What's new

How many DEs/SEs in your den

How many DEs/SEs do you own

• Total voters
1.Feather Asd1 + ikon deluxe oc baseplate.
2.FOCS + spare.
3.37c.
4.Pre war English tech.
5.1940’s superspeed.

Numbers 4 and 5 are thrown in the kitchen draw unused for at least a decade.
1 and 2 are my main razors. The 37c is used if we have prolonged cold weather and I have a week’s, fortnights growth. Before I bought the FOCS I used the ASD1 ikon combo exclusively for roughly 11 years. It’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever buy another razor, unless they bring out a titanium ASD1 or FOCS.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I must have over 50 razors by now, but only 40 are in my razor racks that will be used in the year. It is hard for a new razor to get a placement in my razor racks because the competition is stiff and any new razor that gets used will possibly be placed in them. When they leave the racks they kind of go into storage and I might bring them out once in a while. Some razors will of coarse get used more than others but that has been my usage curve of them. My new DE Razorock Lupo.72 gets used 1 once a week but over a year it is 52 times and so on. I use mostly SE safety razors 66% of the times and my DE razors the remaining basically. I recently won a TARMAX DE razor by Tom White and that one will get used more because it shaves well, Jim Roe made a great case for it and I like using it. Some folks might think why not just buy one or two but it seems from my experiences the the modern razor manufactures come out with a new model every few years and a person might find that razor works well. It's a moving target finding a balance for a fellow who likes variety, approximately 3/4 of my razors are vintage and still work well & a few proto types with cutting edge technology in this interesting Hobby of mine. I have had other hobby's that were a lot more expensive to do like Scuba diving, Travelling, Cell phones .........!

Last edited:
Definitely more than I need, and probably more than I want. Some I would never use again and just take up space, but I cannot in all good conscience sell them (i'm talking about you Parthenon V1) and some I would never part with even they don't see a lot of use.

Just 1. I've purchased a lot of products thru the years but the one constant has been my EJ DE89. Was my first DE safety razor. I learned to shave with it. I know I've said it before around here but I've dialed in my technique so well using my knurled DE89 that I can't imagine a cleaner shave using something else. The emergence in recent years of more readily available and affordable stainless steel has made it hard though. I've wanted a milled SS razor for as long as I can remember.
I went from a DE89 to a Gamechanger.68sb and to me it felt very similar maybe even a little bit smoother and a little more efficient if you're after a stainless.As always YMMV.

SE- Rolls razor / GEM 1912 / Supply V2 (not for me)
DE- DE89 / Muhle R89 / 2 70s Spiral Techs / Pre-war fat handle Tech / Gillette NEW LC / Gillette Old Type / Wade and Butcher old type dupe
3 straight razors- Le Grelot / Ralf Aust / Gold Dollar 208

14 razors in total. Never actually tallied it. The only one I don't use regularly is the Supply V2. One day I'll give it another chance. I don't hate it. Just spent the most on it (besides 2 of my straight razors) and it didn't blow my socks off. My other razors I got for very little money.

Reactions: GNR
I consider this first year my experimental phase (that's my excuse anyway). I am sharing the razors and experience with 2 sons; and my wife has taken the Leaf :).

There are currently 30 razors in the house, and that seems excessive. However, my sons will be moving out soon, so some of the razors will as well. I have begun thinning the herd through sales, PIFs, and gifts. There are 15 I will likely be keeping.

Well, if you're sharing with your two sons and wife, that's not even 8 razors per person in the household 😂

Thankfully RAD hasn't hit me too much, I'm content with one SE and one DE. Now brushes and soap on the other hand, those have been a runaway train!

Good thing this poll is for SEs/DEs only and not about software.

Reactions: ewk
Thanks for all the responses so far, this is fun to watch.

Looks like 2 to 5 and 10 to 25 are the early leaders for the count of SEs/DEs.

What do we “need” to do to…”pump up those SE numbers?”
I’m off to look for my enabling cape, I hate when my wife hides my outfits.
Well if you want to get technical, nitpicky and/or split hairs shavettes and straights could theoretically be considered SE razors. If we go that route then I have 1 SE razor (shavette) and 14 DEs but using the traditional B&B metrics of DE/SE/SR then my original answer stands. There was a listing on that auction site that I came close to getting that had an auto strop SE and another razor (maybe a tech but I can’t remember now) for like $16 but otherwise I haven’t been tempted to get any SEs. And the main reason I was thinking about getting that particular set was for the other razor. The auto strop would have just been a nice bonus

Last edited:
Currently I only have 4 De razors.

Timeless SS .95
Rex Ambassador
Blackland Blackbird
Executive Shaving Outlaw

I don't have the RAD addiction like many others and feel only a couple of razors is a good collection.

I have 7 razors and one additional combination razor.

I've kept my razor purchase in check (so far) and I'm looking for 2 more additions whenever budget allows.

A simple way to keep track of my Den items, it also helps me keep my purchases in check.

This is my first year and so far it is a smooth ride with the guidance and knowledge of the fellow members.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It is hard for a new razor to get a placement in my razor racks because the competition is stiff
(...)
I use mostly SE safety razors 66% of the times

For me it is rather a question of physical space. I want them in one cabinet, and it's... filled to the brink. I mean I sort razors with 85mm handles next to those with 100mm+, so that I can place them under and above other razors. :117:

I did not want to start "another front" with SE razors so far, but if I would... what are your favorite SE razors? I am also hesitant because I already have too many DE blades. I heard SE razor performance depends even more on the blades?

Just throw me the names of 1-2 SE razors and blades I could use with them, if you don't mind! It would be appreciated! :thumbup1:

Just curious, after your journey, what razor has you content now?
About 85-90 of my shaves her with my DE 89-I do very blades from Derby mild and smooth to feather and everything from Cremo to MWF for shave lather - I find blades and shave soap/cream variations pretty much Give me everything from a mild shave to a very close shave

In order of purchase:

Merkur 34c. Now my travel razor. Not in rotation.

Timeless SS .68SB
ATT SSR1
Tatara Masamune SB

I use the last three about equally and am very happy with each of them. I may get a Timeless .95 SB (either SS or Ti) sometime for no real reason. If I don’t, then I don’t.

Top Bottom