What's new

Poll: How a many shaves with a Feather?

What are some of you doing? Scratching the on cement?
I can’t speak for others, but the first shave is sublime probably due to the new micro bevel and PTFE sitting on top of it. On the second shave you already feel the raw and already (slightly) deteriorated edge, especially after performing three passes. For this reason alone I totally understand others if they use a blade only once.

Using a DE blade multiple times is like shaving with a straight razor without stropping it.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I can’t speak for others, but the first shave is sublime probably due to the new micro bevel and PTFE sitting on top of it. On the second shave you already feel the raw and already (slightly) deteriorated edge, especially after performing three passes. For this reason alone I totally understand others if they use a blade only once.

Using a DE blade multiple times is like shaving with a straight razor without stropping it.
Understood and appreciated, but you're speaking to ALL de blades in your realm, correct. Not only to Feather blades?

If anyone bins a blade after one shave that's, obviously, their own darn business. But the "one and doners" do seem to be in the minority.

I get one insane shave. The second is great. At this point the blade can be tossed. The third shave is good. After this it's done.

Speaking only for myself, although others may agree with me, the best shaves with a safety razor blade are for me usually shave number two and three.

I regularly shave with straight razors too and that may have taught me how important a pre-shave routine is.
It does not have to be overly complex, but facial skin and hair need IMO time to absorb moisture and soften.
Once that is done, a straight or double edge blade with slice facial hair much better and also last much longer.

Like many things in shaving, how long a safety razor blade lasts needs to be seen in context and results vary considerably based on preparation, shaving technique, soap/cream used and IMO only lastly on individual hair growth. I suspect that many shavers who complain that their “copper wire beard” ruins a blade in one or two shaves have actually a poor pre-shave prep and poor technique.

But that is a personal thing that falls under the YMMV umbrella and is hard to prove.

Getting seven shaves out of a Feather blade is for me the rule, not an exception.

B.

Last edited:
It does not have to be overly complex, but facial skin and hair need IMO time to absorb moisture and soften.
Once that is done, a straight or double edge blade with slice facial hair much better and also last much longer.
I only quoted this part because I think it is the most important one, but I agree with everything else you said, even the part where you stated shave number 2 and 3 are the best (I heard this often from others) for you.

Now, if I don’t have time to prepare my face and beard before shaving, I better don’t don’t shave at all. If I would really have to shave without preparing before, that shave is guaranteed to be uncomfortable and as you said, it will quickly ruin the edge. All this will be accompanied by the audible feedback from the blade.

My pre-shaving routine takes me as much as it takes to actually shave and it includes 3 stages: hot water, pre-shaving cream/balm/oil, pre-lather.

Top Bottom