What's new

A Few Good Men, Redux. $1.25 razor challenge…

Shave #2

Mid Day Shave - 06/12/24
Razor:
RazoRock Lupo Aluminum
Blade: Assured For Men Blade (1)
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Brush: RazoRock 400
Aftershave: Nivea Men Deep Comfort After Shave - Vanilla & Bourbon

Alright fellas, this one is a head scraper scratcher.

I loaded up my trusty Lupo Aluminum with a fresh AFM blade and kept the rest of my set up the same. I picked another lightweight razor hoping to rule out whether or not weight was of one of the factors.

I still didn’t love the blade but it was nowhere close to the same level of awfulness as I experienced when it paired with the AFM razor. The blade was still dull and felt like it was scraping rather than cutting at times, but overall it wasn’t a miserable experience. I have much better shaves with other blades in the Lupo, but I could tolerate this set up again if I needed to. I noticed again that the blade seems to feel better (or at least less worse) as the shave went on. I also noticed that the combo seems to leave more hairs behind than I’m used with other blades, but it was fine, especially compared to my previous shave with the AFM razor/blade combo. Results were another solid DFS after two WTG passes, this time with much more comfort.

Next test before getting back to the original challenge will be the AFM razor with a Perma-Sharp blade.

Attachments

• IMG_6233.jpeg
    IMG_6233.jpeg
    861.3 KB · Views: 6
6/12 Shave #7!!

Well, I made it!

Razor: AFM
Blade: Fresh AFM
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: Arko
Post shave: TN Dickson's Witch Hazel
A/S: Old Spice

I decided to go full econo shave mode today and used Arko soap. For those of you that are not familiar, Arko is a great Tallow soap made in some country. Arko is very affordable and works great! (This should at least get me an honorable mention in Arkoland). I used a fresh blade to finish out the tuck. I will say now that shave #1 and shave #7 were the worst shaves of the week. Did my usual WTG, ATG on the neck and cheeks but the ATG on the jaw line was a no go. Post shave, I noticed a patch of stubble on my chin but I had already binned the blade. I had an Astra SP with 2 shaves on it available so I loaded it in the AFM for some final buffing. What a difference! The Astra SP in the AFM was very smooth and knocked out the remaining stubble with ease. The finish was a DFS with help. I was surprised that for all the roughness, I was able to get mostly decent shaves with the AFM razor/blade combo with no irritation. The razor still looks like it did when I received it, no rust or any other defects.

Thanks again to Gus for funding this shindig, it was a lot of fun.

Final thoughts:
If I found my self away from home and needed a razor, I would look for a VDH with blades :) Seriously, I think with better blades, the AFM would be just fine. I plan to use the AFM a couple more times with an Astra SP just to see how it performs on a full shave.

If yours is still MIA this time next week, PM me. I can send you mine along with the 3 AFM blades I’m planning to have left.

Generous offer, thank you. (Seriously, mailing packages can be annoying.)

There is a chance that Assured shaving goods have appeared at a some dollar tree near me. I will check again. There are at least two within my radius of operations.

Morning Shave - 06/13/24
Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Assured For Men Blade (1)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman VIBR
Shave Comfort: 10/10 (Smooth)
Shave Quality: 9.5/10 (DFS++)
Shave Rating: 9.75/10
What a great shave with a new to me razor! The R41 certainly lives up to its reputation of being a very efficient razor. It also was a nice and smooth shave. I could tell that these blades are not quite up to the par with this razor, but still I was able to get a close and comfortable result.

Continuing to use up the remaining blades of the AFM tuck. This time the R41 gave me a great shave with it, but I can tell that this blade is not up to par for any long term use. A shave or two is probably all that it has in it. Only one blade left to use up then on to greener pastures.

Day Number SIX is done, believe it or not blade is got life to finish task, this little RAZOR is a Tech inspired light weight design.

My only complaints of significance is HANDLE could be fatter, thicker, or beefed for better grip. Also over all weight could be better so it felt less like a plastic throw away disposable.

Cannot say I ever got any supper shave with this lightweight by my low standard, using 9 as benchmark of GREAT SHAVE, because beard is not THICK, Swirly, or Hard to remove. Best Shave would be a good solid 6.5, that is not bad, a 5 is time for change of pace a pass two, that I seldom do.

Blade 2 Shave 3 ( Shave 6 overall )

I shaved again with the AFM head on the Pearl handle. The shave wasn't as good as yesterday's, so I'm beginning to see a pattern here that two shaves may be my limit with these blades. Beyond that, I got a decent shave with no nicks, weepers, or irritation. I even slapped some Aqua Velva Musk on, and it only tingled a wee bit.

I'll break blade 3 out tomorrow.

I finished my 7 shaves with the AFM razor/blade combo yesterday so today, I loaded the AFM razor with an Astra SP (2) to see how it worked. The shave with this combo was totally different. Smooth, mild, no tugging and a DFS+. I think the AFM razor it plenty capable of a good shave. For me, it was the AFM blades that caused all the discomfort. Now, it is time to put the challenge to bed and move on. I will hang onto the AFM as it will make a nice travel razor but I am glad the blades are gone :)

Morning Shave - 06/14/24
Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Assured For Men Blade (2)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft RR400
Aftershave: AV Classic
Shave Comfort: 10/10 (Smooth)
Shave Quality: 9.5/10 (DFS++)
Shave Rating: 9.75/10
Even though this is just the second shave with the R41 it is an easy razor to use. It is quite efficient, but still it is easy to use. It gave me a very close and comfortable shave this morning. It was bordering a BBS, but not quite. I'll take it! No irritation just smooth goodness.

This was the next to last shave with the AFM blades. They are good for about 2-3 shaves, but no more. I will use my last AFM blade tomorrow and finish the tuck.

Shave #7 ( Blade #3 )

I slid the AFM blade into my Gillette New Long Comb and had a pretty decent shave. It's still not insanely smooth, but it is usable and it doesn't scare me much.

I'm headed to Scout Camp starting Sunday so it may next weekend before I feel up to testing the AFM razor or blade more. Part of me wants to take one AFM blade with me to camp. We will see.

I <may> slide a 7 O'clock SharpEdge into the AFM razor tomorrow and at least try one pass with it :)

I finished my 7 shaves with the AFM razor/blade combo yesterday so today, I loaded the AFM razor with an Astra SP (2) to see how it worked. The shave with this combo was totally different. Smooth, mild, no tugging and a DFS+. I think the AFM razor it plenty capable of a good shave. For me, it was the AFM blades that caused all the discomfort. Now, it is time to put the challenge to bed and move on. I will hang onto the AFM as it will make a nice travel razor but I am glad the blades are gone :)
I suspect the AFM razor and the AFM blade bring out the worst in each other. I've tried the blade in a number of other razors, and while they still haven't been great they aren't as scary as they are in the AFM razor.

I suspect the AFM razor and the AFM blade bring out the worst in each other. I've tried the blade in a number of other razors, and while they still haven't been great they aren't as scary as they are in the AFM razor.
I agree. After trying the AFM blade in a Tech head, the blade felt like a slightly-lower-than-middle-of-the-pack blade. It's sharp, and gave a close shave, just not as smooth as others.

I agree. After trying the AFM blade in a Tech head, the blade felt like a slightly-lower-than-middle-of-the-pack blade. It's sharp, and gave a close shave, just not as smooth as others.
I think that's what I am seeing. The AFM blade doesn't do the AFM razor any favors, but I've at least gotten a few acceptable shaves from the blade in other razors.

I don't think the blade will ever be a favorite, but if I was traveling and just needed a DE blade for some reason I wouldn't hesitate to pick these up at a Dollar Tree that had them instead of paying what Walgreens and CVS wants for their DE blades these days.

Shave #3

Mid Day Shave - 06/14/24
Razor:
Assured For Men Razor 3-piece
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Brush: RazoRock 400
Aftershave: Nivea Men Deep Comfort After Shave - Vanilla & Bourbon

For today’s shave I tested out the AFM razor with a fresh Perma-Sharp and I confirmed that the AFM blade was my issue. My shave today was actually enjoyable for the first time this week. I went through my same 2 WTG dome passes and the AFM & Perma-Sharp effortlessly mowed down any hairs that got in their way. The second pass was only needed for clean-up. The end result was the closest and most comfortable shave of the challenge week.

The AFM razor is incredibly lightweight and the handle felt flimsy at times, but nothing worth complaining about, especially being somewhat used to it by now. After taking a second look at the assembled razor, I was a little worried looking at the blade exposure, but it wasn’t an issue even with the sharper blade today. I would consider this razor again as a cheap travel option.

I still suspect it’s a 1+1= <2, because the AFM blade was decent when I paired it with my Lupo Aluminum. Thinking I’ll try the AFM blade in a heavier stainless steel razor to see how that works out.

Attachments

• IMG_6239.jpeg
    IMG_6239.jpeg
    816.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6240.jpeg
    IMG_6240.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Top Bottom