What's new

how long goes the NEW blade?

I´ve found this package of 2 NEW Gillette blades. They have the date code "O2" and the patent number 2038415, what date the blade in 1944. I didn´t know, that the NEW blades runs into WWII. Can anybody help with the timeline of the NEW blades?

proxy.php

Nice find, Achim. I see http://www.google.com/patents/US2038415 relates to hardening the edges and the rest of the blade to different degrees, so the blade can flex more easily. The patent would have been valid until early 1950. The same patent number also appeared on Thin blades, as no doubt you know.

The design of that "2 for 10 cents" retail card looks older than 1944. The blade printing and wrappers also hark back to the 1930 blades, except that they cite a 1936 patent. But the blades themselves look just like the O-3 "Gillette Blade" from your site:

Do you suppose this might have been a wartime economy? We know how Gillette hated to waste anything. Maybe they found a stack of leftover NEW cards somewhere, dusted off some old plates and made a batch of blade wrappers to match, then filled them with the same "Gillette Blade" that they were already making?

Or perhaps the "Gillette Blade" was ready before the packaging was finished, so they updated some old labels in a rush to market?

Top Bottom