What's new

baseball hats do a poor job for sun protection?

I’m thinking of getting this.
Got this a few days ago. Not too impressed with it. Doesn't feel like it protects as well as a plain cotton hat that I had before it which I lost.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great thread. I hate wearing hats as I had to wear caps and headwear when I worked Security in Factories many years ago. I have been trying to get into wearing Baseball caps but find they don’t cover your ears etc. I wear a cowboy hat when mowing the lawns and I have recently bought a few wider brimmed hats such as boonie hats and Fedora style hats. Just have to make myself wear them.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When I work, I sweat. If it's above 85F I sweat a LOT. Since I have no hair on my head, all that sweat ends up in my hat. I've had to change hats after there was so much sweat wicked into it that it was literally dripping off the edge of the brim. I have one really disgusting old hat that Mrs. Hippie won't even go near. :)

For the last ten years or so, I habitually drape a bandanna over my head, pull the corners back a bit so it doesn't block my vision, and then cram a Carharrt baseball cap on top of it. Keeps the sun off my neck and cheeks (the beard helps), and the cap bill keeps the sun out of my eyes. Particularly off the edges of my lenses, or I get sunbloom and can't see diddly. The bandanna wicks all the sweat away and I stay pretty cool from evaporation.

It's ugly but comfortable. I tend to favour purple bandannas, which amuses the neighbours who all wear cowperson hats and chase them down the road when the wind blows.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What are these please?

Cowperson hats are broad-brimmed hats typically made either from felt (wool or other fibre) or straw (either natural or plastic fibre). They feature a high crown and typically the brim is turned up a bit on the sides. They are primarily worn in the rural areas of North America by persons whose interest or profession causes them to work outside in all weathers tending their animals.

They can be plain or fancy depending on the wearer's preferences. They are often decorated with different crown styles, different brim widths, varying techniques for turning up the brim, addition of coloured hatbands, ribbons, feathers, flowers, religious bangles, badges and pins, even for some young fellows an earring provided by some recently met young lady. Overall size has cultural significance. A person wearing a very large showy cowperson hat risks being accused of being "all hat; no cattle."

Although they are called cowperson hats they are often worn by horsepersons, sheep-persons, buffalopersons, tourists from large metropolitan areas and anyone else who prefers the style. Even rabbit breeders of all people.

You've probably deduced that "cowperson" is an attempt at a jokingly inclusive term for a rural agriculturalist engaged in animal husbandry, whatever their gender expression may be.

A cowboy hat by any other name, to misquote Shakespeare, would still be dirty, greasy and have a smear of manure on it.

Now let's talk about belt buckles.

O.H.

Cowperson hats are broad-brimmed hats typically made either from felt (wool or other fibre) or straw (either natural or plastic fibre). They feature a high crown and typically the brim is turned up a bit on the sides. They are primarily worn in the rural areas of North America by persons whose interest or profession causes them to work outside in all weathers tending their animals.

They can be plain or fancy depending on the wearer's preferences. They are often decorated with different crown styles, different brim widths, varying techniques for turning up the brim, addition of coloured hatbands, ribbons, feathers, flowers, religious bangles, badges and pins, even for some young fellows an earring provided by some recently met young lady. Overall size has cultural significance. A person wearing a very large showy cowperson hat risks being accused of being "all hat; no cattle."

Although they are called cowperson hats they are often worn by horsepersons, sheep-persons, buffalopersons, tourists from large metropolitan areas and anyone else who prefers the style. Even rabbit breeders of all people.

You've probably deduced that "cowperson" is an attempt at a jokingly inclusive term for a rural agriculturalist engaged in animal husbandry, whatever their gender expression may be.

A cowboy hat by any other name, to misquote Shakespeare, would still be dirty, greasy and have a smear of manure on it.

Now let's talk about belt buckles.

O.H.
When I lived in Denver, never got (because I never wanted) the hat. But got a couple of pairs of riders and a sweet, sweet bolo tie.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I got this thing cheap for $10 and change. It's a pretty darned great hat.

proxy.php

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Look at any hat you might wear. Does it provide shade or sun blockage where you need it? If you have long hair and a full beard a baseball hat might be great. If you have a buzz cut and no beard different story. Gotta wear what you need.

Recently been wearing a cricket style broad brimmed hat. Thick white cotton with green under the brim so it doesn't reflect as much light from the ground. Here in Australia there has been a large effort to encourage wearing sun protection since the 80s with the "slip, slop, slap" campaign, and they've added "seek, slide" since then. Growing up since then, I wore a broad brimmed hat all through schooling.
The Cancer Council hat specs are:
"Choose between:
A broad brimmed hat with a brim width of at least 7.5 cm
A legionnaire style hat where the back flap meets the side of the front peak
A bucket hat with a deep crown that sits low on the head and has an angled brim, which is at least 6 cm wide"

1698295538503.png

1698295006977.png

1698295030828.png

Top Bottom