What's new

How much should a hair cut cost?

My barber charges 25$ CDN. I think thats about 5$ US the way our dollar is lately. I give him $40 and I think its worth it. Good barbers are hard to find.

I have always thought there would be value in having a "haircut index", tracking prices in various places around the country and world. That this would be a more accurate economic indicator of purchasing power than the local minimum wage or Big Mac index. There can be a big disparity between urban and rural prices in US. Much less comparing them to 3rd world countries.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's all over the map around Houston. $20 is pretty much in the average range, but you can go a mile or two in one direction or another and find a $40 cut and a $6 one.

I will visit a local shop 0nce or twice a year in order to treat myself to a hot towel shave. That, plus having them shave my dome ran me $50.00CAD (incl. tip) last time out

Like DE shaving one of the best things I learned was how to cut my own hair. Also like DE shaving the first couple results were terrible, in retrospect.

I was going to the same place since I was a kid. Charged $20 and $10 tip. Usually gave a complimentary wet shave too. Fair value but I was always getting the same type of haircut and it wasn't super complicated. And I needed a haircut every 2-3 weeks, my hair grows fast.

I've been going to the same tattooed-up, younger guy, getting a 1 or 1.5 buzz, for several years. He does a really thorough buzz and a good job on feathering and trimming around the ears and taming my bushy eyebrows. Cost for a Senior is $17 and I give the guy a $5 tip for his 10 minutes of work.

All buzz cuts aren't equal. Most barber shops closer to me seem to have gone over to women who don't speak English, use cheap plastic heads on the clippers and watch soaps or talk shows on tv while cutting. You come home with an uneven buzz, wondering how they ever got a license from the State. The only reason I don't do it myself is because I don't want to deal with the mess or the caterpillars that grow over my eyes. If I let those go too long, I could be Andy Rooney.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've been going to the same tattooed-up, younger guy, getting a 1 or 1.5 buzz, for several years. He does a really thorough buzz and a good job on feathering and trimming around the ears and taming my bushy eyebrows. Cost for a Senior is $17 and I give the guy a $5 tip for his 10 minutes of work.

All buzz cuts aren't equal. Most barber shops closer to me seem to have gone over to women who don't speak English, use cheap plastic heads on the clippers and watch soaps or talk shows on tv while cutting. You come home with an uneven buzz, wondering how they ever got a license from the State. The only reason I don't do it myself is because I don't want to deal with the mess or the caterpillars that grow over my eyes. If I let those go too long, I could be Andy Rooney.
Yep, mine does the same with the eyebrows. Have to do the ears, too (ain’t getting old fun). Today was $12, because I wanted someone to wash my hair. It may sound funny, but I find it relaxing. Gave the customary $5 tip.

Eastern Canada, small university town. There are three barbershops that look like barbershops (i.e. not like unisex salons). The going rate for a regular haircut is $15 CAD, but I usually tip the extra $5 from a $20. Except for one of them, who charges only $10 for a simple buzz cut, which is my usual. She gets $15.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
$20 here.

Bear in mind that the barber has to pay market rates for rent &c ... if he's in an expensive rental market, his costs are higher and the prices will reflect that.

$20 here.

Bear in mind that the barber has to pay market rates for rent &c ... if he's in an expensive rental market, his costs are higher and the prices will reflect that.

Twenty bucks for every half hour you're open isn't going to go very far covering all the expenses of a business and a home life.
dave

I've been cutting my own with clippers for the past 5 years or so, but before that, I went to a place that charged $15. I guess I just got tired of forking over money for something I could do myself.

$20 here.

Exactly...

When one looks at pricing from the barber's point of view one might begin to wonder how a guy earns a living giving $20 haircuts. Most of the moderately priced guys are the older ones who have been in the business for a long time, own their shop outright (in most cases crusty but comfortable old buildings or storefronts), have very little overhead and a steady clientele.

The guys who think that they should pay same for a haircut as they doe 10,15, 20 years ago might think different if their salary was frozen for 20 years.

Ive been going to what I would call a, "barbershop lite" (its a barber shop but not an old time one like some of you talk about) and they get $15 for a hair cut, which includes a cut, hot towel, neck shave and 30 second back and shoulder massage.
I always just get a #2 all over, so I have a hard time seeing just what they would be doing that would be worth $35, even with a scalp massage, neck shave, shampoo and shoulder massage.
I mean, I refuse to even get a beard trim, mostly because Im concerned that the barber's vision of what my beard should look like would be different than what mine is and I dont want them hacking into my beard. The hair on my head? Meh, just buzz it with a #2. Quick and easy. My beard? Dont mess with it. LOL

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wanted someone to wash my hair. It may sound funny, but ...

Not funny but ... I can see where that being an option upps the price.

(Back in college days, I had my "regular" barber, back in my home town. Home town was close enough to the college that I'd be back a few times over the school year and all summer, so hair cuts were no problem. My barber was an old-school type who just gave hair cuts. Then I went to a different college far away and spent the summer there ... eventually needed a haircut so looked for a local barber ... ended up walking into this place and ... sitting down in the barber chair, the first thing the guy did was tilt me all the way back and start washing my hair. Not expecting that!! It felt ... expensive. On a student's budget, that was going to be problematic. But I paid and survived and the next time I needed a haircut I was back where I could go to my regular guy.)

one might begin to wonder how a guy earns a living giving $20 haircuts. Most of the moderately priced guys are the older ones who have been in the business for a long time, own their shop outright (in most cases crusty but comfortable old buildings or storefronts), have very little overhead ...

Either they own it or are paying minimal rent on a little hole in the wall. They have the barber chair paid for, and there's really no other overhead. IF you can do three haircuts an hour at $20/per, that's $60/hour ... $120,000 per year gross income.

And really, all the barbers out there have to realise that they are in competition ... not with each other, but with those DIY buzz-cut thingies that can give a guy a haircut anytime he wants for free.

proxy.php

Either they own it or are paying minimal rent on a little hole in the wall. They have the barber chair paid for, and there's really no other overhead. IF you can do three haircuts an hour at $20/per, that's $60/hour ... $120,000 per year gross income.

They probably can't get 3 heads an hour consistently for 40hrs/week. But they do make tips so I suspect you're not too far off on their yearly gross. Now subtract the little overhead they still have... electricity, heat, snow removal, maintenance, etc... then they have to pay for healthcare, retirement, etc. They ain't getting rich... that's for sure.

A couple years ago, it was $12.99 for a men's haircut and $16.99 for a woman's haircut or men's styling. They included a shampoo. Then last year, they went up to $16.99 for everyone. Last month, they jumped to $23.99. I can see why. They used to have 10 hair stylists working at the same time. Now, they have three, but they still must pay rent on the space. Although I can sympathize with their plight, I can't pay to help them. I'm on a fixed income and, if I get my hair cut, I can't eat for five days. So, I bought my own clippers. If my haircuts suck, I can buy a baseball cap.

To save money on water, I only water my front lawn and about a third of the back yard. I grow vegetables in the watered third. I managed to cut my electric bill by a third. Same with my heating bill. For recreation, I do things like paint my house and other projects. I only drive my car about 3,000 miles a year.

I own two pairs of black jeans, six yellow Carhart construction style short sleeve shirts, six pairs of underwear and six pairs of socks. I have a heavy yellow construction jacket and wear layers underneath.

It's not all bad. I'll have enough saved at the end of the year to buy 12 shaving soaps. :)

Top Bottom