What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

I also would like to thank Sue from Honeybee for donating the shave stick and Koso's prize. If someone would like to donate a prize for the Palmolive shave stick pass-around he/she is welcome to, please PM me regarding any donations. We also would like more people to sign up to use P. Palmolive. I am sure from past experience that this stick will last for more than three people's use.

I'll join in with the Palmolive (although I've found my shaves are better with creams).

I'll guess 48 shaves, if that number is still available.

We are through the list. Since Cherry is so close to being consumed I would say why not let Koso finish him off? If there were more shave stick remaining I would attempt to find a few more participants but since the stick is down to its last 3-5 shaves anyway IMO it isn't worth the postage or the time to find more participants here.

How would people here feel about a Palmolive EU stick as the next stick in this thread? I happen to have an extra and would be willing to part with it to keep this thread going. I know merchants and soap makers have donated the soaps used here to this point but other than maybe St. Charles (Sue) and Mystic Waters (Michelle) we have pretty much depleted our possible volunteer list. Of course if Sue or Michelle chime in here with a donation I wouldn't turn it down -- in that case I can hold on to my stick for later or we can have two sticks in the next pass-around installment.

We have had some donated. The first two contests I purchased the soaps and the prizes. This thread has definitely evolved. The first two sticks weren't even passed. I finished those myself. I got so tired of using the same two sticks I vowed to not do so again. Thus, the soap pass came about for the next stick (Lil' Tabacy if I recall correctly). The passes are more fun and everyone gets to try a new product. I like the idea of a European Palmolive and how the "personality" of our new friend may develop. It's always fun to see the spin you guys put on the personality of the soap.

I hope Koso keeps an accurate count in finishing off Cherry. I would be interested in an exact count to finish.

Wet the stick, wet your face, rub stick on face,wet brush, swirl on face to build the lather.

Very succinct and well said. I might add, "swirl a lot." It might take several minutes to build the lather you want. Also, you may have to dip your brush just a little in the sink water to get the consistency of your lather the way you like it. After a week or two you will have the hang of face lathering and the use of shave sticks.

I am in for the next pass. If interest is low, our trail boss might mention a new contest (shave stick pass) in the general forum to generate some new participants. I'm going to go with 90. And, depending on the number of participants we get, I don't think it would be a bad idea to let everyone have up to 8 to 10 shaves. I don't mind if I don't get a turn as I have a Palmolive in the shave den already. More shaves between passes will help move our contest along a little quicker.

I will add that I would like to go right after Bobtrumpet. We are both in Dallas and transmission time would be greatly shortened in allowing men in the same cities use the soap one after another.

I wonder if Frosty has seen Distraction Girl.................

And, I just realized, this thread had a birthday on the 28th. Our little corner of B&B is 4 years old now. :)

Waiting for distraction. Not to be a wet noodle, but I've tried the Palmolive Stick, definitely a good latherer, but not my fragrance. Notwithstanding my lack of enthusiasm, Please Count Me In. I would guess 65.

I will add that I would like to go right after Bobtrumpet. We are both in Dallas and transmission time would be greatly shortened in allowing men in the same cities use the soap one after another.

That is how it worked out anyway but I saw that you were from Texas and had the same thought. Maybe bobtrumpet can meet you somewhere in town and save himself $5.15.

One other item of business. I do need to limit the US participant list to ten if we are going to do five shaves each. I am working on the educated assumption that the stick will last between 60-70 shaves and the Canadian and Mexican residents in this pass-around need to get their turns as well. We have one Canadian and no Mexican residents on the list at the current time. I think two Canadians participated last time so I am basing my calculations on that.

Since P. Palmolive really wants to spend some time in Mexico (and the stick will be in Texas anyway), I am requesting at least one person from Mexico please participate. Cabo would be nice but anywhere in Mexico is OK.:thumbup1:

Here is the current list:

US Residents
1. bbarton713, Myrtle Beach, SC
2. mblakele, San Francisco, CA
3. Pozzska, Valley City, OH
4. bobtrumpet, Dallas, TX
5. texascattlerancher, Dallas, TX
6. Darjeeling Express, location unknown

Canadian Residents
1. Bacchus, Oakville, ON

Mexican Residents
None at the current time.

Last edited:
From what I can tell Tabac and Arlington lasted the longest and were generally universally praised.

Are those the favorites to this point? What else is as good, better?

I also would like to thank Sue from Honeybee for donating the shave stick and Koso's prize. If someone would like to donate a prize for the Palmolive shave stick pass-around he/she is welcome to, please PM me regarding any donations. We also would like more people to sign up to use P. Palmolive. I am sure from past experience that this stick will last for more than three people's use.

Many thanks from me as well!

I'm gonna pass on the Palmolive as it's a regular in my rotation. A couple years ago when they were talking about removing the tallow I stocked up enough to get through the zombie shavpocalypse.

P. Palmolive is packed and ready for his trip. Monday morning he will start for Myrtle Beach. I hear there are a lot of bikini-clad college girls there for him to enjoy.

I will leave this open to new participants for the time being. Please note that we have six US participants and P. Palmolive can handle four more before he flies to Mexico (no takers so far) and Canada (one participant so far).

...in finishing off Cherry. I would be interested in an exact count to finish.

Gents, I hesitate to bother you with my troubles or distract you from the upcoming Palmolive debut. But I am worried about Cherry. He seems to be pining away without ready access to gambling parlors or bars that allow smoking.

I admit I have not had much time for him since his arrival last week, and it pains me to be such a poor host. This morning he looked so drawn that I had to insist on medical attention. The nurse could not persuade him to take off his boots, but without his hat and overcoat he came in at 23-g. Allowing 10-g for the boots, I believe that he is not long for this world. I wish I could persuade him to take exercise, but it is almost impossible to persuade him to leave the safety of these four walls. He sleeps fitfully, with a muttering narrative about various enemies who might be on his trail.

The count is now 37. Barring unexpected developments I will post another update in about a week.

Gents, I hesitate to bother you with my troubles or distract you from the upcoming Palmolive debut. But I am worried about Cherry. He seems to be pining away without ready access to gambling parlors or bars that allow smoking.

I admit I have not had much time for him since his arrival last week, and it pains me to be such a poor host. This morning he looked so drawn that I had to insist on medical attention. The nurse could not persuade him to take off his boots, but without his hat and overcoat he came in at 23-g. Allowing 10-g for the boots, I believe that he is not long for this world. I wish I could persuade him to take exercise, but it is almost impossible to persuade him to leave the safety of these four walls. He sleeps fitfully, with a muttering narrative about various enemies who might be on his trail.

The count is now 37. Barring unexpected developments I will post another update in about a week.

One thing you can say about Cherry is that while he lived hard he has willingly spent himself for his friends.

I prefer Arly to Tabac, but Tabac is probably a better value. However I do not limit myself to commercial sticks. As long as you do not mind the extra work, I think it is a better value to buy pucks of whatever you like, and stickify them.

Each of those green tubes is an empty Brut deodorant stick with a shaving soap inside it. So I have sticks of AoS, IK, PSGT, Calani, MWF....

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I'm planning to do with some AOS soaps, when they get halfway down roll em to fit a Harris container.
Cella may work like that also.

Nice pic.

I'd love to be a part of this run as I would hate to ruin my streak of stick passes. I guess 43 in the little Palomino.

Top Bottom