What's new

How to heal faster between shaves so I can shave more often?

I shave every day, maybe I skip one once a month. I also do 4 passes to get the bbs feel. For me, this would not be possible without:
- A good moisturizer. My skin is sensitive to commercial after shaves. I use glycerin which I dilute myself. I guess most people could do with just a good skin moisturizing cream. I don’t use any other products.
- A good razor or blade which has a good edge. I am a straight razor user, so things are easier for me, from my perspective. If I was using a DE blade, I would probably not use it more than once or twice, regardless of brand. Using a blade more than twice means the edge suffers a lot of damage. The steel is microscopically chipping and bending, which then doesn't cut as it should and also damages the skin. Likely we will also tend to apply more pressure or buff more, which again irritates the skin. There is a very good reason why straight razor users strop their razors between shaves.
- Lubricating lather. My lather is not a thick creamy paste like yoghurt, but more of a watery, almost dripping lather. This way, the skin stays wet the whole time. This offers the proper lubrication and the steel can glides over the skin, without ‘biting’. The moment the lather starts to dry out and tends to turns into a cream, I add water. I also load a lot of soap, I don’t use only 0.5 - 1 gram of soap as others do. Often I reload between passes, even if the brush still has lather. Is it wasteful? Yes, but soap is cheap and my skin is not.
- Good technique, mindful of angle, pressure, buffing, cutting direction and other things.
- Lastly, I only use cold water. I find that cold water calms my skin.
- Good prep. I rinse my face with water, then I start to prepare my things. This gives the hair time to soften up.
- I don’t use alum block.

Last edited:
... and I almost forgot: Thayers Toner (the Witch Hazel one). I use it once the shave is finished after a cold water rinse and before aftershave moisturizer. For me, it seems to cool down any remaining agitation and gets the skin ready for a healing moisturizer.

... and I almost forgot: Thayers Toner (the Witch Hazel one). I use it once the shave is finished after a cold water rinse and before aftershave moisturizer. For me, it seems to cool down any remaining agitation and gets the skin ready for a healing moisturizer.
I was actually looking at that the other day - are you using the cucumber one?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Please note the title of the thread: How to heal faster between shaves so I can shave more often?
I think the implication was to shave smarter and better so you wouldn’t need so much recovery, which is the best answer. Skin cells can only regenerate so quickly. Balms, lotions, etc., increase moisture and relieve symptoms, but don’t make new skin cells.

Many People have said to Nix a ATG pass, which is good. i would also say check if you need a less harsh aftershave. sometimes menthol and alcohol can aggravate your follicles too much and cause folliculitis in someone who otherwise wouldn't have it. just throwing my knowledge out.

I'll throw something out there ... though it's a strategy you have to be ready to take. Reduce total inflammation in your body by adopting a meat, salt, and water diet. Once your body catches up fixing many of its ailments, it'll begin to heal quicker. It's a long term strategy -- months to years. Also, practice grounding/earthing.

I think the implication was to shave smarter and better so you wouldn’t need so much recovery, which is the best answer. Skin cells can only regenerate so quickly. Balms, lotions, etc., increase moisture and relieve symptoms, but don’t make new skin cells.
I am not sure I am following the logic. I've already stated that I used to shave that way and I am looking to shave a different way.

Being that I have shaved that way for over 12 years, I have spent little time trying to optimize my post shave as I have had no need to do so because 2 passes every other day is not very hard on the face (at least not mine). Telling me to quit, before I even try doesn't seem helpful to me, especially after I have mentioned I what I am trying to achieve. If I followed the advice of those that told me not to go atg, I would have never achieved it - but I didn't and now I can go atg.

Ultimately, this thread is not even about me, its asking those people who have had similar experiences as me and asking them to share their solutions.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I am not sure I am following the logic. I've already stated that I used to shave that way and I am looking to shave a different way.

Being that I have shaved that way for over 12 years, I have spent little time trying to optimize my post shave as I have had no need to do so because 2 passes every other day is not very hard on the face (at least not mine). Telling me to quit, before I even try doesn't seem helpful to me, especially after I have mentioned I what I am trying to achieve. If I followed the advice of those that told me not to go atg, I would have never achieved it - but I didn't and now I can go atg.

Ultimately, this thread is not even about me, its asking those people who have had similar experiences as me and asking them to share their solutions.
No one is telling you to quit. The point is the only way to heal after shaving is to grow new skin cells to replace the ones that the blade removed. There is nothing you can do to make skin cells regenerate faster. You can mask the symptoms and even go as far as using hydrocortisone cream, but nothing but time can replace the skin cells. If you’re taking off too many skin cells each time, the only answer is to change the way you shave. That’s it. That’s the answer, even if it’s not the answer you’re looking for.

I also load a lot of soap, I don’t use only 0.5 - 1 gram of soap as others do. Often I reload between passes, even if the brush still has lather. Is it wasteful? Yes, but soap is cheap and my skin is not.
Just out of curiosity: does using lots of product really make a difference in lather quality? I’ve been doing lots of lather tests and found that most soaps can make great lather with 1.5 grams (two/three passes) with the exception of Zingari Man, which requires 2-2.5 grams and Cella, which works great even with 1 gram.

Your skin healing is affected not only by what you do externally but a lot by what you do internally. Reducing passes, moisturizing, cold water, these are all nice and true.

But if you eat a poor diet with lots of sugar, highly processed foods, alcohol, there is no balm in the world to take care of it.

Your skin is more dependent on what’s happening inside your gut than on the cream massaged over it.

I shave every day, maybe I skip one once a month. I also do 4 passes to get the bbs feel. For me, this would not be possible without:
- A good moisturizer. My skin is sensitive to commercial after shaves. I use glycerin which I dilute myself. I guess most people could do with just a good skin moisturizing cream. I don’t use any other products.
- A good razor or blade which has a good edge. I am a straight razor user, so things are easier for me, from my perspective. If I was using a DE blade, I would probably not use it more than once or twice, regardless of brand. Using a blade more than twice means the edge suffers a lot of damage. The steel is microscopically chipping and bending, which then doesn't cut as it should and also damages the skin. Likely we will also tend to apply more pressure or buff more, which again irritates the skin. There is a very good reason why straight razor users strop their razors between shaves.
- Lubricating lather. My lather is not a thick creamy paste like yoghurt, but more of a watery, almost dripping lather. This way, the skin stays wet the whole time. This offers the proper lubrication and the steel can glides over the skin, without ‘biting’. The moment the lather starts to dry out and tends to turns into a cream, I add water. I also load a lot of soap, I don’t use only 0.5 - 1 gram of soap as others do. Often I reload between passes, even if the brush still has lather. Is it wasteful? Yes, but soap is cheap and my skin is not.
- Good technique, mindful of angle, pressure, buffing, cutting direction and other things.
- Lastly, I only use cold water. I find that cold water calms my skin.
- Good prep. I rinse my face with water, then I start to prepare my things. This gives the hair time to soften up.
- I don’t use alum block.
I appreciate your reply.

I am also exploring this situation from a blade perspective as well, as I have tried many blades over the last couple months. That being said, I think you are on to something regarding straight razors. I recently saw studies and microscopic video of razor blades chipping at a microscopic level after hitting a hair. HOWEVER, I am also getting inconsistency with brand new blades that look like swiss cheese out of the wrapper. I'm still working on my honing skills and am not there yet but I hope one day (when I have more time), I will be able to go the straight razor route. I suspect a freshly honed and stropped blade will be objectively better than a mass produced machine blade but obviously, it is going to take some time and effort to get there.

Either way, optimizing my post shave routine will be beneficial whether I stick with DEs or got to all SR. Thanks again.

I'll throw something out there ... though it's a strategy you have to be ready to take. Reduce total inflammation in your body by adopting a meat, salt, and water diet. Once your body catches up fixing many of its ailments, it'll begin to heal quicker. It's a long term strategy -- months to years. Also, practice grounding/earthing.

Your skin healing is affected not only by what you do externally but a lot by what you do internally. Reducing passes, moisturizing, cold water, these are all nice and true.

But if you eat a poor diet with lots of sugar, highly processed foods, alcohol, there is no balm in the world to take care of it.

Your skin is more dependent on what’s happening inside your gut than on the cream massaged over it.

I just eat what my wife makes me. Any chance you can send me a quick link to reference what you all are speaking to?

A PM might be better so not to derail the thread. Its sounds interesting though!

No one is telling you to quit. The point is the only way to heal after shaving is to grow new skin cells to replace the ones that the blade removed. There is nothing you can do to make skin cells regenerate faster. You can mask the symptoms and even go as far as using hydrocortisone cream, but nothing but time can replace the skin cells. If you’re taking off too many skin cells each time, the only answer is to change the way you shave. That’s it. That’s the answer, even if it’s not the answer you’re looking for.
My experience with cuts and scrapes is that if I treat them somehow with moisturizer or ointment they do indeed heal faster. My memory could be off but I asked my wife and she also said the same thing. There seems to be a few people on the forum who also seem to think that post shave matters.

I don't know if what you are saying is true as I have not had time to research it. Maybe what I have experienced does not apply to this specific situation. Either way, I'm still interested in hearing what others have experienced to help them with this part of the process.

I just eat what my wife makes me. Any chance you can send me a quick link to reference what you all are speaking to?

A PM might be better so not to derail the thread. Its sounds interesting though!
What I'm referring to is a carnivore diet. The meat, salt, and water diet is often referred to as the "Lion Diet." It's the most restrictive version of the carnivore diet. And the most effective. Another version would be the beef, bacon, butter, and eggs diet (BBBE diet). My suggestion is to go on Youtube and look up the Carnivore diet. There are lots of videos covering it. One person that you should look up is Anthony Chaffee MD. I just found this video as a quick introduction: The Carnivore Diet: Why Does It Work So Well?

Grounding is something different. Here's a link to a documentary: Grounding - The Grounded Documentary Film about "Earthing."

Please note the title of the thread: How to heal faster between shaves so I can shave more often?

If I go onto a Jeep forum, tell people that I only change my oil once every 15,000 miles, and then ask for advice on how to prevent oil sludge, then I ought not be surprised when everyone answers by telling me to change my oil more frequently. Likewise, you shouldn't be surprised when people on a shaving enthusiast forum give you advice for how to avoid damaging your skin in the first place, even when the question you asked was how to treat it after the fact. If your skin needs 'healing', then you must be doing damage to it on a daily basis. Step 1 of any advice I might give is obviously going to be how to minimize that damage to begin with.

Having said that, cold water is still my best suggestion. Lather with cold water, shave with cold water, rinse with cold water. I've found that, while alum can feel good in the moment, it doesn't really do much to help heal the damage. I have a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm; it helps my skin feel better, but I'm not sure it actually helps my skin get better.

Top Bottom