What's new

How long can a Zamak razor last?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I see your point. But I also find it curious that just because others point out that a zamak razor isn't as durable as a stainless or brass razor that they are hating on the zamak products. Most are not. They are simply pointing out that the materials it is built with are not as durable.

I've only had one modern zamak razor. It was a well known european brand. Loved how it shaved. But after only a few months of use (not even everyday use) I noticed plate loss and corrosion on the threads. I did not abuse this razor in any way. I didn't use it to failure. I just stopped using it. But the writing was on the wall. It was going to fail at some point whether that be a few months or a few years down the line.

No it didn't cost very much. Only a third as much as my Rockwell and half what my vintage fat boy cost. Some people are ok with viewing their razor as a disposable product. Nothing wrong with that at all. I just personally prefer razors that will last decades and not a few years.

Point well taken. There are always quality control issues or luck of the draw so to speak. I've bought five zamak razors and have never had issues with plating or alignment. The fifth one was a Merkur 34c which I gifted to a friend who was having issues with a Perfecto I gave him to start with. I think it comes down to is how well was it plated. I wish Muhle would change the screw to brass like Merkur and wish Merkur's plating was as good as Muhle...but that is why I have spare parts.

Francesco, I have been wet shaving for 60 years and certainly understand the interaction of a razor with hot soapy water. A razor should only require a rinse after use, not disassembly, not lubrication and certainly not drying with a towel. It's not my use and care of a razor that is at issue, it's the crap these razors are manufactured with and not just crappy material but crappy engineering and lack of pride by the manufacturers as well.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Francesco, I have been wet shaving for 60 years and certainly understand the interaction of a razor with hot soapy water. A razor should only require a rinse after use, not disassembly, not lubrication and certainly not drying with a towel. It's not my use and care of a razor that is at issue, it's the crap these razors are manufactured with and not just crappy material but crappy engineering and lack of pride by the manufacturers as well.

I just give mine a rinse and pat with a towel during the week. I don't like the look of any soap residue. Have you ever shaved with a r41? Engineering wise it shaves beautifully.

I think that is a little unfair. I have been using my EJ since 2008 with no signs of corrosion, pitting etc. However you get what you pay for. If you want a razor to last a lifetime, buy a Feather AS-D2 or an ATT. If you want an efficient, well engineered and well finished razor that will probably outlast you then buy one with a Zamac head. If it doesn't outlast you then replace it. Muhle and EJ razors are not crappy in any respect but they are built to reflect their cost. Incidentally I also use a Feather, a Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" (since 1969) and a Toggle. They all have their plusses and minuses.

Exactly.

But I do believe that Neil Jagger does take pride in what they do since they are willing to send out free replacement top plates (if you ask nicely). I'm sure that all the failures from the crappy material is the reason he decided to produce a stainless steel razor. It might be a stainless DE89, but I hope it is an open comb version.

I just give mine a rinse and pat with a towel during the week. I don't like the look of any soap residue. Have you ever shaved with a r41? Engineering wise it shaves beautifully.

This is going to be my next razor. I wish I had the option to buy a stainless steel R41 even if the cost was higher. Maybe I should wait to see what Neil Jagger has up his sleeve.

Stainless razors are the best way to go provided they can produced for a reasonable cost, like Weber. Brass is ideal since it builds a protective patina rather than a corrosive one and SS can rust depending on the alloy.

The problem as I see it is that guys not only continue to buy inferior products at inflated prices but actually spend hours defending the products on these forums, nothing is going to change as long as that continues.

I agree that EJ is probably one of the best in terms of standing behind their products, rare nowadays. The problem behind most plating issues is in the cleaning of the base metal before plating, occasionally plating voltage gets to be an issue but it's easier to correct.

Last edited:
I find it curious that some people who don't like zamak and have never used one lay claims to their longevity.

I see your point. But I also find it curious that just because others point out that a zamak razor isn't as durable as a stainless or brass razor that they are hating on the zamak products. Most are not. They are simply pointing out that the materials it is built with are not as durable.

Yep, I have a DE89, a Pearl, and a RazoRock old type, I just wish they were brass.

$download.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Exactly.

But I do believe that Neil Jagger does take pride in what they do since they are willing to send out free replacement top plates (if you ask nicely). I'm sure that all the failures from the crappy material is the reason he decided to produce a stainless steel razor. It might be a stainless DE89, but I hope it is an open comb version.

This is going to be my next razor. I wish I had the option to buy a stainless steel R41 even if the cost was higher. Maybe I should wait to see what Neil Jagger has up his sleeve.

That would be neat. For me the r41 gives a bbs in 2 passes easily wtg,xtg. if you like the feel of blade on your face It's the bomb.

The R41 should come with the same price tag as other Zamak razors, $18~$20 would be good!

To answer the OP's question, I'd say 3 years easy for a modern razor, and 5+ years if there is nothing unusual to add to the equation such as the water where you live, dropping, or a bad razor to begin with.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The R41 should come with the same price tag as other Zamak razors, $18~$20 would be good!

To answer the OP's question, I'd say 3 years easy for a modern razor, and 5+ years if there is nothing unusual to add to the equation such as the water where you live, dropping, or a bad razor to begin with.

Ahhh, It is what it is though. :sad: On the other hand a good night out with the Mrs. cost quite a bit more.

To quote Edwin Jagger: "Warning: Do not over tighten the DE head. Cast metal is fragile if dropped". This is from their website.

That reflects my actual experience. The Futur may have been corroded long before I discovered the problem since I didn't know how to get it apart to inspect the threaded post. It was in a dangerous condition when I did get it apart.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The problem as I see it is that guys not only continue to buy inferior products at inflated prices but actually spend hours defending the products on these forums, nothing is going to change as long as that continues.

I agree that EJ is probably one of the best in terms of standing behind their products, rare nowadays. The problem behind most plating issues is in the cleaning of the base metal before plating, occasionally plating voltage gets to be an issue but it's easier to correct.

The German's make zamak razors. That's just what they do and have forever. Do I wish it was different? Sure, I would buy an all brass r41. But they don't. I will defend it's performance though, and I'm not someone going in blind and am prepared for any eventuality.

The current Italian Fatip all brass razors are the best value for the money out there (imo), and for the most part comparably priced to the German razors. Even better pricing where the Piccolo is concerned. I picked mine up for $19.00 dollars new from Maggard's. Their open comb razors are awesome.They should easily compete with Merkur and Muhle/EJ (r89/EJ-89 heads are the same). Do you ever see Fatip in the top ten list of modern razors made? You should! Fatip seems to have quite a growing following though. I think they made a smart move coming out with a closed comb suitable as a beginner razor. I most definitely would like to see Fatip cut into more of the market and I support them by buying them. I'll probably buy more of the closed comb to gift to newbies. They are a company worthy of support. Oh, and I have zero alignment issues with the three Fatips I own. Their quality control seems to be improving, or perhaps I have incredible luck buying razors. Even if I had to tweak the blade a little on any Fatip I bought for the price it would be no big deal.

Last edited:

I started that thread back in 2013.

Well I'm still using the same 2011 R41 that I had then. Apart from the obvious, don't drop it, don't overtighten it. All staining of the male threads stopped when I started using a dab of silicone grease on the threads every time I changed the blade. Other than that I don't do anything special other than a good rinse after the shave. Used to dip the razor in alcohol as well but I stopped doing that.

And no, my spares aren't for sale.

The fear of Zamak is pretty funny for me. I never broke a razor, Zamak or not, and I don't plan to. I also never dropped on on the floor.
If this alloy is the reason for DE89 being $30 instead of $100, in all honesty, praise Zamak, as he is our savior!

I think that people are a bit crazy with their razors. I see people that take them apart, give them an alcohol rub after each shave, they disinfect the blade. As long as you do all that, I think that all the rubbing and screwing/unscrewing does more harm than good.

The fear of Zamak is pretty funny for me. I never broke a razor, Zamak or not, and I don't plan to. I also never dropped on on the floor.
If this alloy is the reason for DE89 being $30 instead of $100, in all honesty, praise Zamak, as he is our savior!

I think that people are a bit crazy with their razors. I see people that take them apart, give them an alcohol rub after each shave, they disinfect the blade. As long as you do all that, I think that all the rubbing and screwing/unscrewing does more harm than good.

Tbh, a Fatip razor made of brass is almost the same price as a zamak razor.
Of course, if you looking at all stainless steel machined razor, it's another story and the price won't be so cheap but able to last a really long time.

Top Bottom