What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

I had my second shave with Mr. Scheerstick and he told me that I can feel free to call him Raser since we are obviously on such friendly terms. I believe I'll be seeing him daily this week so that he can go into the post on Saturday after Friday's shave and a chance to dry out before hopping back into his pill bottle accommodations.

I really like using this stick. It is easy to apply and I get gobs of slick and comfortable lather which leads to a most excellent shave.

Raser is featured in this picture along with Le Grelot, Alt Innsbruck, and Thater 4125. If you look closely you can see my Pilot Vanishing Point is in a supporting role!

Attachments

• $SOTD 06:12:2012 sepia.jpg
    $SOTD 06:12:2012 sepia.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 227
I dont want to sound soapsist, but are all shave sticks booze hounds? :lol:

I have two of Cherry's kids, Cherry Jr. and Barbershop. They both drink just like their father does, at least a fifth a night. They are also rabble-rousers but they don't have near the number of kids that Raiser's father does. As for Raiser's father P. Palmolive Sr. he isn't much of a drinker but he does have 63 million children by 21 million women with kids from Dubai to London and Halifax to Los Angeles.

Cherry was a fighter. Most would have given up at 45 shaves, but Cherry died just the same as he lived: kicking and screaming every step of the way. Never have I seen another shave stick so rage against the dying of the light. But in the end, nothing was left except for the faint scent of cherry throat lozenges. He is shaving with Cooncat Bob, now.

The final count was 47.

Gents, we mustered a royal welcome for de heer Scheerstick upon his arrival today. There was even a small parade, with much of the neighborhood turning out in their fanciest dress to do him honor. I believe we had well over 1000 good shaves in this procession.

In fact I was worried about overwhelming him: there are simply so many of his relatives around here. So I instructed most of them to stay home. He will meet the others soon enough, after he has rested from his journey. In any event I believe he enjoyed the attention, and he was able to greet several long-lost cousins. He seemed especially pleased to meet Mr. Opal, who led the parade. Both made jokes about their names, and then announced that they would call each other "Opie" and "Ollie" - to avoid confusion.

Anyway, while my new guest is resting I would like to check on a couple of points. We are doing 5 shaves each, correct? And does the count now stand at 10?

Possibly of greater moment, how do folks feel about including this stick in the measurements thread at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295302-Shaving-analytics? Would posting daily measurements drain the sense of mystery out of the stick pass? If so, I could delay publication until we have a final count. Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents, we mustered a royal welcome for de heer Scheerstick upon his arrival today. There was even a small parade, with much of the neighborhood turning out in their fanciest dress to do him honor. I believe we had well over 1000 good shaves in this procession.

In fact I was worried about overwhelming him: there are simply so many of his relatives around here. So I instructed most of them to stay home. He will meet the others soon enough, after he has rested from his journey. In any event I believe he enjoyed the attention, and he was able to greet several long-lost cousins. He seemed especially pleased to meet Mr. Opal, who led the parade. Both made jokes about their names, and then announced that they would call each other "Opie" and "Ollie" - to avoid confusion.

Anyway, while my new guest is resting I would like to check on a couple of points. We are doing 5 shaves each, correct? And does the count now stand at 10?

Possibly of greater moment, how do folks feel about including this stick in the measurements thread at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295302-Shaving-analytics? Would posting daily measurements drain the sense of mystery out of the stick pass? If so, I could delay publication until we have a final count. Your thoughts?

The count stands at five. I sent bbarton the stick unused (I already have another Palmolive stick open). We are doing five shaves each.

I for one have read your measurements thread with interest. I don't see why you shouldn't post daily as you have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ollie and I went for a horseback ride today, then cleared some stubble. He reminds me of the other members of the family: straightforward and unassuming, but gets things done. I will post more details on the analytics thread, but the razor was a NEW De Luxe three-piece in chrome (Belmont, Criterion, or something of that ilk) with a vintage Schick stainless on its second shave, and the brush was a BGS2012 with the faux-ivory handle and natural horsehair knot. Rather than use one of my own aftershaves, I splashed on some witch hazel and then tried a decant of "Guerlain MdM" that Ollie offered. I think it is "Mouchoir de Monsieur"? Which way to Whitechapel?

Anyway it was a DFS, and I trust Ollie enjoyed it as much as I did.

Today Ollie and I had a nice shave with a Rooney 3/1 finest, that same NEW De Luxe, and another vintage Schick stainless blade. It was a very pleasant morning, although apparently I loaded a little more soap on my face than usual and felt just a hint of the Palmolive burn that some folks report.

Afterward I tried the decant labelled "Red Musk" - not sure what the full product name is? Interesting stuff: oily, and started with a cloying note - maybe candied orange peel? After a few minutes it has settled to a purer musk, at least to my uneducated nose.

Back to the natural horse today, and a DFS. I have plenty of Palmolive sticks - why do I use it so seldom?

Afterward I tried a decant that with a cryptic label - maybe "Amberi Musk Tigerfly"? Anyway it is not for me.

This was shave #9, so tomorrow will close out my turn. I am waiting for an address from Pozzska: PM sent yesterday, but I think he has not been online for a couple of days.

It has been fun, thanks. After checking through the other labels I think "Tigerfly" is really "Tigerflag": http://www.tigerflag.com/ - but it does not really matter because they seem to be out of business now. Today I chose something labeled "Pino Fifty" - I suppose it is the Silvestre fragrance. I detect some patchouli and citrus. It reminds me a little of D.R. Harris Marlborough, but I think I prefer this one. Still, neither one quite right for me.

Anyway, the count is now 10. I helped Ollie pack his bags, and he if off to visit PozzSka in Ohio.

3 shaves in, Ollie is performing well and gets along splendidly with all of the brushes in my den.

I will solicit Bobtrumpet's mailing info, and prepare for his next trip after 2 more shaves...

Top Bottom