What's new

How often do you change your blade?

Okay, so Turtle has too much time on his hands. However, he's on to something. I have started to mark my blades with a Sharpie marker with simply a dot for every shave. My present Timor blade has 4 dots. We'll see whether I can go to a 5th shave or not with it. I often can't remember whether it's the second or third shave for a certain blade. That's why I started the dots.

I like the sharpie idea. I'll give it a go. It's hard to keep track of what pass you're on if you have multiple razors loaded with something different.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I was changing my Shark SC's after six (6) shaves, but after realizing that there is a direct correlation between ingrown hairs and dull blades, I've switched to changing my blades after three (3) shaves and wow…my shaves definitely improved (less ‘weepers’ and ingrown hairs), which is very important for us men of color.

Because blades are so cheap, there’s no need to try to extend blade use. Also, I entreat those who have doubts...try it....it works and
change your blades more often. :thumbsup:

:straight:
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on apiece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Chiming in late, but normally about every 3-4 shaves. I've learned to stick with my red personas, no matter what razor I'm using.

Hi there,

as I use magnets for storage of my razors as described here :
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/275023-Keep-your-DE-blades-sharp-!

I usually get 2 weeks out of a blade (Astra SP, Feather, Voskhod, Ladas). I don't obsessively keep track though. At some point of time you just feel it's time for a new blade and I don't put down the date when I changed it. So give or take 12 to 14 shaves with 3 passes each.
Some folks lament about this is not saving enough money to be worth the trouble etc. For me this is no trouble at all just placing the razor on the magnet instead of the counter surface. In case you use some blades not anymore in production (e.g. Iridium Super) you might just the extend the time your limited supply will last by 3 to 4 times. And that's worth a try, just my $0.02.

I tend to push my blades to make them last 2 shaves, but the second shave is usually much worst than the first. I have a very thick wiry beard, though, so I both need an extra sharp blade, and dull them quickly. OTOH, I know a guy who changes his blade about once a month, so YMMV.

After unwrapping the new blade, I use a marker and just put a hash mark on the wrapper and store the wrapper under the razor stand out of sight. Each day when I reach for the razor, I lift up the stand and add another hash mark on the wrapper. Once I have three hash marks on that blade wrapper I drop the blade in the bank after my shave and go on from there. I have a total of 5 razors that I have out to use. I have not lost count of my shaves yet. $IMG_0833.jpg

After unwrapping the new blade, I use a marker and just put a hash mark on the wrapper and store the wrapper under the razor stand out of sight. Each day when I reach for the razor, I lift up the stand and add another hash mark on the wrapper. Once I have three hash marks on that blade wrapper I drop the blade in the bank after my shave and go on from there. I have a total of 5 razors that I have out to use. I have not lost count of my shaves yet.

That looks like another member using Voskhods (in a Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff ?), great blades. :thumbup1:
Very methodically but why don't you just use them until you feel it's time for a new blade? The way you do it, you'll never see a difference in how fast various brands of blades deteriorate.

That looks like another member using Voskhods (in a Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff ?), great blades. :thumbup1:
Very methodically but why don't you just use them until you feel it's time for a new blade? The way you do it, you'll never see a difference in how fast various brands of blades deteriorate.
For me, three shaves are about all I want from any blade. I do not want to use the blade until it deteriorates to the point my face will know. No offense to anyone, but I don't really want my face to be a testing or proving grounds for a blades longevity. At age 60, my face has been through enough already. :crying:

I have rather corse/wiry facial hair. Because of this, Feathers start to drag on the third shave. It would be interesting to measure the thickness of the hair with a micrometer. My sense is that those with the thickest hairs get the least amount of shaves per blade. That said, blade maintenance plays a role as well.

Top Bottom