What's new

how to lather without splaying/swirls

I've probably had 25 brushes. I currently have 9 and mostly use my 5-6 badgers over $100. I face lather and always overload my brushes (soap is cheap). 1st and 2nd pass are always swirls. After that I paint for touchups. When I'm done, probably as much lather gets rinsed from the brush and down the drain as I've used. If not, I didn't load the brush enough. My face - my choice. Your face - your choice.

Last edited:
Look at it like another iconic British* luxury item: the Aston Martin. Yes, you might maximize the longevity of your elegant, capable sports coupe by not rev'ing it over 4,000 RPM, never braking late and hard going into a corner, and abiding all posted speed limits. But you're also never going to experience all that it can do for you.

So treat it with respect, but don't be afraid to push it a little. Don't just use it like a paintbrush. And unlike with the A. M., even in the unlikely event that things go wrong, you'll be able to walk away unscathed.

I can't say what happened to your Muhle. But I splay and swirl all of my brushes, including my 8 Simpsons, the oldest of which was purchased a dozen years ago. None are showing any sign of the slightest decline, let alone failure.

*Now that Simpsons has taken up residence on the Isle of Man, is it incorrect to refer to them as British? Is "Manx" the only correct geographical designation?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you follow the paper's instruction, the one brush will last longer.

🤔 I mash and splay anyways. I've got several, so the wear is spread out. If I don't get 30 years out of each, I'll still be happy.

AA

i‘ve always wondered about that too. I have been mashing and swirling for many years and have yet to wear a brush out. Assuming that the operation is not extremely aggressive, then drying the knot between uses is probably more important.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You can just use painting strokes and eventually you'll get a fine lather, but I wouldn't bother.

Splay most certainly does not mean the same a mash. Just use enough pressure so the tips open a bit. If the handle is close to your face you're going too he-man. It doesn't take much pressure to splay the tips, and mashing doesn't make it work any faster.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I swirl and "back and forth" it when making lather, and swirl on face. I don't mash, askde from natural push when swirling? Personally.. I guess my attitude is yes, they can be pricey, but ultimately we can't take them with us when we cross over, so use them as you wish.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Back and forward or round in circles in many years of lathering it hasn't made that much difference to me. Load well, not too much water and when adding water do so slowly. The rest takes care of itself.

Top Bottom