What's new

How to heal faster between shaves so I can shave more often?

I’ve increased both my passes (from 2 to 3) and my shave frequency (from every 2 to 3 days to almost daily). Unfortunately, I think this has resulted in my face not healing as well as before and the in-shave blade feel is rougher and unpleasant compared to my previous frequency.

I was curious if any of you had a similar experience and what you did about it to heal better/faster? What methods or products objectively helped you in this regard?

Please note: a lot of these threads can turn into a de facto, “what is your favorite product?”. This is not that but I realize that the answers may be your favorite products now, which is great. I am specifically looking to hear what similar problems you had to mine and how you fixed them. Thank you!

I think the obvious answer is, "do less damage." So, if you want to shave daily, consider dropping a pass, at least temporarily, and maybe think about your hardware choices and how those are impacting your skin. A once a week shaver will need (and tolerate) a different level of aggression than a daily shaver, all else being equal.

if you are having issues maybe it is because your blades are wrong for your face or your razor is too aggressive and is about the items.

yeah some of the razors tore me up changed razors
some blades tore me up changed blades
noticed some soaps do WAY better tried and changed soaps

so maybe it is your items or product?
without history, it is hard to say have you been doing this for years and all of a sudden or quite new to this? Have you tried other razors and blades or just the one you have?

I could not recommend what products this is IMHO trial and error some without sensitive skin seem to be able to shave with a garden tool and be happy :) so they can truly use any razor
some of us with sensitive skin truly have to fine-tune the items used

I could Not shave daily with a Wolfman 1.15 even for me now if I was doing it every 2-s I might never have noticed is the main reason I am saying this If you want to shave daily very well could be more mild razor is needed :)

best of luck for sure

Are you shaving ATG?
I don't and that's why I shave daily!
2 passes WTG/XTG, alum block after the shave for 30 seconds then rinse and then Nivea Sensitive
after shave lotion (excellent stuff).
No irritation post shave and my face is always ready for the next day's shave.
And I've got semi-sensitive skin!
That's my routine and it works well for me!

I really like HA Serum (Hyaluronic Acid) and Emu Oil. I apply the HA serum after the shave and once it soaks in I rub a tiny amount of Emu oil on.
1716230178250.png
1716230214139.png

The HA serum is rather expensive - but it's incredibly cheap to buy the bulk powder and mix your own. I buy the HA powder and mix it with Aloe Vera juice and make just enough to last a few weeks so I don't have to add a preservative and I have not had any problems with it (no mildew or mold).

I bought this bag for about $25 and it'll last several lifetimes as you only need about 1/8 teaspoon of the powder to mix up 2oz of serum.

1716229994493.png

And I bought some amber eyedropper bottles to make the mixture in -- or just wash and reuse the HA Serum bottle if you buy the ready made serum first.
1716230075406.png

And some Aloe Vera Juice - or you can use plain water - but with the Aloe Juice it is really nice.
1716230129173.png

1. Don't do three passes.

2. Spend an hour or two sometime perfecting your lathering skills. Whip up some lather, rub it between your fingers. Add a couple of drops of water. Pay attention to the sound, feel, and look of the soap as you lather it further. Rub it between your fingers. Add a couple of drops of water. Keep going like this until you feel the lather get 'blown out'—that is, until it goes past the point of protecting your skin. If you use more than one soap, then do this with each one, because each one is different. This process is not waste of time or product: it's a miniscule expense in pursuit of better shaves.

3. When choosing a blade, lean more toward 'sharp and consistent' than 'safe and comfortable'. A sharper blade is more likely to nick you, yes, but it tends to make for fewer passes/strokes to achieve the same result. I'm a Gillette Nacet fanboy, but simply use whichever of your favorites is sharpest. Then, PAY ATTENTION at all times during the shave. Pressure, angle, how your skin feels. This is more important with sharper blades.

4. If you feel like you may have gotten *too* close in an area, then STOP. Do not shave that same area again after that point. It doesn't matter if you can still feel some itty-bitty hairs there.

5. If you feel tugging, then it might be either your blade or your lather. Do yourself a favor, and don't try to grimace your way through it. Bin the blade, dump out the lather, and start over.

6. Don't do three passes.

I recommend resetting at least one of those two variables. Either go back down to two passes while you shave daily or maintain the three passes and shave every other day. Or do both. Eventually your skin might be able to tolerate three passes daily, but it's pretty tough on the skin.

If that's where you want to go, start adding a pass (or a day of shaving) every so often and increase that frequency until you're doing three passes daily. For example, if you decide to do two passes daily, add a third pass once a week, then twice a week, etc. Or if you want to do three passes every other day, start adding a two-pass shave in between those three-passers once a week and build up.

Three passes is a lot time with a blade on your skin so you'll really have to build up to it if that's your goal.

Thanks for posting about this, @catchacoolbreeze. Shane (@Blackland Razors) above offers wise guidance, but I'll add a bit more. I'm a 7-day-a-week shaver (wet shaving maybe 18 years), and contrary to most conventional B&B wisdom, I pretty much seek a BBS shave every time. Sensitive skin, think hair, addicted to a glass-smooth, 4-pass shave ... I know, I know ... unwise, but here we are.

After all this time, I still can't say that chasing a BBS 7 days a week is a good idea. But I've got that dragon by the tail all the same and after lots of effort and trial-and-error, I now really enjoy both my shaves and my postshave feel. I do manage to end up with very, very close shaves and pretty comfortable skin most days. Here's what I found has helped:

1. Moisturizer - preshave. I tend to put on a bit of Eucerin Original ahead of a shave. Sometimes use Grooming Dept. preshave, instead.

2. Moisturizer - during the shave. There are lots of great soaps out there, but I tend toward those with peak moisturizing quality (Declaration Grooming, Lothur, and Ariana & Evans Ultima are great for me - YMMV).

3. Moisturizer - postshave. For me, prep for my next shave really does start as soon as the last shave is done. Lots of ice cold water and a good moisturizing postshave (I like sunscreen in mine) has been key. I tend toward Jack Black Double Duty - my best substitute for Neutrogena Triple Protect once that product was discontinued.

4. Change up your equipment day to day. For me, using the same razor day after day causes more damage than changing up razors, or even just rotating a couple. (NB: my only exception to this is the Blackland Blackbird loaded with a GSB, which I seem to be able to use day after day with impunity). My current rotation is to alternate between SR shaves and DE shaves, one day to the next. That seems to work for me, for now.

5. Take your time with face prep and lather prep. Don't rush the prep.

6. Though I don't always follow through with these last two, I do find that a face wash before bed (and another excuse to apply a light moisturizer - CeraVe PM is great stuff) and drinking plenty of water during the day seems to help, too.

Looking at what I've written above, I feel a little like an addict giving advice about chasing the next hit. All told, it's probably best to avoid super close shaves day after day, or to follow the wisdom of saner voices advising you toward fewer passes or fewer shaves. But if ATG and BBS are your jam, these are some of the things that have helped me cheat the system and enjoy myself a lot in the process.

Thanks for the replies so far. Just so people aren't wasting their time...The sub-forum and OP indicate that I'm seeing if a post-shave solution exists to my current dilemma. I could go back to my previous routine but I've been shaving that way for almost 12 years (joined forum in 2012) and not interested to go back at this time. I want to see if others have had my problem and what their solution is. I sorry if the original post was misleading.

I finally found a razor where I can get BBS and I want to see if I can optimize the post-shave healing process to achieve that more often. I think it is worth a shot to try. If not, I can revert back. Thanks again.

Excellent advice above.

I've tried a wide variety of products. What I've found to work best, when needed, is after the shave is finished, rinse with cool, not cold, water. If there is any blood or discomfort wipe an alum block on the wet face, then rinse after 30 seconds (if no pain or discomfort I skip the alum block). Then pat the face dry with a good quality towel. Then apply Speick aftershave. Then after a few minutes apply Stirling after-shave balm in your choice of scented or unscented and with or without menthol.

Using the above procedures after a "bad shave" usually trying out a new razor, I have shaved the next day (24 hours) with one of my "good razors" and not re-opened any wounds or felt any discomfort. Because I know someone will ask, my "good razors" are the La Faulx Classic, the Overlander, and the Athena.

I shave pretty much every day as I am a 6-day per week shaver. I shave full 3-pass shaves every time. I usually get very close shaves if I do my part. You have to find the right razor to do this with. What I mean is I get accumulating irritation with some of the razors I have during the week. Those would be hard to go 7-days every day every week with.

I personally find that I have more problems with the milder razors then the medium aggressive razors. Now too aggressive is no go as well, but you need something that is efficient. Milder razors takes too much buffing and polishing to get to the shave I desire and will more easily cause me irritation on back to back to back shaves. The right razor I think is key and you might even have to limit yourself which razors you use. Sometimes I start the week with a milder razor and then switch to a more efficient one and that seems to help as well. Also, if I start having irritation building I go to a more efficient razor. It seems counterintuitive, but that is what works for me.

For me I use the same blade the entire week and I do fine with that, but you will have to find out what works there as well. For me a medium sharp, but comfortable blade works best.

I think also like some other posts above has mentioned, you kind of have to work up to it as well, just like we did when we started DE shaving. It takes a bit for the skin to get used to the new shave routine.

All great advice. My suggestions would be:

1. Shave daily. Your skin will 'toughen up' over time and will 'accept' it. You basically have to 'train' your skin. Continue even if you've had a bad shave the day before.

2. Use a really sharp blade. My personal choice would be a BIC.

3. Don't overdo your face lathering if that is what you do. Create your lather off your face in a bowl or your palm and then use a few painting strokes to apply it. Max. brush-to-face-time should be 20 seconds or so. Brush rash is a real thing.

4. No multiple passes please. A good single pass is fine for a daily shave.

5. Use a 'bullfrogging' technique, especially on the neck.

6. Use cold water for the entire shave including the prep.

7. Don't buy any new gear (apart perhaps from sharper blades). It's not in the gear, it's all of the above combined.

Good luck!

@catchacoolbreeze If you decide to try mixing your own HA Serum as I described earlier ...be aware that the powder will immediately clump when it hits the liquid and no amount of stirring will de-clump it. The trick is don't try - just add the powder to the liquid and put the cap on and leave it alone for an hour - shaking once in awhile if you feel like it. It will eventually dissolve into the liquid. It takes very little powder to turn the liquid into a thick gel so start with the tiniest pinch and experiment until you find the thickness that works for you (somewhere between olive oil and pancake syrup).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hesitate to give advice as I only know what works for my skin and whisker removal, but here is my post-shave routine. I shave every other day or so... sometimes, I am lax and have 4 or 5 days of old man, grey, coarse and dense whisker growth.

1, After the shave is completed, I wash my face and apply some LEA Alum "deodorant".
2.Then I use a dermatologist prescribed Metro Gel.
3. I let that dry and then apply the Hyaluronic acid serum. I just bought it from Amazon. Mine came with a small bottle with an eye dropper and a larger 8-ounce container. I bought it in June of 2022 and I think there is around a 1/4 left. $19 and change.
4. I finish up with some Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel/Cream.... I'd been using that since March, 2022. They just changed the formula, unfortunately. I'm using up the last of the original formula and have replaced it with Neutrogena Hydro Boost Moisturizer "Night" Serum.

If I've had a very close shave, the Neutrogena seems to calm my skin down effectively. I've tried a few other balms and it's the best I've found, personally... as always: YMMV... but quite a few of us have been using Hydro Boost and had great results.

Thanks for the replies so far. Just so people aren't wasting their time...The sub-forum and OP indicate that I'm seeing if a post-shave solution exists to my current dilemma. I could go back to my previous routine but I've been shaving that way for almost 12 years (joined forum in 2012) and not interested to go back at this time. I want to see if others have had my problem and what their solution is. I sorry if the original post was misleading.

I finally found a razor where I can get BBS and I want to see if I can optimize the post-shave healing process to achieve that more often. I think it is worth a shot to try. If not, I can revert back. Thanks again.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Top Bottom