What's new

How old is too old for cars

I currently have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse with around 130,000mi on it. I am looking to replace it for a few reasons. It has some sort of electrical gremlin in it. It keeps frying computers and fuel pumps. The radio and a/c don't work. The paint is more rust than black. It has left me stranded a few times. Plus it would be nice to have a sedan so that my kids could actually fit in the back seat.

Once the mfg had air bags for front and sides, I decided it was time to get my midlife crisis car. Now my '05 CTS-V with an LS-6 has 75k on her and I'm hoping to ride on into the realm of classic cars worth $$... Of course, we need to get a 2k tune up on the paint and such pretty soon, but I'm waiting for the day she has the garage all to herself - I hate people who leave paint marks on my side panels because they don't care when opening their car doors! ( I'm still trying to figure out how I got in a 20 year relationship with one)

The CTS-Vs look like such fun cars.

I buy new and run them into the ground. I figure one new vehicle versus 3-4 used in the same time frame I am at least breaking even. Currently have a 2003 Ram 2500 diesel, plan to run it another 5 years or so. Wife got a new Subaru a couple years back, we are set with no car payments for the next several years.

At one time I was more "oh oh oh new car new car" I guess with kids and age comes the point that I would rather it just run until I have to Flintstones it before I get a new one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My main point is reliability.

If I know that the vehicle is going to not likely die on me in the middle of a road trip, I'll keep it going as long as I can until it loses that reliability ... or until the costs of maintenance & repairs are more than the monthly financing costs of buying a new vehicle.

I keep them until they die. I bought an '02 Accord EX-L new in Oct of '02, and ran it til the engine crapped out at 406K miles in 2012! It was probably just a blown head gasket, but I didn't want to hassle with the check engine light for smog every 2 years. At 180K I replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one, which outlasted the original. Everything else still worked on that car, the power windows, moonroof, power seats, stereo, steering wheel controls, etc.

I also bought a '06 Ford Expedition in Nov of '05, also ran it til the engine died (knocking sound). That thing only gave me about 90K miles, and had the check engine light problem towards the end. Even the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong, they ultimately said it needed a new PCU, after saying it was the alternator (that cost $700 installed).

So as others have said, keep them as long as the cost of maintenance is not too high, and for me, as long as it still passes smog. Once they can't pass smog, I toss them like a bad habit.

Which brings me to my first truck a '76 Dodge Adventurer. I kept that truck because I was waiting for it to become 30 years old so that it would be smog-exempt, but then the DMV changed the rule to '75 and older no smog, everything else needs to be smogged, so I got rid of it lmao.

My current car is a '13 Accord EX-L, which replaced the '02. I currently have 174K miles on it.

My wife is driving a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. Only had one problem with it a few years ago, a cracked intake manifold. That pricy part turned out to be made of plastic. I think we just turned 120,000 on it, not a lot of mileage for a 17 year old car. My truck is a 2003 F250 Diesel, got about 150,000 on it, mostly highway miles. I put a bypass oil filter on it, and run synthetic oil, actually in both vehicles, and only had two problems, A/C compressor went out, and some kind of sensor that mad it almost impossible to start when cold here.

When something goes wrong it get's fixed, much less expensive than monthly car payments. I have always kept a vehicle at least ten years. Recommended maintance is performed as scheduled.

I'm 27 and I've owned 25 cars so far which is extreme for most people but I love it and don't see myself slowing down anytime soon though I'll probably keep my f350 superduty for life and then add to the collection from there.

I'm afraid I might have to let the '99 Explorer go. I don't think there is anything major wrong with it, but there are enough medium to small issues that it will cost more to repair than its worth. Then there was the rusted brake line in December. That was scary. I don't often need something that big, but when I do its handy.

I bought an '08 Wrangler new in Nov '07, has about 160000km (roughly 99500 mi) and no intentions of changing. I specifically bought a Wrangler because you can get pretty much EVERY PART on the whole vehicle aftermarket and readily available online. I plan to drive it until at least two sets of doors fall off.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm afraid I might have to let the '99 Explorer go. I don't think there is anything major wrong with it, but there are enough medium to small issues that it will cost more to repair than its worth. Then there was the rusted brake line in December. That was scary. I don't often need something that big, but when I do its handy.
After I bought the house, I bought an F150- got to have a truck when you own a home, right? Yes, it has come in handy, but when I let it go I will be buying a car that gets decent gas mileage. Almost 200k miles at 17-19 MPG- that a lot of gas. If I need a truck for a day or two, I will rent one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After I bought the house, I bought an F150- got to have a truck when you own a home, right? Yes, it has come in handy, but when I let it go I will be buying a car that gets decent gas mileage. Almost 200k miles at 17-19 MPG- that a lot of gas. If I need a truck for a day or two, I will rent one.
Damn, I just did some quick math- I have spent more in gas than I did to buy the truck.

I find driving a new car to be one of the pleasures in life; having said that I don't see it as an asset and so I lease (contract hire) for three years at a time (I have a business and so can write it off). I look at it as paying rent on something I enjoy. I can completely understand viewing a vehicle as a means of transportation and just driving it until it is completely worn out, and that certainly makes more economical sense.

I drive a 94 Mazda Miata. Cost me 4500 and it is in pretty spectacular shape for its age. I have about 170k on there and drive twice a week once to the store, and, once to a standing appointment. I need to replace the oil cooler hose, wee little rubber hose that is going to cost me 170 due to it's placement, but, I have just been dumping a gallon of antifreeze in there every few months.
Honestly this is the newest and most expensive car I have ever had. Before this I had two for around 3k, that were 93s, same model, a 91 that cost me 1500, and the rest were mid 80s less than a grand each. I never want to buy new. I am perfectly content to buy used, and then only from individuals. I don't trust dealers. They have always swindled me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I find driving a new car to be one of the pleasures in life; having said that I don't see it as an asset and so I lease (contract hire) for three years at a time (I have a business and so can write it off). I look at it as paying rent on something I enjoy. I can completely understand viewing a vehicle as a means of transportation and just driving it until it is completely worn out, and that certainly makes more economical sense.
I imagine I get just as much enjoyment if not more from my 23 year old convertible as you do your fancy business cars. Wink. I mean no harm but seriously.

I keep them until they die. I bought an '02 Accord EX-L new in Oct of '02, and ran it til the engine crapped out at 406K miles in 2012! It was probably just a blown head gasket, but I didn't want to hassle with the check engine light for smog every 2 years. At 180K I replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one, which outlasted the original. Everything else still worked on that car, the power windows, moonroof, power seats, stereo, steering wheel controls, etc.

I also bought a '06 Ford Expedition in Nov of '05, also ran it til the engine died (knocking sound). That thing only gave me about 90K miles, and had the check engine light problem towards the end. Even the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong, they ultimately said it needed a new PCU, after saying it was the alternator (that cost $700 installed).

So as others have said, keep them as long as the cost of maintenance is not too high, and for me, as long as it still passes smog. Once they can't pass smog, I toss them like a bad habit.

Which brings me to my first truck a '76 Dodge Adventurer. I kept that truck because I was waiting for it to become 30 years old so that it would be smog-exempt, but then the DMV changed the rule to '75 and older no smog, everything else needs to be smogged, so I got rid of it lmao.

My current car is a '13 Accord EX-L, which replaced the '02. I currently have 174K miles on it.
I hate rules like that. I am a classic car lover and it breaks my heart seeing them taken off the road for such reasons.

I imagine I get just as much enjoyment if not more from my 23 year old convertible as you do your fancy business cars. Wink. I mean no harm but seriously.

I can absolutely understand and respect that! Truth be told I would actually love to own an a Morris Minor and to tinker with it. Hopefully in a few years when I have some more time on my hands!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can absolutely understand and respect that! Truth be told I would actually love to own an a Morris Minor and to tinker with it. Hopefully in a few years when I have some more time on my hands!
Old Brit iron? You will need a lot of time :) I would like a Triumph TR7. If you do go Brit, get the kit to redo the electrical system. There is a reason the British like warm beer- Lucas makes refrigerators, too :lol:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Old Brit iron? You will need a lot of time :) I would like a Triumph TR7. If you do go Brit, get the kit to redo the electrical system. There is a reason the British like warm beer- Lucas makes refrigerators, too :lol:

I'd have a old Jaaaaggggg. I always wanted a 3.4 Litre Mark 2 Jag when I was young.
While that is getting its electrical system fixed I would be driving my E-Type Jag.

Triumph you say. How about a Triumph GT6 Spitfire.

38217eb66a938a3578150b22809d057d.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom