What's new

How much do you tip your barber?

How exactly do you tip in a salon and to whom?
I go to a place where pretty girl #1 washes my hair once, pretty girl #2 does the haircut, pretty girl #3 washes my hair a second time giving me a nice massage and girl #2 again styles my hair. And then I pay to the cashier/boss.
What would you do in this case?

You're in the WRONG barbershop...you need to find a barber with hair growing out of his ears...where the smells are Pinaud Clubman Talc, Wahl Clipper Oil, last night's garlic on his fingers, and stale cigar smoke on his clothes. In the middle of your haircut he needs to burp slightly, clear his throat and then say "I'll be right back, I gotta run to the back room and take a dump."

(THEN...you just hope his hands come back smelling like Dial soap)...which they do. Rush Limbaugh is on the radio if it's not baseball season, otherwise it's the Cubs or the Red Sox or some other more local team. As people come in he nods, grunts, and looks over the crowd with really REALLY bushy eyebrows, while he holds forth a discussion on the merits of the Ford 302 vs the Chevy 307.

THAT'S a better experience than having all those "Dumb" good looking girls around...but just in case-- WHERE exactly, is this salon?:lol::lol:

S

sglawrence

Wow! You all make me feel like a dog. I've been going to the same person for more years than I can remember. She always charges $14 and I always give her $15 ($1 tip = 7%). But with me it's the denominations - I don't always have a bunch of singles and I think giving her a 20 would be too much. I may just have to change my ways.

Having put myself through school waiting tables, I have a weak spot for folks who are in similar positions. So I tip $10 on a $40 cut. I'm lucky; I can afford it (though hard work had a wee bit to do with it too...) I feel like I'm giving something back.

Rick

Definitely a cultural thing. I used to go to this place where they used to cut my hair and I never left a tip in two years. I just did not know you were expected to until I saw a guy doing it. Since then I only give them $3. The funny thing is that in my homeland when I pay them $3 dls, the girl (my cousin) feels like it is too much. (I am only giving her 50 cents more than the regular fee)

All kidding aside...I probably tip more on a 12.00 haircut than I would on a 22.00 one-- it only makes sense...it's still 1/2 hour of someone's time, and it seems to me that the rental on the space, tools, etc...that's something the barber made a concious choice-- if it's a high-rent district, he or she will probably have more people in the chair (but not necessarily) . The old guy in the little shop off the beaten path, who still charges 12.00 in a world of 6.00 coffees, probably could use an 8.00 encouragment more than the one who charges nearly twice that but has all these whispy willowy young men, walking around in tight black jeans and black turtlenecks like so many would-be Abercrombie and Fitch models...

You're in the WRONG barbershop...you need to find a barber with hair growing out of his ears...where the smells are Pinaud Clubman Talc, Wahl Clipper Oil, last night's garlic on his fingers, and stale cigar smoke on his clothes. In the middle of your haircut he needs to burp slightly, clear his throat and then say "I'll be right back, I gotta run to the back room and take a dump."

(THEN...you just hope his hands come back smelling like Dial soap)...which they do. Rush Limbaugh is on the radio if it's not baseball season, otherwise it's the Cubs or the Red Sox or some other more local team. As people come in he nods, grunts, and looks over the crowd with really REALLY bushy eyebrows, while he holds forth a discussion on the merits of the Ford 302 vs the Chevy 307.

THAT'S a better experience than having all those "Dumb" good looking girls around...but just in case-- WHERE exactly, is this salon?:lol::lol:

I go to one more like Mr Gillette but would be interested in checking out this one of Tarzan's. :biggrin:

I use a coupon that gives $4 off a cut, making it $9. I pay as if I did not have a coupon. I figure this puts a little more in the pocket of the person doing the work.

I go to one more like Mr Gillette but would be interested in checking out this one of Tarzan's. :biggrin:

Oh, I went to one of those a bunch of times...they'd press themselves into me as they cut, sort of straddle my legs, put their boobs on my shoulder, in my ear...

...oh wait...that was that Exotic Dancer place. Sorry:lol::lol::lol:

I'm also lucky I live in a country where we don't do tipping. You do see the odd coffee shop or bar with a tips jar but they are almost always empty. It's more like a "I can't be bothered having pockets full of change so I'll chuck it in here" jar. I guess "Tips" is easier to write on the label. If you go to any place that serves tourists though they will be more likely to try to get tips from them since the tourists don't know any better!

So a 'tip' for any Yanks coming to visit NZ, don't tip! Have a break from it all! Go on, you know you want to!

Simon

Having put myself through school waiting tables, I have a weak spot for folks who are in similar positions. So I tip $10 on a $40 cut. I'm lucky; I can afford it (though hard work had a wee bit to do with it too...) I feel like I'm giving something back.

Rick

I got my stint at tending bar, waiting tables, working retail, and delivering stuff while working my way through school too. I usually tip generously, too, probably because of that.

In fact, I was thinking the other day that everybody should be required to have a service industry job of some kind for at least a couple of months. It seems like I can usually spot somebody who never has.

Top Bottom