What's new

baseball hats do a poor job for sun protection?

I always thought baseball hats were good for sun protection, but now in my 50's I realize they have probably done a really bad job all along. First there is no protection for the back of neck (but that is obvious). However, I also have noticed that the visor tends to be so shaped that it doesn't even protect the skin on the cheeks and possibly even the eyes all that well. In that style of had, maybe a truckers had might do a better job because it tends to have a bigger and wider visor.

What do you guys think?

I have been using a wide brimmed hat for a few years but misplaced it and tried to get by with a baseball hat and realized it was for all practical purposes useless, maybe protects the nose at most.

I always thought baseball hats were good for sun protection, but now in my 50's I realize they have probably done a really bad job all along. First there is no protection for the back of neck (but that is obvious). However, I also have noticed that the visor tends to be so shaped that it doesn't even protect the skin on the cheeks and possibly even the eyes all that well. In that style of had, maybe a truckers had might do a better job because it tends to have a bigger and wider visor.

What do you guys think?

I have been using a wide brimmed hat for a few years but misplaced it and tried to get by with a baseball hat and realized it was for all practical purposes useless, maybe protects the nose at most.
I think it’s best to get an adult hat like a fedora. Something with a decent brim and made of a good quality felt so that it can protect you from sun, rain and snow. Much more convenient than carrying an umbrella. Akubras are excellent and very hard wearing. Great value too.

Baseball hats are mostly used for shielding your eyes. I agree, if sun protection is the goal, they are better than a swim cap or not wearing anything at all. Though they could be worse than nothing, as it may give the impression that you are doing something when in reality you are not.
I've been a big fan of Tilley hats. They're pricey, but I've yet to find an inexpensive item that I both like the looks and feel of.

I highly recommend a Tilley T3. It also helps to slather ears, neck, and sides around ears. I like Coppertone Sport.
Does it have a chin strap? Gets very windy here so need something to keep it from flying off.

Yep. That's what I wear now too. Baseball hats never worked for me. This protects me much better.

proxy.php

When I go fishing, I wear a baseball haw with a neck flap. The flap provides sun protection to my neck and ears. I also wear a face/neck buff that covers my nose and the front of my neck. Over my eyes, I wear UV-400 rated sunglasses to prevent UV damage.

The rest of my body is also very well covered to prevent sun damage. The only thing exposed to the sun are my fingertips! 😁

Top Bottom