What's new

How old is too old for cars

The benefit of a non classic convertible is my 94 Miata is a dime a dozen and parts are readily available should I need one. I have the spirit of the old British sports cars without the expense.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It depends on the specific car, but the the biggest concern with driving an "old" car is what happens if ever involved in a crash. As this 90's model Corolla demonstrates in a bad way:
This Crash Between A 2015 And A 1998 Toyota Corolla Shows How Far Car Safety Has Come

Good point.
Older cars that don't meet certain safety ratings now cost more to register here.
I don't think it is enough to put off people from keeping older cars at the current extra cost to register but they appear to be pushing it in that direction.

It was not that long ago when car brakes improved, that the newer car would stand on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of them. Only to be rammed by the car following with older type brakes.
Defencive driving can go a long way to making you and others on the road safe.

Last edited:
I'd have a old Jaaaaggggg. I always wanted a 3.4 Litre Mark 2 Jag when I was young.
While that is getting its electrical system fixed I would be driving my E-Type Jag.

Triumph you say. How about a Triumph GT6 Spitfire.

View attachment 789180
I had a 76' model Spitfire, and yes the Lucas crap did leave me stranded a few times. It was a fun car to drive, especially on the Blue Ridge Parkway
1976-spitfire-1.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The benefit of a non classic convertible is my 94 Miata is a dime a dozen and parts are readily available should I need one. I have the spirit of the old British sports cars without the expense.
Good point- I have eyed them a time or two
I had a 76' model Spitfire, and yes the Lucas crap did leave me stranded a few times. It was a fun car to drive, especially on the Blue Ridge ParkwayView attachment 789580

Niiiiice

We're still enjoying the 1992 Dodge D150 pickup we purchased new in November of 1991. I keep maintenance logs on the vehicles. The odometer quit at 214,000 miles in April of 2000. Was quoted a really high price to replace the speedometer/odometer so, since the speedometer still worked, just did without. We figure it has over 500,000 miles on it now. It was trouble free for that first 100,000 miles, yet strangely enough, it's been even more trouble-free each succeeding 100,000 miles. Only the radiator, A/C compressor, starter, and last year, original computer have been replaced. Everything else is original.

It occasionally takes items to our eldest son and family from central Texas to Nashville, Tennessee and has made a couple of trips in more recent times to Twentynine Palms, California from central Texas, carrying our youngest son's motorcycle to him when he was stationed there while in the Marine Corps.

Took it on a bed & breakfast/antique shopping weekend last year in the Texas Hill Country. Needed it to haul home a table and chairs.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I sold my 1967 Chevelle SS396 two years ago and it was my daily driver for 15 years other than winter driving. At the same time, I sold my 1999 Grand Prix GTP to a scrap dealer who came to pick it up for $300. The only reason I sold it was because the rear strut tower supports started to rot and the struts were relocating themselves to inside the trunk haha. It had over 197000km on it when it left my driveway and if it wasnt for the strut supports I'd still be driving it, it ran great. I replaced it with a 2006 Grand Prix GT, supercharged also, and expect it to last me another 10 years easily, but it is garage kept.

I sold my Chevelle to a friend who already had a 1966 and wanted a 67 and there it is below as of last year with a fire breathing 600+HP 427 in it.

IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG

I have had the same car for 12 years now. That is the longest I've ever kept a car.
It's a 2001 year car (brand withheld on purpose) and done 275km / 170miles.
Part of the reason I have not replaced it is I would rather put the money on the mortgage than replace cars every 3 or 4 years as some people do.
On the down side comes a higher annual maintenance bill and the odd thing failing at the worst of times. My alternator spat the dummy at Christmas. :angry:
Even with having to throw the odd new part at the old girl, the cost per year to run it is still better than replacing cars all the time.
This morning was one of those why do I still have this old pig moments. :)
On lowering the drivers window as I drove to work this morning, it wen crack. The window was still up, errrrr. Sounds like the window has just come out of the runners, so a cheap fix and they are wear parts anyway. New plastic window runners ordered and will fix it this weekend. I'm guessing a half hour fix but three days of not being able to use the window. :(
I would like to keep the old girl going for a few more years yet, some days I think that I'm just plumb crazy. Yip today was one of those days.

So how long do you drive your cars for. Age of car? How many K's/miles. Till the ash tray is fill?
Do you think I'm totally bonkers......never mind, don't answer that one, I already know the answer. :)

You aren't bonkers at all. Quite sane in fact. Saner than most. I never understood the need to get a new car every 3 or 4 years either. Since my first car back in 1985 I have kept them on average 10 years. And when the maintenance is sending me messages that it is a losing battle, that is when I move on. So, present cars are a 2008 Acura MDX with 105,000 miles on her. Bought used with about 25,000 miles. The other is a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T with 77,000 miles on her, also bought used with 18,500 miles. The wife drives the MDX and is not making any noise about wanting to change out. I'm hoping to drive the Audi for as long as she will go without major repair costs and hoping the wife will want to do the same. Cars are a depreciating or wasting asset and will never provide any kind of "return" financially. So, the less paid on cars in general, the better off we are.

My 2005 Subaru Forrester has 296,000 great miles behind it. I think I'll keep going for another year or two.

I would think you would need a lot of time with to won any older British iron. I had a very low mileage 1976 TR-6--the last year they were made--for quite a while. As far as I can tell, as it sat in a garage parts would fall off of it. It was fun to drive, but the build quality was terrible. And Lucas, Prince of Darkness, for sure. As I recall, build quality went down with the TR-7s.

I remember a Consumer Guide or something like that review of the Spitfire back around the same time that went something like: "The Triumph Spitfire--you surely will, if you by this car."

The car I probably really would have wanted was an Austin-Healey 3000. But I would say I got Brit sports cars out of my system.

Due to the brutality of salt on car frames and bodies here in Central New York, I have never been able to keep an 'everyday ride' longer than 14 years. I celebrate a Car Mitzvah and get a new one.

I bought my jeep liberty new in 09. Still have it, before that I drove a hand me down 95 nissan altima that got me through college.
Got the wife a 2006 used mini van last year, it has the dvd player built into it. I had to do some minimal maintenance on it to bring it to specs but we got more car for our money than if we had bought new. I think it has about 145K on it now.
I would like to keep the van for at least another 100k miles. we got another baby on the way and its going to be tight to fit 5 people in the Jeep.

Top Bottom