What's new

How Many Guys Have You Converted to Traditional Shaving?

I'm just curious.

How many guys, or gals, have you converted to traditional shaving techniques and vintage equipment?

I myself have 2.
My stepdad, who hasn't plunged into shaving with his Gillette SS yet, but hes all about the brush and MWF!

A dude my wife knew back in the day (grr) through Facebook postings. I was even gracious enough to PIF him some blades and soap. Only problem is, we live near the same antique stores!

So, how many guys, or gals have you converted?

Five so far. I put together shaving sets for graduation and birthday gifts. The number should be 6 in a month when a good friend's son graduates. The gifts have always been well received and used.

I'm sitting at two as well. My best friend and my brother. They're not like me constantly looking at new stuff, and honestly that's probably for the best for them. Besides, they have me and not in much need of stuff as I'm usually giving them something often. :lol:

One friend for sure. He was glad to find out about it because of skin sensitivity, shaving was murder for him. Now it's much more enjoyable. He uses PdP.

Maybe two brothers-in-law (got them using KMF and Bic single-blade disposables for starters). Also maybe my father-in-law -- he used injectors back in the day and may start again.

I've got 2. I bought my two best friends each a cheap vdh boar brush and big tube of proraso cream (bigelow brand from bath & body works) and they both thoroughly enjoy using them. both agree that their shave is closer than using a regular canned foam.

I'm working on converting them to DE razors but I don't have the money to buy them a razor each, cuz I know they won't buy one themselves. lol

I've converted one elderly man without him knowing it, he's getting a DE razor as a birthday present from his son (my work colleague) and another guy in work is considering a move because he's so mad about prices for carts and watching Tiger Woods et al. getting well paid for his adverts.

I've tried to convert a number of guys - friends, relatives, and people at work. They never seem interested, so I've decided to keep my mouth shut.

I can't even make any progress using the "thrift" angle. Many of you here know that the "thrift" of classic wet-shaving is debatable at best, but my prospective targets don't.

Why is this so difficult?

I've found that not many people really care enough. I guess it's one of those things that you don't know what you're missing out on until you give it a go

I'm quite surprised by some answers here. When I'm talking about traditionnal shaving to other guys, most of them are really interrested. They are not satisfied with the price of current cartridges and irritations. When I told them they can solve that with old razors, and why it is so with new ones, they like the idea.

By now, I have converted 2 guys, an old friend of mine and the husband of a friend of my girlfriend. And now, I am converting a previous colleague. Each time, I am loaning razors, brushes and sometimes soaps for them to try them without spending money. Also, I send them an email with advices explaining almost everything to shave with efficency.

Two on the way - SWMBO got a set for her birthday today )Lady Gillette, TOBS Avocado and brush) and I mailed one to my brotehr in Sweden today (EJ89, EH Best Badger, Mama Bears B&B LE, Proraso tube, Arlington Tube, and some other stuff) sure he get hooked, he got same problem with rashes on lower neck as I do, but worse.

I'm quite surprised by some answers here. When I'm talking about traditionnal shaving to other guys, most of them are really interrested. They are not satisfied with the price of current cartridges and irritations. When I told them they can solve that with old razors, and why it is so with new ones, they like the idea.

By now, I have converted 2 guys, an old friend of mine and the husband of a friend of my girlfriend. And now, I am converting a previous colleague. Each time, I am loaning razors, brushes and sometimes soaps for them to try them without spending money. Also, I send them an email with advices explaining almost everything to shave with efficency.

I've found people are interested, but not enough to go buy their own kit, and I don't really have enough to start lending things out. Maybe I should buy another razor.. :laugh:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
2 1/2. Two good friends who I wasn't even trying to convert. They heard me talking to someone about straight and DE razors, then they got interested and got really cheap sets from someone. I gave one my old Vulfix to replace his shedder, sold the other a like new Parker DE, then gave the first one an EJDE89L on approval, if he likes it he can have it for what I paid.

The 1/2 was already using an old brush and soap, but had the saddest sob story I ever heard: his wife bought bags of the cheap Bic disposables and he was allowed 1 a month (nearly brought tears to my eyes). I bought him a Vulfix on BST and gave him my 1955 Flair Tip SS; he's much happier now.

I'm printing up tracts for the Cult of the DE as the One True Faith to hand out at the mall this weekend. :w00t:

Top Bottom