What's new

How to heal faster between shaves so I can shave more often?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just sped-read the entire thread to see if I missed it.....Maybe I missed it again... The razor you found that gets you the shave you want but leaves your skin in need of repair... Which one is it?

I would bet someone here uses that exact razor and might be able to suggest a good blade match to optimize it. Just a suggestion. I know that might open up a whole new discussion you are trying to avoid. If that is so... never mind. It's only a thought.

Soaps matter a lot to me, personally. It turns out, I'm allergic to the ingredients used to add scent to shaving soaps, croaps and cremes. This from a dermatologist I saw after my face started breaking out in red bumps... and one soap that left my face looking like I'd spent 8 hours in the Florida sun... That burn didn't heal up for 3 full weeks... I now use unscented soaps. That has made a major difference. I do miss the wonderful scents available, but my skin thanks me after every shave.

I know the carnivore diet is all the rage lately... I've been on something similar for the last 2 and a half years now... I'm almost down to my target weight... from 253 to 169.2 pounds this morning... I'm 6'1/2", for a reference point. Moving around at 253 was a struggle, as you can imagine. I have a lot more energy as one would expect and my general health has improved as well.

I haven't felt the need to do the most radical of the carnivore diets as I don't consider myself on a diet.... It's been a lifestyle change I'll continue for the rest of my life. I wanted a lasting change.... A choice... eat the comfort foods that were foundational during my youth and that I still love/crave... or being a thin, old man who is thin by choice, not illness.

I've run into a similar problem with my new Yaqi Ultima. Weepers and a nick my first go. Took the next day off, then the next time I reopened the same weepers and the nick.

Tomorrow would be time for a shave, but I will skip it to give my skin an additional day of recovery. The Ultima is perhaps the most "dangerous" razor I've tried since the Pearl Cadet OC from 9 years ago. The Futur and Timeless Bronze are pussycats compared to this thing.

But the heft, balance, and handling of the Ultima is so nice I refuse to concede. My first try was an Israeli Personna. Second, a Chinese Suneko. Perhaps I'll try a Derby Premium next. And at a 3 or 2 setting.

I've run into a similar problem with my new Yaqi Ultima. Weepers and a nick my first go. Took the next day off, then the next time I reopened the same weepers and the nick.

Tomorrow would be time for a shave, but I will skip it to give my skin an additional day of recovery. The Ultima is perhaps the most "dangerous" razor I've tried since the Pearl Cadet OC from 9 years ago. The Futur and Timeless Bronze are pussycats compared to this thing.

But the heft, balance, and handling of the Ultima is so nice I refuse to concede. My first try was an Israeli Personna. Second, a Chinese Suneko. Perhaps I'll try a Derby Premium next. And at a 3 or 2 setting.

Hmmm, interesting dilemma. Go sharper or milder on the blade?

Just out of curiosity: does using lots of product really make a difference in lather quality? I’ve been doing lots of lather tests and found that most soaps can make great lather with 1.5 grams (two/three passes) with the exception of Zingari Man, which requires 2-2.5 grams and Cella, which works great even with 1 gram.
It really depends on the soap, brush and how much lather you need.

I use badger brushes, so loading quantity will be on the high side. Sometimes I even use big knots, so trying to be economical doesn’t make sense.

My point is, I don’t load following a specific target in grams (0.5 or 1 gram) as some do, I just load how much it is necessary. If with some soaps I need to load 1.5, 2 grams or even more, then so be it.

Please note the title of the thread: How to heal faster between shaves so I can shave more often?
See my post (#14) and all the other ones. Perhaps I simply don't understand what you're looking for.

Imo, healing faster between shaves, mostly has to do with how you shave when you shave.

If I butcher my face with a straight razor, it will obviously take longer for my face to heal "between shaves" compared to using a DE razor that I'm familiar with. It is that in combination with the food you eat.

There has been a great deal of great advice from experienced shavers given here and I have learned some new perspectives.

To take a different tack, what about adding a second face conditioning routine?
Using a face cleanser (not soap), Witch Hazel, and moisturizer in the evening (when I shave in the morning) helps soothe and protect the skin overnight. A good moisturizer provides a layer of extra protection to the skin and seems to improve healing.

It really depends on the soap, brush and how much lather you need.

I use badger brushes, so loading quantity will be on the high side. Sometimes I even use big knots, so trying to be economical doesn’t make sense.

My point is, I don’t load following a specific target in grams (0.5 or 1 gram) as some do, I just load how much it is necessary. If with some soaps I need to load 1.5, 2 grams or even more, then so be it.

Thanks. In my case, the truth is I’ve had difficulties loading “by sight or feel”. I know some guys load according to swirls, seconds, stickiness of the fibers, etc., but it doesn’t really work for me. So I use a scale and scoop from a tub, in the case or hard soaps I grate into a bowl and also weigh the amount. I start high (usually 3 grams for croaps/creams) and 1.5 for hard soaps, then I start reducing until I get the minimal needed for a good lather. I know it doesn’t sound like fun, but it allows me to get the same lather every time

PS: I only use synthetics and bowl lather exclusively because of skin issues

— For a while, I've been hitting my own hand with a hammer every Friday night, but I'd like to increase that frequency to twice a week. Doctor, what you recommend to help the pain in my hand go away faster, so it doesn't hurt anymore by the time I'm ready to hit it with a hammer again?

— Stop hitting yourself in the hand with a hammer!

— That's not an answer to the question I asked. If I wanted to stop hitting myself in the hand with a hammer, then I already would have.

Thanks. In my case, the truth is I’ve had difficulties loading “by sight or feel”.
Try palm lathering. You will be able to exactly feel the slickness of your lather by rubbing some between your thumb and fingers. When it's all good, transfer to face. No bowl or face lathering can beat this imho.

And bonus points for not having to deal with a bowl or possibly get brush rash from face lathering.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The OP/ @catchacoolbreeze isn't a novice. He's been "wet shaving" for 12 years now. I've only been at it for just over 2 years, so I hesitated adding any suggestions.

That's why I asked what razor he is using... and blade preferences. I would love more information so we could do our best to provide targeted advice. I think we have all tried to be a benefit to him along his journey, but I fear we haven't accomplished that at this point... though I could be in error.

Anyway, @catchacoolbreeze , I hope you figure it out. The Metrogel (nickname) my dermatologist prescribed helped eliminate a lot of my own skin issues due to psoriatic arthritis that was spilling over to my face. You might find value searching one out.

I did a google search to find out if there are any products available over-the-counter that are similar to Metrogel...This one pops up:

I'm not a dermatologist, obviously... so I'm not giving medical advice... You might benefit from doing your own research and see what turns up.. Metrogel is horribly expensive..... and does require an appointment with a dermatologist... That might be cost prohibitive for a lot of people.

I am not sure I am following the logic. I've already stated that I used to shave that way and I am looking to shave a different way.

Being that I have shaved that way for over 12 years, I have spent little time trying to optimize my post shave as I have had no need to do so because 2 passes every other day is not very hard on the face (at least not mine). Telling me to quit, before I even try doesn't seem helpful to me, especially after I have mentioned I what I am trying to achieve. If I followed the advice of those that told me not to go atg, I would have never achieved it - but I didn't and now I can go atg.

Ultimately, this thread is not even about me, its asking those people who have had similar experiences as me and asking them to share their solutions.
Maybe I missed it. What is your current post-shave regimen? Might be easier to advise you if we know what you're already doing.

I shave daily, 3.5 to 4 passes, and just use garden variety splashes, and also Nivea balm in the winter months. But all but the last half pass is done with a straight razor... if I was using DEs exclusively I would probably not tolerate that much blade time on my skin.

It’s sad to see how this used to be a gentlemanly place to be and now it’s just a copy of the garbage that exists everywhere else in the world. A small loud few continue to try to ruin it for everyone.

The reiteration of the same point over and over when evidence exists (in this thread no less) that contradicts your opinion is stupid. Analogies that have elementary level false equivalence fallacies and seemingly funny quips that try to force your opinion others are a waste of time.

If you never achieved what I am asking – that’s perfectly OK, but extra bravado doesn’t make you better than you really are. This thread is about people who have been-there-done-that. I’m looking for their stories, not your story. I would appreciate it if we try to keep the thread on topic. Thanks to everyone that have positively contributed so far - it great to hear!

Maybe I missed it. What is your current post-shave regimen? Might be easier to advise you if we know what you're already doing.

I shave daily, 3.5 to 4 passes, and just use garden variety splashes, and also Nivea balm in the winter months. But all but the last half pass is done with a straight razor... if I was using DEs exclusively I would probably not tolerate that much blade time on my skin.
I appreciate your data point. I've actually head the theory that machine made DE blades might be harsher on the skin than straight razors that are honed on stones like Jnats or Arks. Despite DE blades "comfort" coatings, I wonder if the bite they have is similar to an edge from diamond pasted balsa, pastes, or synthetic finishers. I've read that users of straights and shavettes, believe that there is simply no comparison.

The OP/ @catchacoolbreeze isn't a novice. He's been "wet shaving" for 12 years now. I've only been at it for just over 2 years, so I hesitated adding any suggestions.

That's why I asked what razor he is using... and blade preferences. I would love more information so we could do our best to provide targeted advice. I think we have all tried to be a benefit to him along his journey, but I fear we haven't accomplished that at this point... though I could be in error.

Anyway, @catchacoolbreeze , I hope you figure it out. The Metrogel (nickname) my dermatologist prescribed helped eliminate a lot of my own skin issues due to psoriatic arthritis that was spilling over to my face. You might find value searching one out.

I did a google search to find out if there are any products available over-the-counter that are similar to Metrogel...This one pops up:

I'm not a dermatologist, obviously... so I'm not giving medical advice... You might benefit from doing your own research and see what turns up.. Metrogel is horribly expensive..... and does require an appointment with a dermatologist... That might be cost prohibitive for a lot of people.
This looks like a great rec - thanks!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Edit: oops, I realized I replied to the wrong comment. I meant to reply to the other one about being gentlemanly.

I told myself that I wasn’t going to reply anymore to this thread, but yet here I am again because I wanted to respond to this comment. I can’t speak for anyone else’s motives to their replies, but I can say that I tried to be respectful during our differences of opinion. Others may have grown frustrated with the appearance that you would not accept their advice.

This is my last attempt to explain how you can’t get your post-shave skin to heal faster. Your skin has many layers. On average, your body will completely renew all the skin layers over 28 days. This is normal body maintenance. New skin cells are generated through cell division of stem cells. When you shave, you are removing the top skin layers. Your body will replace new skin cells from the bottom, pushing other skin cells up. This is the only way to recover after shaving—grow new cells. There is literally nothing you can do to speed up your body’s natural rate of skin cell division. Things can slow it down, like infection and poor nutrition, but you can’t use a super lotion or eat a magic food to make it go faster. In fact, if cell division becomes too fast, this may be cancer or a precursor to it.

Post-shave routines matter. They can prevent infection, lower inflammation, and mask symptoms, but they don’t make new skin cells or make skin cells divide faster. Poor post-shave can slow it down if you increase inflammation and do not prevent infection.

That’s how this works. The only way to heal faster is to do less damage to start with and remove fewer layers of skin. You must change something about your shave routine because there isn’t a magic product.

However, if you absolutely insist on shaving the same and want an occasionally used product that makes you feel better in between shaves and masks the irritation, you could try hydrocortisone cream. Take caution that it may have side effects and should not be used long term unless directed by a doctor or dermatologist because it may cause skin atrophy (thinning).

Last edited:
I appreciate your data point. I've actually head the theory that machine made DE blades might be harsher on the skin than straight razors that are honed on stones like Jnats or Arks. Despite DE blades "comfort" coatings, I wonder if the bite they have is similar to an edge from diamond pasted balsa, pastes, or synthetic finishers. I've read that users of straights and shavettes, believe that there is simply no comparison.
Maybe. Probably. I think it's a discussion for a different thread though.

Still wondering what your postshave regimen is, currently.

Top Bottom