What's new

How many shaves before rehoning.

More than one pass would subject the blade to more wear. If you have Kevlar whiskers, stropping between passes might yield some benefit. Honing, however, falls clearly into the "if it rings your bells" territory.

I know on my 2nd pass I am still cutting whiskers.

So where does stropping with paste fall in? Is it honing between shaves or just normal maintenance?

I am going to push my Bema to see when it would need to be honed, but if you count aftershave it would be four shaves. If you count passes it is eight.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but once a razor reaches a point that leather alone isn't enough to get it shaving, how far back do you need to go to bring the edge back?

I'm assuming that the bevel is still set and a high-grit stone will suffice?...or do you need to go back further?

I know you've already gotten one answer, but I will chime in. I once was a "refresh on the finishing hone" kinda guy. I have found that this is inadequate. Going back to 8kish will get it done, but honestly I go back further. I usually start on a soft ark that is dressed with 600 grit w/d paper. Doesn't take many laps, less than 100. Then off I go through the progression.

I have experimented with this a bit, and I have found that going back further than you think you have to provides benefits and saves time. I'm not really talking about a full bevel set, not at all. But probably the stone you use just after bevel set for 100 laps or so.

I can probably get 50 shaves from an edge maybe more, maybe 100, but I never let the things get dull.
I enjoy a freshly stoned edge and usually take the razors to the stones every couple of months.

Depends on the quality of the edge. A great edge lasts more shaves than an OK edge. As my edges have improved, the number of shaves has increased. But then I like to hone, so for some razors I hone before its needed to try different things.

Top Bottom