What's new

How do you store your gear?

I’m currently settling into a new house. I have some open display shelving in my bedroom. My side has been packed full of shaving gear. There’s currently an 8x2” hole on the stone shelf. I’ll have to fix that. 🤔 Strops hang from the inside of my wardrobe door. Some odds and ends are in the cupboard below the shelves.

IMG_1008.jpeg

Anything that can pass for knife honing equipment lives in the kitchen over the fridge. It’s a stretch but I’m the only one in the house that can reach it.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpeg
    IMG_1018.jpeg
    859 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1014.jpeg
    IMG_1014.jpeg
    756.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    803.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    911.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    972.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    931.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    834.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I don't see myself becoming a minimalist but I have been thinning out my gear. I had accumulated quite a few nice soaps early on but since I discovered I can't use scented soaps, just today, I reduced my soaps to 8 in number, 6 unscented and 2 very, very lightly scented ones.

I think I had 23 brushes at one point but I'm down to 11, though three of them are being reknotted so they are in transit. no..... make that 12... I do have one on the way though I doubt I'll get it in June.. maybe July.

The razor list has been going up and down, but I'll cull that herd as time goes on, I'm sure.

The point to all this musing? I don't seem to have a space problem. I'm using less space now than 6 months ago, that's for sure. I do like it when everything has a home and I don't have to hunt for stuff, so the gear will continue to be organized.
That's the one thing I haven't overdone is brushes, I think the most expensive one I have is a Simpson synthetic !!! i have 4 total brushes , been at this for 13 plus years now!!!:)

I’ve lucked out on this front as part of my marriage “agreement” the wife gets the whole house to do as she wishes and I get the smallest bedroom as my office (I do work from home more often than not) so I have a large medicine cabinet mounted behind the door and a little corner shelf that holds my brushes, some of my soap collection, and aftershaves I have a door hanger that holds the most of my soaps none of this can be seen if the door is open which it stays most of the time. Blades are in small plastic storage boxes in the closet, along with my out of rotation razors and a few soaps and aftershaves, and shaving related misc stuff. My wife and I share (I use that word loosely) a shelf in the bathroom which I keep my in rotation collection of razors, my brush and aftershave for the day, and my used everyday to almost everyday stuff like my alum block, witch hazel, Star Jelly’s etc.. For a small three bedroom house it works pretty well.

My Den set-up occupied a corner of the bathroom wash basin area. Until I vanished down this rabbit hole, the bathroom was dominated by the wife's shampoos, conditioners, body washes, scrubs, unguents, ointments, clips, braids, scalps of enemies defeated in battle, and, I'm sure, some treasures plundered from sundry Mesopotamian tombs. Every drawer in our 6-drawer wash unit was filled with her stuff, and I had to fight to get one, narrow drawer to store my razor, blades, and other toiletries.

So as my wet shave collection built, I quietly occupied a corner of the worktop and had my razors and brushes there, neatly stored in test tube racks. My soaps and creams went above the bathroom mirror on a shelf I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond:

IMG_0449 Medium.png

Then, a couple of days ago, my wife commented on the razor invasion, and how cluttered things looked. I remarked on the size of her shampoo collection, inviting much wrath, but was encouraged to install some shelves or cabinetry on the side of the cupboard unit flanking the sink area. Leaping at the chance, Amazon supplied some shelves at a really good price (set of shelves for about CAD $30), along with a rail for a hand towel. Below is the new set-up:

IMG_0448 Medium.png

It looks rather good, and even my wife approved, saying it looks like a proper Edwardian barbershop, which I took as a huge compliment.

Now... how to thin out that shampoo collection without her noticing?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My Den set-up occupied a corner of the bathroom wash basin area. Until I vanished down this rabbit hole, the bathroom was dominated by the wife's shampoos, conditioners, body washes, scrubs, unguents, ointments, clips, braids, scalps of enemies defeated in battle, and, I'm sure, some treasures plundered from sundry Mesopotamian tombs. Every drawer in our 6-drawer wash unit was filled with her stuff, and I had to fight to get one, narrow drawer to store my razor, blades, and other toiletries.

So as my wet shave collection built, I quietly occupied a corner of the worktop and had my razors and brushes there, neatly stored in test tube racks. My soaps and creams went above the bathroom mirror on a shelf I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond:

View attachment 1717081

Then, a couple of days ago, my wife commented on the razor invasion, and how cluttered things looked. I remarked on the size of her shampoo collection, inviting much wrath, but was encouraged to install some shelves or cabinetry on the side of the cupboard unit flanking the sink area. Leaping at the chance, Amazon supplied some shelves at a really good price (set of shelves for about CAD $30), along with a rail for a hand towel. Below is the new set-up:

View attachment 1717084

It looks rather good, and even my wife approved, saying it looks like a proper Edwardian barbershop, which I took as a huge compliment.

Now... how to thin out that shampoo collection without her noticing?

I hear about that kind of thing all the time. I think its hilarious how woman push hard for equality. But as soon as they get you locked into a marriage, they want to dominate the house and control your life. They make commands like, you shall not take up more then a drawers space for your stuff, while she, takes up the entire house with all my crap. Yeah, and you wonder why I am not married? Then when you slap a bit of fact in her face, she gets mad, even though your in the right, but she will never admit that.

I live single, it might be a bit of a lonely life, but at least I can do whatever the heck I want. Besides, I spend a portion of my life helping other's, and I do get enjoyment out of that. Plus, I also get enjoying out of my hobbies like shaving and coffee. Here is my collection, and you might recognize the shelving hehe.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

IDK, maybe every house should have two bathrooms, this way one is dedicated to her, and one is dedicated to you. If there ever is even the slightest possibility of me getting married someday, I will let her know straight away, that I embrace equality, and that is, I expect her to treat me as equally good as I treat her, and I won't be no servant in the relationship either.

You get what you get in life, and people wonder why the divorce rate is the highest its ever been in these modern years. Well think of it, people get married for the wrong reasons, and wonder why it collapses in on itself like a tin can 2000 feet bellow the surface of the water lol.

I hear about that kind of thing all the time. I think its hilarious how woman push hard for equality. But as soon as they get you locked into a marriage, they want to dominate the house and control your life. They make commands like, you shall not take up more then a drawers space for your stuff, while she, takes up the entire house with all my crap. Yeah, and you wonder why I am not married? Then when you slap a bit of fact in her face, she gets mad, even though your in the right, but she will never admit that.

I live single, it might be a bit of a lonely life, but at least I can do whatever the heck I want. Besides, I spend a portion of my life helping other's, and I do get enjoyment out of that. Plus, I also get enjoying out of my hobbies like shaving and coffee. Here is my collection, and you might recognize the shelving hehe.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

IDK, maybe every house should have two bathrooms, this way one is dedicated to her, and one is dedicated to you. If there ever is even the slightest possibility of me getting married someday, I will let her know straight away, that I embrace equality, and that is, I expect her to treat me as equally good as I treat her, and I won't be no servant in the relationship either.

You get what you get in life, and people wonder why the divorce rate is the highest its ever been in these modern years. Well think of it, people get married for the wrong reasons, and wonder why it collapses in on itself like a tin can 2000 feet bellow the surface of the water lol.
One thing I will say in my (lovely) wife's defence is that she actually doesn't mind or question me spending money on shaving gear. I never have to justify, never have to bargain, and, when we were at an antique fair a few weeks ago, and I saw a very nice Gillette '47 Aristocrat in presentation case, she didn't mind at all when I wanted it. We both have our hobbies and interests, and we never question or curtail either's.

I do wish I had a slightly bigger drawer though. And I highly commend you on your shelving and razor storage choices. You are clearly a person of refinement and taste. :)

I don't have a lot shaving stuff, relatively speaking, so whatever is in use currently sits on the bathroom counter. Overflow is stored in some of these under-the-cabinet sliding shelves I got on the 'zon. I've had them for years and they work really well.

Shelves.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a lot shaving stuff, relatively speaking, so whatever is in use currently sits on the bathroom counter. Overflow is stored in some of these under-the-cabinet sliding shelves I got on the 'zon. I've had them for years and they work really well.

View attachment 1724606
Good idea!
I use square baskets similar to those but they're just stacked up. Not very practical!
I'm going to take a look at something like that with sliding baskets.

Everything is in my “drawers of shame”.

I have a huge antique dresser that hold all of the crap that my wife doesn’t want to see. Soaps, blades, brushes and even fragrances and knives.

I have a tiny bathroom with no counter space so I get the 2½ feet between the wall and a pipe behind the bathroom door as well as one shelf in the medicine cabinet. Only problem is the shelves can only be so wide or the door will hit them and it's hard to find 30"x 2½" shelves.
I "repurposed" some materials from work for the bottom metal shelf that holds the bigger soaps and brushes. And plexiglass pieces with some aluminum angle bar for the razors and aftershaves which is okay for now, but will need to be upgraded soon.
I found some cheap acrylic picture frame shelves that are 1½" inside, which just fits most of the artisan tubs I have.
The medicine cabinet has the overflow aftershaves, balms and blades.
It's not the best storage solution, but it works for now and I like having them out to view and smell rather than being tucked away under the sink or in a bin.

20231002_215858.jpg

These are the ones I'm using, but there are plenty of other options: Stackable 2-Tier Under Sink Cabinet Organizer
I ended up buying a pair from Amazon.
$20 with a coupon. Nice quality too!
These were the only ones I found that would work because of the pipes under the sink. They partially block one side so I had to find a set that came as a combo with 2 different sizes. One is more narrow than the other. Perfect fit!
So now I have some organization down there to complement my razors that I keep on rotation on top of the counter.
The razors I don't frequently use are in their boxes in my closet.
Thanks for the idea!

full

full

Top Bottom