What's new

How long does it take you to shave?

I'm in the 15 minute range from when I get everything out to final cleanup for a normal shave. I can do it in less than 5 minutes if I'm in a rush, but that would have to be a brushless cream, like Cremo, and a sensor xl cart razor.

I much prefer my standard 15 minute DE shave with brush to the quick version though.

The shave itself maybe 5 to 7 minutes? I'll have to time it one of these days.

I wash my face with lots of hot soapy water. Nothing fancy, just liquid soap and a good rinse. Then I face-lather with a Simpson Berkeley and Arco stick. I immediately shave one pass wtg and rinse... Dry my face with a towel followed by a reckless splash of Skin Bracer and I'm DONE

A close, comfortable shave is what I go for. Not concerned about BBS or a shadow later in the day. I have a coarse beard but just not necessary for my cheeks/jaw to feel like a Cub Scout's. It looks clean when I'm done and I feel refreshed.

After the shave I wipe the razor down (avoiding water spots / soap residue), Shake out excess water and wipe the brush handle, dry the Old Spice mug (avoid water spots or soap residue). Every 7 days I change the blade, otherwise it's never disassembled.

- ATT Kronos H1 (Astra Platinum blade)
- Arko stick
- Simpson Berkeley
- 1940's Old Spice Mug (to soak the brush as I prep my face with a soapy wash)
- Skin Bracer aftershave

The best I can figure is it takes me a bit less than 30 minutes. It depends on whether I'm having one of those zen moments or not while I'm massaging in my aftershave.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Not long. I do single pass with a straight razor. The prep and cleanup are considerably longer than the shave itself. When I first started probably about 30 minutes. I’ve likely cut that in half now.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Between 10-15 minutes if we're including occasionally changing the blade (with a quick razor cleaning with old toothbrush), shaving, clean up, WH, balm, deodorant, Q-tip outside of ears, comb hair.

Give or take: 40 - 45 minutes.

When I shave I do a face and head shave.

I use a razor blade 3-4 times before I discard.

With new blade closer to 45 minutes.

2nd, 3rd, 4th blade use closer to 40 minutes.

Let's call it 15mins -
Roughly 10min to perform a 2-pass SR shave plus a single-pass touchup with a DE or BIC Metal.
A couple mins to hydrate a brush and a couple mins to rinse down and wipe the counter dry.
I use the same soap per SOTM so it's readily available.

Something like:
full

Being retired, I am in no rush to shave quickly--unless I have an early morning medical appointment--so I enjoy my time. From prep, through final clean up, my total daily shave time runs about 20 minutes.

for me....about 30 to 40 mins start to finish.
I like to take my time and enjoy each step.
Currently Im not using my straights, (as i need to set up a balsa strop and sourcing materials here is not proving easy so just need to get around to ordering from the US thanks a DrMatt) but still using a dispoable straight or a feather in my Goodfella.
I wash my face, apply a preshave oil, then enjoy lathering and really taking time to work it. Then one pass WTG but going over same area a few times.
Splash lukewarm water to rinse, then clean equipment and dry brush. Then apply some skin food. If I have a tonic then I apply that first.
As Im in Japan no strong aftershave allowed but tbh ive been wearing some Juniper Sling.

Total time for tonight's shave was 5 minutes. I used a brushless cream and only did 1 pass. I will estimate less than 10 minutes total if using a brush.

Top Bottom