What's new

How long can a Zamak razor last?

Tbh, a Fatip razor made of brass is almost the same price as a zamak razor.

Well, you can't really compare Fatip with EJ, Muehle, or even Merkur as far as finishes go. Performance is fine, as it usually is with anything that keeps a blade in place, they shave just fine, but the finishes are awful. My new Fatip started to lose the plating on the handle after few uses. I personally prefer EJ quality, even if it might not last as long as the Fatip. Used my DE89 for some months and didn't show any signs of wear.

The lasting time is subjective. I personally don't see any problem in a $30 razor breaking in 2-3 years. With good, common care, it can last longer, but I wouldn't mind replacing it. If that would happen with a $200 razor, I would have a problem with it. But at this low price point, I don't mind at all. They are not really consumables either, as they have the capacity to last many years, based on how you care for it.

Depending on one's age, Zamak lasting a lifetime can have different expectations. I am in my mid 50's and expect my Zamak razors to last my lifetime.

Well, you can't really compare Fatip with EJ, Muehle, or even Merkur as far as finishes go. Performance is fine, as it usually is with anything that keeps a blade in place, they shave just fine, but the finishes are awful.

The finish of a razor does not give a good or bad shave. I would rather shave with an ugly razor that does not give me irritation...than with a beauty that leaves my face in tatters. But I guess this is the ultimate YMMV.

The lasting time is subjective. I personally don't see any problem in a $30 razor breaking in 2-3 years. With good, common care, it can last longer, but I wouldn't mind replacing it. If that would happen with a $200 razor, I would have a problem with it. But at this low price point, I don't mind at all. They are not really consumables either, as they have the capacity to last many years, based on how you care for it.

You have a point here. If you really love a razor, and the only option is zamak, then you gotta roll the dice and hope for the best. If the worst happens, another $30 (less than that since you can buy a new r41 head for around $20) will get you up and running again. But all of this does not make zamak the best material to make a razor.

And zamak razors are not exactly cheap (inexpensive). The R41 sell for at least $50 (Maggard sells them for $56-$75). Compare that price to what stainless steel 6S will cost you (which come with a total of 3 plates).

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The finish of a razor does not give a good or bad shave. I would rather shave with an ugly razor that does not give me irritation...than with a beauty that leaves my face in tatters. But I guess this is the ultimate YMMV.

You have a point here. If you really love a razor, and the only option is zamak, then you gotta roll the dice and hope for the best. If the worst happens, another $30 (less than that since you can buy a new r41 head for around $20) will get you up and running again. But all of this does not make zamak the best material to make a razor.

And zamak razors are not exactly cheap (inexpensive). The R41 sell for at least $50 (Maggard sells them for $56-$75). Compare that price to what stainless steel 6S will cost you (which come with a total of 3 plates).

Just to add unlike Fatip the finish on a zamak better be pretty darn good it's the only protection it has. I have two chrome fatips and from what I can tell the chrome is as good as Merkur and not as good as Muhle. I've heard of the gunmetal finish on Fatips wearing off. Not sure of the nickel...love my piccolo. The thing is the design of the Fatip is pretty darn good. Right now I have been getting the best shaves of my life ever. In my little world that means a lot, and leads me to conclude they not only rival Merkur and Muhle for me they are surpassing them in razor design. Don't get me wrong I love my zamak razor's...just saying.

I own a Merkur 37 slant razor since 2007. I shaved with it almost daily, no problems with it yet. Do not store the razor for a longer time in a cold place like an attic etc. Zamak doesn't like low temperature. Otherwise I see no problem with zamak razors.

Last edited:
It depends on how often you use it. I would expect a zamak razor to last around ten years if it's regularly used. But I imagine it could last longer, if you're lucky and take really good care of it. Personally, I'd rather buy a razor once and have it last me a lifetime. I don't necessarily have anything against zamak razors, as long as the price is reasonable (the R41 should be cheaper, imo) and I hate when companies don't advertise what metal they use (like they're afraid to tell you). I'd rather buy a plastic razor than a zamak one. Plastic is even cheaper and will last forever, as long as you don't strip the threading by over-tightening the handle or have the metal thread come off due to cheap adhesive.

Last edited:
I meant to say up to ten years, obviously. I think a lot of the vintage zamak razors that are still around in mint condition haven't been used much and it's not necessarily a testament to how durable they are. Just saying.

I disassemble every razor to clean it after my shave.

Why would this could cause any problem?
It won't. Some might argue that disassembling the razor will ruin the plating on the threads, but it's better than not cleaning the razor and risking the plating elsewhere as well as on the threads from water and soap residue.

I understand those made with Stainless Steel or Brass materials can last a lifetime.
How about those razors that made of zamak with chrome plating last? If chrome plating wear out, the Zamak will corrode & beyond any repair, correct?!

Zamak razors can last more than our lifetimes with proper care. And while it is a more involved/expensive process, early catches of coating loss CAN be corrected/restored. Once significant corrosion has taken hold, however, a replacement must be sought.

Zamak razors can last more than our lifetimes with proper care. And while it is a more involved/expensive process, early catches of coating loss CAN be corrected/restored. Once significant corrosion has taken hold, however, a replacement must be sought.
Exactly this. Also, I second the first sentence.

Top Bottom