my Chubby 2 just like I would a boar or synthetic or whatever. Maybe it'll explode one day, idk.
+1 for swirl it, splay it and paint it. I treat my Duke 3 with love but not kitten gloves.

I wouldn't stop loading the brush with swirls, just be careful with the amount of torque you apply.

Some soaps will grab a hold of your brush while loading, especially very hard / dry soaps combined with ambitious pressure. The added torque might cause shedding /damage.

There should be no risk adding torque while the brush is on your face or in a bowl. Unless you have a really grabby face.

Top Bottom