What's new

How to choose a hat?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
If the hat in the top row second from the left is what I think it is, I own one too.

Indiana Jones, in gray.
It is from a Japanese company called H W Dog&co. The other companies are Freewheers Japan, Stetson USA and one from Mexico. Sad to say it is only part of my collection. I did have some Art Fawcett hats but I gave away about 20 hats when we downsized 2 years ago. Don't mention the flat caps. 🤫🤫🤫

So the strawish hat is because my wife likes it. The flat cap is for general wear and the other what ever the heck it is is because I like it for dressin out. I am not sure what it is. I just picked from what I found at the t-town mall. But the small brim blue hat, in person anyway...I think, is **** a the walk boy. When I showed my mom she said "Marvin Snider" which is her dad. My grandpa. And I did not even know he wore thta sorta thing. She said it was his thang tilt and all. So that was the icing on the cake. I do believe I shall love this hat.

Attachments

• 20210514_193615.jpg
    20210514_193615.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210514_192813.jpg
    20210514_192813.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210514_192522.jpg
    20210514_192522.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
So the strawish hat is because my wife likes it. The flat cap is for general wear and the other what ever the heck it is is because I like it for dressin out. I am not sure what it is. I just picked from what I found at the t-town mall. But the small brim blue hat, in person anyway...I think, is **** a the walk boy. When I showed my mom she said "Marvin Snider" which is her dad. My grandpa. And I did not even know he wore thta sorta thing. She said it was his thang tilt and all. So that was the icing on the cake. I do believe I shall love this hat.
That wide-brimmed hat looks outstanding on you! The others look good, too, but that one really clicks.

Very much appreciate all the input to consider.

I am hoping to head back to Tulsa this weekend. It should be a big enough town to have a hat store. 2 hrs away ugh. My trouble is A. indecisive
B. self conscious (so do not feel comfortable in ANYTHING)
C. no where close to try stuff on
D. Church is the only place I go in my life that I do not get dirty! LOL

Been a farm boy all my life. Work in a foundry/machine shop. Play in the woods and on a Harley. I want to dress nice, as it makes me feel good about myself. However I end up taking my nice shirt or sport jacket off and working on someone's vehicle in the parking lot of church or restaurant LOL

It took me a few years (idk 15 haha) to finally work into wearing a sport coat/jacket. It only took a few months for everyone's shock and confusion to wear off and stop making comments "Are you preaching today?????" No I just wanna look nice. I have a couple that I quite like and feel comfortable (as I can be) in. So in just a few years I should be able to work into a hat :)

At least all these adds on my computer are now trying to steer me into one. Stupid internet spying on my typing....
Check out Akubra Hats on the web. They make fedoras as well as the famous Aussie bush hats. A shop called The Hattery in Katoomba, Australia, outside Sydney (hatsdirect.com), carries most of them including the Federation, which is very much an IJ sort of hat. However, they also have shorter-brimmed models like the Stylemaster, Bogart, and Fedora. I ordered 2 Feds from them, and both fitted just fine and have been great lids.

If you want a dress hat and/or one that will last, go fur felt. The cheap wool hats will shrink and lose their shape in the rain.

The wide-brimmed hat and the cap look the best.

The wide-brimmed hat and the cap look the best.
To give the small brim hat its fair shake, I should have thrown my jacket on. It, however, is the only one I have not worn yet, so I guess I do not know for certain how it will play out. I have high hopes for how it dresses up my jackets, but only time will tell.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To give the small brim hat its fair shake, I should have thrown my jacket on. It, however, is the only one I have not worn yet, so I guess I do not know for certain how it will play out. I have high hopes for how it dresses up my jackets, but only time will tell.

I quite like trilbys. I don't have particularly strong facial features, and so a smaller brim can work quite well for me. I only tend to go for a wider brim if I need to for weather conditions (sun or rain).

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The straw looks good, but I think you're a flat cap kind of guy.

What you're describing is a Tilley and they are great hats. Tilley has a "medium" full wrap brim that would be ideal for you. I have one for when I travel or if it rains and it is indestructible, looks nice, easy to wash etc, etc. You cannot go wrong with a Tilley hat.

You might also like the hemp version if you are not into the nylon style.

I should add that under $100, a Tilley is a bargain!

I have always liked collecting hats for myself but I am also very picky when I have to wear any hat that I have in my collection. I have hats from all around the world but I can only wear hats that I order from Low Minimum Custom 6 Panel Hats | HeadwearHut.com - https://headwearhut.com/collections/custom-6-panel-hats. I have a small head and most hats are not that comfortable on my head. I have to order hats custom-sized in order to not feel any discomfort. I have been doing this for a long time and I don't think I'm going to stop soon.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I quite like trilbys. I don't have particularly strong facial features, and so a smaller brim can work quite well for me. I only tend to go for a wider brim if I need to for weather conditions (sun or rain).
I read that Brits went for increasingly smaller rimmed Fedoras, thus the evolution of the Trilby? Yanks went for increasingly wider rimmed Fedoras. Get the rim too wide, and it just ends up being another cowboy hat. I like a happy medium between a Trilby and a Cowboy hat... a standard fedora lol. An Indiana Jones style Fedora has too wide a rim for me. If I wanted to rope cattle and wear a cowboy hat I'd buy one. Y'all seen my Horse pardner?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I read that Brits went for increasingly smaller rimmed Fedoras, thus the evolution of the Trilby? Yanks went for increasingly wider rimmed Fedoras. Get the rim too wide, and it just ends up being another cowboy hat. I like a happy medium between a Trilby and a Cowboy hat... a standard fedora lol. An Indiana Jones style Fedora has too wide a rim for me. If I wanted to rope cattle and wear a cowboy hat I'd buy one. Y'all seen my Horse pardner?

I have a small assortment now, but still prefer a narrower brim for general use. That said, I will grab a wider brim in very heavy sun, or very heavy rain, just so long as there's no heavy wind. My ability to chase runaway hats is non-existent.

I do not see the point of a narrow-brimmed hat. For me hats are functional - protecting from both rain and sun, and more convenient than carrying an umbrella - so the brim is the whole point of it. The felt must be able to take a heavy rainstorm without damage or deformation. If a hat is not functional then it is fashion, which is an affectation I am uncomfortable with when these days hats are uncommon and will draw attention. I don’t really want to be “the hat guy” without a sound practical reason for it.

But that’s just me.

If you feel as I do then you will get a fedora with a brim of 2“ or more (3” is about the maximum unless you are on your way to a rodeo). It will be suitable to wear on any occasion - formal or casual. Akubras are outstanding value and their felt is high quality but also made to handle extreme weather, not show wear, and hold the shape. You will age faster than your Akubra. So that’s what I would recommend to anybody. The Akubra Campdraft model is excellent but it comes with an open crown so you shape the hat yourself to your favoured style, height, etc. - surprisingly easy to do and re-do if you don’t like the result. If you don’t fancy shaping your hat then Akubra has many other models.

Top Bottom